+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Peach Leaf Curl Control

Question Peach Leaf Curl Control

I have a couple Nectarine trees that have been hit by leaf curl the last couple years. I'm trying to find an organic or "safe" control measure for this fungus. Does anyone know of one? In one of my books, it mentions copper or sulphur substances are "safe" methods but my one organic catalog doesn't list anything for this problem.

Any thoughts or tips? I sure would like to get rid of this disease this year and enjoy some nectarines.

Matt

Hi Matt;

I have a great recipe that cures peach leaf curl! I used it for many years and had great luck with big green leaves and huge fruit! Here is the recipe:

Buy the cheapest pouch of chewing tobacco (my husband used to tease me whenever I bought chewing tobacco. he would tell the cashier that he couldn't get me out of the habit.)
    Liquid Dish Soap
    Water

Boil 1 cup of water (I did it in the microwave for 3 minutes)
    Take a BIG pinch of the chewing tobacco and put it in cheesecloth, or I used the toe of a knee-hi, washed and useless of course.
    Drop the cheesecloth (knee-hi) into the boiling water (be sure that the water isn't still bubbling, or it will bubble over when you put the cheesecloth in) and let sit until cool. Squeeze it all out and set aside the tobacco water.
    Fill a gallon jug with water
    Add 2 Tablespoons of the tobacco water
    Add 1/4 teaspoon of liquid dish detergent
    Stir it up or gently invert the jug to mix it all up
    Pour the whole gallon of mixture around the root line of your tree

Please be sure to fill the gallon jug with water FIRST, then add the chewing tobacco water and dish soap. When I first started using this mixture, I put the tobacco water and soap in the jug first. When I went to add the water from the hose, I had 3/4 jug of soap bubbles and only 1/4 jug of water!

You use this mixture every two weeks. The in-between week you soak your tree with regular water. When you use the mixture, that is all the water that the fruit tree gets, until the regular watering the following week. When the weather was really hot, I would give each tree 2 gallons of the mixture at a time.

I know this system is tedious, but it works GREAT! I would start this tobacco/dish soap/water schedule from mid February until all the leaves have appeared. My peach, nectarine and apricot trees did fabulous! I don't think the apricot trees needed the mixture, but I had left-overs so I gave them some anyway.

Any leaves that get the peach leaf curl, be sure to pick them off and throw them in the garbage. You don't want to put them on the ground and reinfect the soil.

Hope this is helpful for you. Good luck with your fruit trees. Remember, the chewing tobacco is for the FRUIT TREES!
    Linda-So. Oregon, Zones 6/7

Thanks Linda, I'll give this a try this spring. I just hate using
    chemicals unless I don't have any other avenues left.

Matt

You're welcome Matt. You don't want to wait until this spring to start this, as the trees need this treatment BEFORE the leaves start to bud on the tree. If you wait until spring, the emerging leaves will already be infected. Catch the problem before the infection starts. As I mentioned above, I started this at this time of year. Even with rain and/or snow on the ground, you need to get started with this soon. If you have snow now, I would pull the snow back away from the drip line so you can get the mixture down to the roots. I just want this to work out great for you, as it did for me.
    Linda-So. Oregon, Zones 6/7

OK, I'll be sure to get out this weekend and pick up some
    tobacco. I was going to ask you about the timing, but you obviously read my mind.

Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread