+ Reply to Thread

Thread: U.V protected

Question U.V protected

Howdy, been awhile but still here.
    i want to build a cold frame to hold some grasses and arbs that i am going to buy at the garden show in cleveland .
    i was at 84 lumber and they have plastic sheets that are 98% u.v protected is this what i wanna use or not?next year it will be used for cuttings and was wondering if i want to use this or just plastic and snow fence for shading? thanks Ron

i would think the arbs would be safe for now on a protected side of your house for now. they are hardy!
    the grass i would take inside.
    if it has done any growing at all i would certainly keep indoors.
    how big are the grasses what kind are they.
    what size pots are they in?
    i just recieved 16 different kinds one week ago and i have them in their flats in my smaller heated greenhouse.
    some are still dormant and some are actively growing.
    i live 150 miles south of you if you live in cleveland.
    shepp

Hi shepp its Ron from tenbackachers. i dont know yet what im getting , I haul dirt into and out of the I.X. center for the home and garden show. and at the end they compost thousands of dollars of plants most of which are in full bloom so i was just gonna start grabbin and stuffing as much as i can into the cab of the dump truck.(this year we hauled in 240,000 tones of dirt) YEP. I built the coldframe from windows from an old mobil home and didnt have enough glass so i was gonna buy some of this and use it on the front or side whatever you think is best. stay warm Ron Z5/6

if its temporary .go for it. you will find more windows in the future!

when is the show?
    got tickets?
    this weekend forcast is the extreme pits for my area.
    2 inches of snow with 2 inches of rain coming up from the gulf.
    first glenn sends us arctic blast and Ann's tryin to drown us.
    oh well .
    shepp zone5/6

shepp the show is at the cleveland I.X center by Hopkins airport,from2/07 thru 2/15 they alwayse have a plant sale sunday evening at the end of the show , also was told you can buy the whole set from the landscapers if you want and most gets sold at cost or below but its all in bloom so unless u have a greenhouse to put it in youre s.o.l what would you suggest i try that will stay in a cold frame from now till spring it measures 50''Hx60''Lx30''D so it will be tall enough for anything i want.
    2 b continued Ron z5/6

ron
    anything evergreen i wouldnt take up your valued space with it.
    place them on the protected side of your house -south or east side. and pile leaves ,or a concrete blanket,straw.something to keep the wind off of the pots.my guess is if you have a garage put the plants in it and take them out on nice days.
    honest to goodness the greenhouse just may kill the plants you put in it from overheating.
    i consider my small greenhouse as pushing the limit for being small.
    but i have automatic controls for venting and cooling in case the temps rise while i am not around, too much heat is as bad as too little.do what you can.
    check out this website for an affordable greenhouse for the near future.
    www.FarmTek.com
    right now they have free shipping with an order over $100.oo
    also they are runing a special 10% down six months to pay.
    1 800 farmtek
    take a good look at the 48 foot long gothic styles coldframes for your area.they have them from 18 wide to 34 wide.
    make sure whatever kind you get it has the bows on 4 foot spacing and is gothic for the snow loads.
    you can get vents and exhaust fans at tractor supply, graingers or mortons or farmtek and the controls too . hope that helps some more.
    you can build your own benches if you need them.
    good luck shepp.zone5/6

ok i got it about the evergreens but is there anything i can get from the show that will make it without heat or in just the glass house? and what about grasses could i cut them back and mulch the heck out of them in the glass house?maybe put in some fresh manure around not on the plants to keep the temps up? i just cant stand to see all those plants go into the grinder especially cause i cant have the compost. R Z5/6

+ Reply to Thread