+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fire Ants

Fire Ants

I was warned, but had my first encounter today. How do I kill them. I am looking for a mean, nasty, painful method. I do not just want to get rid of them I want revenge!
    Jim Lang

hey jimbo . do a search on landspro .i think there is alot of info archived.

Thanks, Shepp!

Even better, go to http://www.aces.edu and do a search on fire ants.

In short, in order to kill the bed, you have to kill the queen ant. That is why so many times you think you have destroyed a bed only to see another one formed.

The best fire ant control that I have found is AMDRO. The idea is that the bait is taken to the queen and when she eats it, the colony scatters and unless there is another queen to take her place, the rest perish.

I have heard stories about sprinkling the beds with grits. The theory is that the ants will eat the grits which will swell when it rains and kill the ants. After trying this, I gave up on it.

Welcome to the SOUTH, and sorry about those ants! They arrived in the port of Mobile on a shipment of bananas and have spread throughout the south.

I agree! They are beasts!

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The D*** bumps still itch. I would like to torture the little buggers. I prefer mosquitoes and bitting flys anyday.
    Jim Lang

Try a product called Caladryl. It comes in a pink bottle and leaves a pink film on the skin, but it is worth it because it does relieve the itch better than anything else I can find.

It's a calamine lotion plus an itch reliever. If you don't relieve the itch, you will end up with a deep sore that takes forever to heal.

Keep in mind that when these critters attack, they attack all at once.

Don't use the clear stuff. It doesn't work as well...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread