+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie

Hi, Everyone. Rebecca just told me about this group. Thanks for letting me join. I'm a newbie also to growing daylily seeds. Rebecca can vouch for me....lol. I had to ask her for HELP with the seeds I received from her on Thursday. Rebecca is a wonderful, awesome, helpful person. THANKYOU REBECCA!
    I just planted my first batch of seeds from Rebecca. I have a couple of small lights....waiting for hubby to put up more. Been bugging him way before Xmas....sheesh! I have other seeds I want to start. Hopefully hubby will get more lights for me. I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada. It's been between -25 to -35 celcius the last 2 weeks. BRRRRR! I hate the cold. I get cabin fever big time! You can tell because I've been buying seeds from ebay like crazy....lol. I really need help! Is there a doctor in the house....lol. I work fulltime for our telephone company - MTS in the human resources department. During the warmer weather...I'm outside all the time in my gardens. I enjoy trading and buying neat and my fav plants like hostas, daylilies, lilies, sedums, etc. Okay...I'll stop blabbing for now! Thanks again!
    Donna

Oh, How FUN!

Welcome!

Yep, Rebecca is a very special person, and I am also growing some of her seedlings. They are doing quite well, and I start them under fluorescent lights. They love it, but the closer to the lights, the better. They seem to enjoy lots of moisture, especially after the seeds have been allowed to completely dry.

I think everyone is already tired of the cold, but I must tell you that if we ever got that cold here, very few things that I have would survive. I freak out when the temperatures threaten to get below 25 degrees F. Thank goodness, that doesn't happen very often.

Many landscapes would be destroyed here if it went below 10 degreees which has been known to happen in very rare years.

Beware, though, your daylily seedlings will grow very fast and be ready to harden off for outside faster than one would think. Mine will be more than ready in the 6 weeks before our average last frost. I am ready, too!

Our coldest weather down here is January and February, but it is those unexpected late freezes in late March and early April that hurt us the most.

Again, Welcome to Landspro! I always love hearing about other areas of the world! Victoria, Canada is as far north as I have ever been and that was a very long time ago.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Welcome!!

Donna,
    Welcome to Landspro! I try to throw in my cents worth every once in awhile. I'm in Western Michigan, near Muskegon. Not to far from the big lake. She sure is giving us our snow for the season. Didn't snow till after the 1st of the year, but now it has almost everyday! Somedays just a little and somedays ALOT! At least it didn't start in early Nov. like last year. That season seemed to go on for a long time! Only about 8 wks. left of snow here. Getting itchy for spring! You'll find a wealth of information here, along with meeting alot of nice people. Have a great day!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries

Donna,

Welcome to Landspro!
    For everyone reading along, I've been working up an article about growing daylilies from seeds, more pictures than anything else, and I hope to be ready to post part one later today - need to get some pictures of seeds in various stages of 'sprout' first. Watch for it over on the Daylily Forum!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread