+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bleeding Heart Vine

Bleeding Heart Vine

One of the very few plants that I have, which are tropical enough to be moved in and out with the weather is a Clerodendurm Thomsoniae (Bleeding heart vine). This tropical vine has some very nice flowers which are produced on new growth each summer. We have had this plant for at least 15 years, and except for moving in in/out once each fall/spring, and a little trimming, it is trouble free.

For the first time ever, last summer it produced an abundant supply of seeds. Well, maybe that was just the first time I ever noticed them. But anyway, now that I have them, what do I do with them. I'd like to start a few just to have some more and give a few away. Any hints on making these seeds grow will be appreciated.
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries

Tom,

Since this is a 'tropical' I doubt the seeds would need much encouragement to grow! I would plant them in any good, quality potting mix, water them in well and put then in a bright warm spot and see what happens. Bottom heat may aid in the gernimation process as well as additional humidity.

Depending on how you stored the seeds, they may also benefit from soaking in distilled water to rehydrate them. 24 hours would probably be long enough, but not more than three days, and you might add a bit of hydregen peroxide to the water as a disinfectant (1:4 ratio).

Try a few and see what happens!

Rebecca
    Last edited by Rebecca; 01-26-2004 at 10:01 AM.
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Tom,

I have one that was started from a cutting that Carolyn, my neighbor gave me. It grows very quickly, and if placed in a large pot will grow enormous. Pruning actually seems to help it.

I have harvested some seeds, but to tell you the truth, I have never managed to find the time to try them. From looking at them, I suspect that you may need to nick and soak them. The seeds are large and the outer coat feels hard.

They are neat seeds if you watch them growing. They have a fuzzy red part of the seed which is quite intriging. If you aren't careful, and don't catch them just right, they will be on the plant today and gone tomorrow.

It's a fun plant because the blooms last so very long....

Let me know how you do!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Seeds

Hi, Tom. It's a beautiful plant. I bought the one that has the red and the white tip. So far it's surviving indoors for me. The one you have is very striking. If you have any seeds left over, keep me in mind, please. I'm going to try and see if there is any seeds this year when I plant outside.
    Donna
    Donna

Even though I live in the south, zone 7/8 border, I never plant this one out. It is tropical, and would not survive. We bring it inside when the weather starts to get cool, about 40-45 degrees. It stays in it's pot inside, and usually drops all it's leaves. I had a much better picture of it before, but lost it somehow. It shows the white flower with the bright red center coming out.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Bleeding Heart Vine

Here is one of the ones I had growing. I think I had 3 or 4 plants I bought last year and only had room to keep one. It hasn't died on me yet....thank goodnesss.....lol.
    Attached Images  
    Donna

How pretty, Perennial Girl!

Have you tried to take cuttings? Mine is the one like Tom's and cuttings take rather easily with rooting hormone.

I would be curious to know whether the seedlings of the all red flowered variety will produce all red. If so, I would love to have a seed or two to try.

With the variety that Tom has, which is like mine, the seeds are large and black with a red fuzzy crease of sorts on one edge, lengthwise. The seeds will stay on the plant for a long time in the ripening process and suddenly be gone. I don't know if birds take them or they fall to the ground, but once they start to ripen, you have to keep an eye on them. They will fall off to the touch when they are ready.

Since my schedule has precluded my trying to germinate them, I can only guess that if you plant the seed before they dry, they will germinate readily. Experience tells me though that hard coated seeds, once allowed to dry, will require nicking and possibly soaking before they will germinate quickly.

Again, pretty plant! I like it!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Vine

Thanks, Ann. Hopefully it will make it until I can plant it outside. This time for sure I'll keep my eyes open for seeds. I had bought it and another neat vine at a greenhouse last year. It was about 1 hrs drive away. I'm going back there again for sure.
    Donna

+ Reply to Thread