+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: my little nursery progress

my little nursery progress

spent the day digging a drainage ditch.
    cleaned out some others.
    and then potted rooted 2 yr old carlesii compactum viburnum's.220 of them.most went into gallon pots with a few going into 2 gallon because of the root ball.mixed some more soil in preparation of potting other plants.just trying to get a jump on spring.
    built mikes simple potting bench yesterday morning.
    the one he puts on the compost pile .i have mine sitting on another bench for now.
    its in the big greenhouse where i mix my soil .tryin to get the hang of potting in succesion as mike does it .viburnums have linbs going everywhich way and are top heavy.i dont want to prune them yet so i can get cuttings from them in may & june. i do six at a time, three pots per hand as they go back outside.
    it started out at 93║degrees early this afternoon , so i turned on the vents and exhaust fan and cooled it off to 85║ and was still sweatin workin in a Tshirt.
    it was an enjoyable day for me and RUSTY my golden retriever. well i had fun. he supervised. he works me like a DOG!!!
    shepp zone5/6

Shepp,
    Sure sounds like an enjoyable day! I used to have a golden retriever (but someone stole him, !) He was my buddy dog. We had a rash of purebred dogs coming up missing in this part of the county.
    Your lil' ole nursery sounds like the right kind of 'therapy' for me. Someday, someday. . . . . working on it

Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Here is a post that i just made on

another private board i am on.
    maybe it can inspire someone here on Landspro too.

Perennials
    by sheppard L. H . (Login XXXX) dud login... cant be used)
    Backyard Growers Association

There are many perennials that one can start growing to get a foothold in this backyard biz.
    blackeyed susans one that is hardy " rudbeckia folgida Goldsturm. several others that are hardy further south.
    Daisies- doubles ,single short or tall.
    coneflowers purple magnus ,white swan,
    mexican hat.
    gallardia.
    yellow iris.
    ornamental grass from seed too.
    i am sure others can name some more.
    i started out with these and some others my first year at the farmers market. and did ok.
    well enuf i knew i would continue growing this biz.
    it was enuf for the proverbial seed money- to buy some pots and more seed and to build my mist system.
    what i am trying to convey is start small but start something.you dont need a greenhouse!. a coldframe could be handy but not neccessary.some seed, soil and 2quart pots and a year for the perennials to be old enuf to bloom for you and a shingle that says open for bizness.
    and perennials are fun also.
    it can be done i know !
    anyone want to add to this list of perennials please do and maybe tell us why you grow them to sell and what zone they are for.
    shepp zone5/6

Posted on Mar 1, 2004, 6:37 PM

Shepp,

Speaking of seed money... Have you ever purchased a plant (perennial, annual, etc.) specifically to use to grow in order to harvest seed? I did that with an annual purple grass seed last year and harvested 1,000's of seeds. As soon as it gets warm, I intend to plant them and harvest 100,000's more. It is a grass called 'Purple Majesty' and it is beautiful yet the seed is terribly expensive.

I know that sometimes I will purchase a 6 pack of Marigolds for $0.97, for instance, simply because I know that if I plant them, I can harvest 1,000s of seeds whereas if bought the seed, I would have to wait for them to germinate and mature before getting more seeds.

I have done that with impatients, petunias, perennials and all kinds of plants that I know I can easily reproduce by cuttings/seeds. For instance, Datura seeds are ridiculously expensive. I can purchase a plant, and in one portion of a season, it will produce 100+ seeds or I can pay $$$ for only 15 seeds. I can also take cuttings and they root readily and will grow into plants that produce even more seeds.

Any thoughts? Anyone?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

getting started

Hi All,
    Thanks for the good advice and lessons learned Shepp.

I had thoughts along those lines of starting a bunch of perennials from seeds. I am going to winter sow as many as I can! Just got done doing a trade, (13 actually) for different seeds. Haven't counted them all. Hoping to get some double rose of sharon seeds (thinking of you Shepp.)

I have bunches of seeds from Agastache 'Blue fortune'(Nice plant in my gardens), 'east friesland' salvia, blackeyed susans, purple coneflower, white swan coneflower, 6 different kinds of tall garden phlox (plants). Plus I have forsythia, weigela, privet, and red-twig dogwood in a sand bed (at least 100). That have to be potted up. I have about 50 different kinds of seeds and don't realalistically (sp?) know if I can grow that many. So I'm going to be in for a learning lesson!

My grower/ reseller license is going to be 100.00 bucks. There is a new flea market opening about 5 miles away. I've managed to collect lots of pots (4", 1 & 2 gal.) Need 2 or 3 loads of aged compost. Can get 5-6 yds. on the DH dump truck. Makes me tired just reading this post. But the good kinda tired!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Ann
    yes i collect seed
    all i have started this year are from collected seed
    daisies
    coneflower white and magnus
    ornamental grass.
    fescue and miscanthus sinensis ulalia!
    blackeyed susan fulgida goldsturm.
    i wish i had the purple millet seed you speak of ann.
    i dont have any double rose of sharon
    no salvia , or agastache etc that vickie speaks of.
    but hey i am open for anything .
    if it sells well i am all ears.
    shepp zone5/6

Shepp,
    If you e-mail me your address, I have seeds to share.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

deleted email due to virus and spammers!
    i dont have any seeds left i have started them all this year.
    thanks shepp
    Last edited by shepp; 03-04-2004 at 02:39 PM.

Thanks for the seeds Vickie.
    we spent the day saturday making hanging baskets 139.
    a little over 100 more to do.
    7 weeks for them to finish out for mothers day weekend.
    wish me luck and sunny days and warm nites.
    tonites forcast low is 20║ , wind chillrite now is 23║.
    both GH are at their max capacity rite now.but some how i will find a way to get more in it. greenhouse work is kinda like dairy farming , no time to rest.
    but the barn smells better.
    shepp zone5/6
    Last edited by shepp; 04-04-2004 at 08:15 AM.

Shepp,

Yesterday, it was 85 degrees and absolutely no breeze. It felt HOT!

Today, it was 75 degrees and quite windy. It felt GREAT!

It is supposed to be 40 degrees tomorrow morning, and I will probably have a light frost on the top of my car in this little microclimate, but the newly sprouting plants should be okay unless it gets colder than they forecast.

Tomorrow is the last day for my Mom to get everything from the old 'homestead' where we grew up. Seems odd that it will be gone....

My brother helped her dig up as much as he could. Yesterday, they came by with a huge bucket full of cuttings from her antique rose, confederate rose, fig trees and hydrangeas. The bucket had turned over in the back of the truck, so all of that fresh, new tender growth was terribly wilted, They have been outside in fresh water, and it looks like they will make it.

Surprisingly, even the newly formed leaves on the hydrangea and figs have perked up.

I'll be potting cuttings for her in the next few days. I suppose I will have to bring the bucket into the garage for the next couple of nights since it is going to get so cold.

Isn't spring wonderful? Five more days, and I'll be on Spring break. I've been working in the yard, weeding, planting and mulching.

Guess what? Those cheap Trilliums that I purchased from Lowes? I thought they didn't make it... They are sprouting, and are they pretty little leaves! I'm going to make a shade bed for them right where the pots are sitting. I am thrilled!

Call me a NUT! I love the wakening of Spring!

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Spent the day

Repotting Persian cornflowers,blackeyed susans,some arborvitaes. cleaned up the growing area.potted up a size of cottinus goggygria "grace" smokebush. and some rose of sharon "diana" into 2 gallons.
    divided some miscanthus grass boy was that stuff tuff.i didnt get that job done.finish it tomorrow.gonna do some hanging baskets tomorrow.some blue wave petunias.impatiens ,verbena,and some more calibrachoa,along with some trailing snapdragons.
    i hurt all over. almost finished with dividing plants and potting them up a size. pruning of plants comes real soon!
    shepp zone5/6

me,too

Have also been dividing,potting,repotting and potting up. It has been nice weather here this week. Have about 50 flats of seeds started that are about ready to pot. Will be potting those all summer.
    Farmer's Market starts next Saturday. Hope it is still warm and dry. This is race week here in Bristol so can't get out much anyway(too much traffic). We can hear the cars from the greenhouse and see the fireworks from the front porch. So if anyone wants to "hear" a Nascar race come on down and I'll let you listen while you pot.
    tennessee sue

More Potting

Didnt do any HB today.
    spent the day potting dwf korean lilacs from the mist beds they were 2 year olds.
    did some burning bush.
    pruned some potted snow in summer perennials . dianthus
    ipswich and spring beauty and moved them to the coldframe so i have all of my perrennials in the same place.
    cut the old growth off of some grasses in the landscape.
    watered hanging baskets.
    gonna try and clean up the garden railroad tomorrow.
    best laid plans of mice and men.it didnt run any last year.
    hopefully thats not the case this year.
    almost done potting and repotting.just a few thousand more rooted cuttings to go. and its gonna be time to do more!!!
    shepp tuckered out in zone5/6

monday the 29th

i had an order arrive the box was almost destroyed.
    tree tops and limbs were broken on the yoshino cherry's
    the kousa dogwoods were extremely moldy.
    despite that i had to pot the plants and used a fungicide on the mold.
    we worked late into the evening getting plants potted and watered. finished the last 25 laceleaf maples on tuesday evening.
    wednesday another order arrived from a different company.
    200 rhodo's and 100 azaleas.we managed to get them potted that nite.it has rained everyday and evening this week.the ground squishes when you take a step. looking forward to April showers.just looked at the calendar i guess i can quit looking forward huh time to look toward May and sales.
    shepp zone5/6

Have FUN, Shepp!

Did I see on the news that you are actually supposed to get some snow in the next couple of days?

It has cooled off some here. Highs in the mid 70's is nice. Those 80's get hot really quick when you are not used to them.

Lots of wind, too! Just NO rain, so it seems that I need to prepare for springtime droughts every year. Bummer! You know as well as I do that if I am prepared, it will rain like crazy.

I will not complain, though. Cool sunshine has been NICE!

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast