+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Growth Rates for Rose Of Sharon & Crepe Myrtle

Blog Entries

Growth Rates for Rose Of Sharon & Crepe Myrtle

Does anyone have an idea of how fast does Rose of Sharon grow from SEED? (inches/ foot per year) and how long to bloom? Same question for Crepe Myrtle(from seed).
    Thank you, Cathy
    57 degrees , sunny in Kansas
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

I cannot believe that I missed answering this one...

The answer to both is that they will grow at least a foot a year. The more established the roots, the faster they will grow.

The crepe myrtle should bloom the first year from seed, but the Rose of Sharon may possibly take two year.

A cutting from both will bloom the next season.

Sorry you had to wait so long for an answer....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Thanks ! What a hoot ! Well time goes by so quickly it might as well have been just yesterday !

Also, Is it OK to plant the crepe myrtle seeds(left from last Fall) now ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I would think so!

Give them a try, Cathy and let us know...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

ROS red heart.

i started them from seed in january in the GH . growth has been almost 2 feet. no bloom as of yet.
    rooting thru the pot into the ground. 2 quart pot.
    shepp zone 5/6

Wow!

shepp,
    You must take good care of those babies. That's a nice size. Didn't imagine that grew that quickly. My hardy hibisicus that I winter sowed is about 4"! They sprouted in late May. They're still in their community pot and are on tomorrows to do list.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

red heart ros

i think it was january i was really bored i started them in the heated little GH. so they are about 6 months old +- they have some leaf yellowing, but i think thats a character trait . i think i will give them some compost tea in the next few days.maybe they will get deeper green.
    shepp zone5/6

Hibiscus, in general, have a way of telling you when they are under a little stress. Their way is usually yellowing and falling leaves.

It can happen with changes in humidity, changes in soil moisture, temperature changes or even when you move them from one location to another.

They will most likely recover from that really fast. Just remember, they like lots and lots of water. Drying out in between watering is a sure way to make the leaves turn yellow.

My cuttings bloom within a few months, but I think they would bloom better if I pruned them. Wow! They grow FAST!!!

Are your red heart seedlings producing red heart blooms? Just curious because my red heart is planted right next the the dark double pink one, and the bumble bees love them both!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Yes they are blooming as red hearts .many buds.
    i am surprised . looking forward to a sea of blooms from 300 plants.
    shepp zone5/6 sorry i didnt get back to that answer sooner.

Maybe I should try 'dabbing' the Red Heart the way that I dabbed the daylilies, huh?

I don't know what I would do with all of the seeds if I did because it has bloomed and bloomed and bloomed, and it is still covered with buds.

Sad thing is. it needs to be pruned. It's so leggy that the blooms and the buds weight the limbs downward. I hate to prune, though, because I will miss out on many of the blooms. Excuses, excuses....

It almost looks like a weeping ROS. LAS!

That's wonderful news, Shepp! The blooms are large, very similar to many of my tropical hibiscus. The Red Heart is a beautiful ROS.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread