+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What do I do w/ trumpet lilies that think it's spring ?

Blog Entries

What do I do w/ trumpet lilies that think it's spring ?

I had to bring in my potted Trumpet Lilies, which were mulched outside to overwinter, and place them on a window sill as my dog wouldnít leave them alone(sheís addicted to formed plastic). Anyway, they are going into their second year. Year one was just all about leaves. Now Iíve noticed that 3 of the 6 or 7 pots have started to sproutóstems ! My questions are: 1) Itís just February, do I do anything to slow down the ones that think itís spring ? and 2) now Iím curious as to why the other ones arenít sprouting(maybe they were killed by the cold?)-short of digging them up to look at them, is the fact that 3 are sprouting but 4 arenít an indication that maybe those 4 are dead ?
    Thanks
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

Such a dilemna... I wouldn't think it would hurt for the sprouted ones to be placed in high light and let them do their best.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ones that have not sprouted are still dormant. In any event, try not to overwater them or the scales my rot. That's a big problem we have with some types of bulbs here in the late winter, early spring. Too much rain! So, we have to make sure they are planted where they will get good drainage.

The only other thing you might consider is to dig the dormant ones, let them dry in a very cool place, and store them in the fridge.

The ones that are sprouting will need water and LOTS of light. Cool should not hurt them, but try not to let them freeze.

If these are bulblets on scales, they will not bloom until the bulbs are large enough.

Hopefully, some others will comment...

Does that help?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Yep, that does help. They aren't bulblets. But they aren't big bulbs either; in fact, they were pretty much leaves and roots last summer. Ironically, I had to bring in my remaining pots as my dog went on a flower pot binge. Luckily she doesn't dump them; she just transports them and if a plastic rim 'accidentally' breaks off well then that's just peachy for her(I do confiscate plastic pieces for her safety). So, I now have 10 pots of trumpet lilies on my basement daylight windowsill. I'll watch the water and just hope that nothing goes too wrong before spring.
    Upstairs, I've got 36 daylily seedlings germinating in their little Jiffy greenhouse-so far, so good ! Of course, one seedling just had to be taller than all the rest and is causing me to have to lift the lid just for it(whether plants or people there's always one in a bunch that has to be different--someday I'll post my actual photo of a field of sunflowers all facing the same direction except for one lone sunflower facing a different direction !),
    Thanks Ann for the info. and support !

Blog Entries

Cathy,

You can take the top off the little "greenhouse" any time after the seedlings, even just one of them, reach the top. You can also use chopsticks, pencils or even straws, one placed in each corner, to raise the lid higher above the seedlings. If this is one of the long trays, add two additional 'props' on each of the long sides for stability.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Re daylily babies: As of today, the top is off(I've got the 72 cell one--and bought it from WallyWorld These babies are growing like, oops , I almost said 'weeds' -LOL ! I don't think it will be long before they go into mum pots as you recommended when the roots go through the peat pellet netting. Funny enough, just like I had one very tall one right away, I also had one send a root right through the side of the peat pellet right away. I'm really liking this 'daylilies by seeds' approach. I'm thinking big beds of daylilies as time goes by.

+ Reply to Thread