+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Seed bug bit me .

Shepp, I'm zone 6b. I don't heat the greenhouse. I'm starting my herbs in a spare bedroom. Hope to have heat next year. Would be so much less trouble.
    We haven't had much snow this winter but have a snow warning for tonight and tomorrow. Could get from 1-8 inches, depending on which side of the mts. it comes around. I'm hoping for none.
    tennessee sue

Well Shepp as for me I don't YET have a greenhouse, I do have a small hoop house about 10 x 4 x 2 ft. I planned on making a box to sit this on. It used to have a metal tray bottom with sides about 12" tall. But it rusted out and my brother was throwing it away. I am not yet into the backyard nursery mode. Last yr. was personally a very trying time and just planted gardens and tended the ones I'd done the year before. I did start some cutting of ninebark, weiglea, red-twig dogwoods, and some privet. But only a couple hundred all together. Also added lots of different plants and shrubs to eventually use as momma plants. Been collecting pot and flats. I did also buy a couple of lights and a big fan. Also piles of wood chips from my brother, who has a stump grinding business. Different chips from grinding vs chipping.
    I'm not even sure what license I'm going to need. Meaning grower, grower/reseller. They also have a small grower license if your under 1/4 acre or 200 covered ft. Which is 40.00.
    It would probably costs an arm and a leg to heat a decent sized greenhouse here. Although we are looking at an outdoor wood burner for the garage. Plenty big enough to heat a greenhouse too. They put out massive heat. Didn't you say you have one of them? I really want just a hoophouse and an intermittent mist system in an outdoor bed or two.
    We probably have 2 ft. of snow on the ground so just sitting here DREAMING in cold, snowy west MI.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Forgot to mention that there are some pretty big greenhouse operations around here. The closest one is about 6 miles away and does high volume annuals. I can remember about 18 yrs. ago, they only had 4 houses. Now they easily have 40 or 50, if not more. Another one not to far does nothing but hanging baskets. She has 2 houses.
    At least 3 other HUGE ones, Spring Meadow Nursery, great article in Nov. Nursery Management & Production. Thanks for the tip for the free mags. Sue, I eagerly look forward to them each month. 2003 Nursery grower of the yr. Also Zelenka is not far from here either. Did you all get the Spring Meadow catalog? Nice selection. Very low min. requirements, too.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

I have 6 regular sized daffodils in bloom, a large clump of yellow miniature daffodils in bloom and paperwhites (in numerous areas) are in full bloom!

The daffodils are what surprised me! The rain has finally stopped, and I came home just in time to take a walk around to see if the bulbs were emerging.

Wow! Was I surprised!

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Wow!

Ann,
    Is this early spring for you? I've not even dreaming of seeing daffs for about 6 or more weeks. We have about 2' of snow on the ground!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

just checked in on my 2 little GHs temps in the bigger one its 49 today much to my surprise with no heat on.
    that saves money.the potted junipers and cool season grasses dont need anymore than that right now.
    the petunia cuttings i have done in the past 2 weeks are rooting in the smaller heated GH.looking good with the ocasional mist from the garden hose.
    fungus gnats are present .its time to do something about that before they get to be a nuisance.
    no aphids present or white flies.thats a good thing.
    the plugs i bought for hanging baskets had a few aphidson the impatiens, they are history with a lite application of safer soap.
    the joys of having a GH. more joyfull knowing how to rid them.
    gonna repot something today , just dont know what yet.
    maybe some fescue or hemmaholic's daylily's to larger pots.
    later folks
    shepp zone 5/6

It has been in the upper 60's today and the sun is bright.

We are expecting a couple of days of rain, followed by a cold front, but it doesn't look like it will be a hard freeze.

I am counting on the weather being halfway decent. I have 5 days off from teaching, but a lot of catching up to do. I called 30 parents today, and have many others to call. I graded 50 tests, and I look at each student's work to know where they are still in need of help.

I don't know what else to do since all of my classes consists of repeat failures. They dish out the worst for new teachers. Surprise, surprise! And they wonder why so many quit during the first year....

Quite frankly, I am simply ready for daylight to last longer! I mowed the front lawn. The weeds are already blooming and ready to produce seeds!

Isn't life FUN?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3