+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Signs of Spring....

Looking at Springs of Yesteryears....

I spent a little time looking at pictures uploaded from my old video camera during the last few springs...

I truly hope that we do not get a really hard late freeze like last year. So very many blooms were melted.

Can you tell? I am truly looking forward to the spring and summer break!

I looked through the entire T&M catalog and picked a few specimens to order. I also looked through some of the others that sponsor Landspro. There are several plants (well, more than several) that I hope to purchase next month.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I am ready for SPRING!

Oh, I noticed a few azalea blooms opening. What a surprise!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

AC Time!!!!

Yep, it was in the mid 70's today. Lows forecasted in the 60s for awhile.

We are forecasted for above frost for the next two weeks which takes us up until the last average frost date.

Crossing my fingers.... Yet, I don't dare remove the plastic until I know for sure! I can start removing and washing frost blacket. After all, I can always cover them again!

I can't wait for spring break!

I'm getting the FEVER, and it's getting hard to concentrate....

Shepp, your enthusiasm is not making it any easier! LAS!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

even in MI

Hi All,
    Even in cold snowy west mi. there are signs of spring! At least the snow in melting big time. Lots of bare ground. My mounded beds are all bare and I can see some green! The ones that are green all year, but still green!

I got some good containers for winter sowing and am going to do that tomorrow. Found my seed starting mix, and it's not froze.

It was in the high 40's here all week and 56 yesterday! Really makes the spring fever kick in. Today was rainy and about 50.

Sure hope I didn't plant my daffodils too deep.
    Last edited by vicki; 03-01-2004 at 08:22 PM.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki,

I see more and more of the smiley faces of my daffodils popping up every day, and what a joy!

How deep do you plant them up there? They don't have to be planted very deeply here, but when they are planted deeper, they simply take a little longer to bloom.

How exciting that you are starting to see signs of spring up there too!

I'm READY!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Gee for some reason I didn't picture daffodils as growing in Alabama. Ann is right about planting depth and time to sprout. I had moved a bed of daffodils about 6 feet away from where they were and planted them 'properly'--measured depth and used bone meal. I thought I had moved them all but along came some that I apparently didn't find in the 'old' bed; they had really never been taken care of well. I'm pretty sure they were not planted too deeply and were probably tossed around as I dug the bed intending to move them all--the 'leftovers' are now about 6 inches high and carrying buds. The other ones that got all the TLC are just barely poking their heads through the soil.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Pics

Ann, those are beautiful pics. Luv the Lantana and the variegated vinca. I've never seen flowers on a lantana like that before and the flower on the vince is huge. Do you know where I could get seeds for them?

Thanks, Donna
    Donna

I have never had the lavender lantana or the variegated vinca produce seed, but they both tend to be a little on the invasive side. I would never complain about that because they are easily pulled up and they are pretty.

The lantana flower clusters are a little larger than one inch. The same with the flower on the variegated vinca (perennial form).

The variegated vinca always blooms in late winter, but it is unusual for me to see the lantana bloom this time of the year, so we must have had a mild winter and the brick kept them warm.

I started both from 4" potted plants and both have spread quite rapidly, so it is worth it if you can purchase a starting plant.

The lantana is not hardy, but the variegated vinca is supposed to be hardier. Both are grown as hanging basket plants, especially in mixed baskets.

Of course, if they are grown in hanging baskets, they have to be protected for the winter.

Does any of that make sense?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Lantana & Vinca

Yes, thanks Ann. Except now I still have to find them.
    Donna
    Donna

Just keep your eyes open.... They are bound to show up!

Our weather here has really turned warm. We have been having 80's for highs. It is supposed to cool down some tomorrow evening, but no frost forecasted.

I am truly ready to start planting, and I can't wait for more blooms. Forsythia is in bloom now. My big pear tree is in bloom and almost fully leafed out...

I see more and more plants waking up every day!

Privet seeds are everywhere....

Oh, Well!

Spring is definitely arriving here!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Donna,

Maybe later I could dig you up some, but right now, I am snowed with this being a new teacher and graduate course thing...

I miss my gardening and propagating, but this has to wait things settle down.

Meanwhile, just keep your eyes open at the garden center!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Spring is popping up all over here in my little spot of Central Indiana, and am I glad for it!

Enjoy,

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Spring

Thanks, Ann. Sounds like you are very busy. Rebecca, I'm still here, been very busy to. The daylily seeds I did plant are about 6 inches tall. I did lose a whole bunch of seeds that didn't sprout at all. When I checked the soil for the seed....nothing. They must have went to daylily heaven.
    Donna
    Donna

Blog Entries

Donna,

Don't feel bad, I've got three whole pots of seeds refusing to grow and they were all pre-sprouted! I've been getting 90 to 100% gernination on most of the seeds, but there are some seedlings that are awfully pale. Will give them a dose of "SuperThrive" and Fish Emulsion to see if that won't perk them up. Otherwise, to the compost pile they go since I do not have time nor space to baby any seedlings.

Wom't be much longer and we'll be getting our babies outside and hardened off for planting out in the beds. Mine will go into the cold frame in April, just need to buy a lamp to give them a bit of warmth at night.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Daylily seeds

Rebecca, I did move the little babies into bigger containers. I just feel so bad that I didn't get as many as I thought out of the batch I planted. But I do still have lots and lots of your seeds to plant. I've got some brugmansia seeds that have sprouted, so I'm excited about that. I did plant some datura but I think the pellet pots were to wet...I haven't seen a sprout yet. I'm sure learning by my errors....lol.
    Donna

Datura, depending on the age of the seed can take more time to germinate, so don't give up on them!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast