+ Reply to Thread

Thread: call me crazy but I would like to grow some hedgeapples

call me crazy but I would like to grow some hedgeapples

does anyone have some that I might get a few seeds from?

ok your crazy
    i forget where you live , but if you have any farms in your area do a drive by they are laying near roads around here.
    or stop and ask a farmer near you who has osage orange tree's growing on their farm.
    whats the attraction with them.they can be a brutally mean tree.
    the wood was used for ballisters in a staircase . and spokes for wagon wheels . today they make longbows from the wood.
    another note RED ELM was used for wagon tounges because of its strength and ability to bend somewhat. and the tree grows straight and true with small knots.
    take a drive in the country.
    shepp

Blog Entries
    Good Gravy Telecaster ! Hedgeapples--those big green bumpy round things ?! Well, it isn't exactly hedgeapple season but, yes, I do know where I can find some. I'll take a look in the coming weeks and see what's left on the ground. They might be too rotted right now. But if you can wait until summer I'm sure I can supply you with some hedgeapples--or maybe some baby hedgeapple sapplings.
    [As an aside, most cattlemen hate these things. My friend has black angus and lost one because it choked to death on a hedgeapple.]
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 02-22-2004 at 09:20 AM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    OK, hedgeapples have been located. We've got over a hundred trees lining one of our nearby roads. I've seen the 'apples' on the ground. They appear quite oogy, but I'll venture over in the coming weeks and check one out--have no idea if the 'seeds' will be apparent. Any idea what they look like ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

My grandmother used to look for hedgeapples to put in her cabinets to repel bugs. Seems we found them near the lake around here. I haven't seen but one tree in years.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread