+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Signs of Spring....

The low this morning was 38 degrees at the airport which is 5 miles north of here. There was a heavy frost or should I say frozen dew on my car, but when I came home, all of my uncovered tropical plants outside were okay. There was only a slight sign of freezer burn here and there.

Even in the temporary lean-to on the north side of the patio contained no damage. I was surprised since that cheap plastic did not make it through 3 months of winter. There was a huge slit about 6-8 foot long on a crease (fold) in the plastic.

All of those near 80 degree days must have warmed the ground enough to protect the plants.

Go figure...

I won't complain!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann & All,
    Well it was looking good here for a few days. (way to few). We are now getting snow AGAIN! We have about 2 inches, which I can say does look pristine as all the leftover dirty snow is now white again.
    Don't have to worry about the daffs as they are about 1". I thought maybe I had planted them to deep.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

The Thunbergia cutting from a cutting that I planted the ground has emerged. The original cutting in the 5 gallon pot was left unprotected, and it has yet to start sprouting.

The Thunbergia Battiscombi has sprouted and is about 8 inches tall and looking extremely healthy. I am thrilled.

I was given some Forsythia and dwarf Forsythia, and even though they are still in one gallon pots, they are blooming like crazy. I didn't realize the blooms lasted this long. I like them, and I know where they will go in my garden.

The Daffodills and Paperwhites are going to seed. The garden Amaryllis still in the pot has a bloom stalk.

Candy lilies are emerging rapidly. I like this little plant...

Dwarf Canna lilies have sprouted.

Lorepetullam (spell), is loaded with fringe like blooms.

The Purple Smoke bush (now more like a tree) is sprouting.

The variegated Weigellia as well as others are sprouting leaves and putting on their first blooms.

My Confederate rose did not die back which is an indication of a mild winter. It is in the coldest area of my yard and is sprouting new growth on the old wood.

The antique roses are starting to bud and bloom.

I have a new oak leaf hydrangea that is sprouting and ready for the ground.

Some of the hardy Hibiscus seeds that Kathypat sent me are now coming out of dormancy.

I could go on and on....

Do you know what the nice thing about being a teacher is????

I will have all summer off while the paycheck still comes in....

This summer, I am looking forward to shopping for GARDEN JUNK and making lots and lots of cuttings and growing lots and lots of seeds and buying a BIG Greenhouse to protect them over the winter until they are big enough for the ground!

It's spring, and I'm like a kid in the candy store....

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4