+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Seed bug bit me .

For what it's worth, here is a bit of trivia about your computer.

When expressing the symbol for "degrees" you can do so by holding down the 'Alt' key, while typing the number 167, on the numeric keypad. So that 68 degrees, or 68* will appear as 68.

Because we are somewhat international, it would be much clearer to include F or C at the end as: 68f.

I know, none of this is important, and we all well understand the notations as presented above. But, like I said, thought you might put up with a bit of trivia

In the same light, when expressing dollars, we use the $ symbol, but the key is not on the US keyboard. The british sterling key is formed by holding down the 'alt' key and typing 0168, on the numeric keypad.

Man! am I bored or WHAT!
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

YES you R board :)

well taken dought if i remember.
    get a greenhouse Tom
    get some sunshine
    shepp
    cold F*
    words intentially mispelled on this post.

i mean well as well as you Tom.
    enjoy your company.
    ☻q╚{⌠&666≈φ3
    now who is bored
    Last edited by shepp; 01-17-2004 at 06:52 PM.

Shepp. The Canadian site is not wholesale but does have a few things I cannot usually find here. Am ordering a few for Mother plants. It is thgurusgarden.com if you want to look. Another is hardyplants.com. My favorite is GeoSeed. It doesn't have a website yet but the phone number is 888-645-2323. Jellito is great,too. We use Schumaker for tree seeds. They are really good,and do have a website.
    It has not been too very cold here. The big freeze is North of us. We are expecting rain for the next day or so.
    I'd send you some wood but the postage would be worse than it is for plants.
    You guys got some good sources for plugs and liners?
    tennessee sue

catalogs i use have a commercial side to them.

johnnys commercial site
    http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/c...t.html?ct=comm

johhnys home and garden site
    http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/c...est.html?ct=hg

www.expressseed.com wholesale
    www.parkwholesale.com
    here is the retail side
    http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/s...mainPage=page1
    angel grove tree seeds
    http://trees-seeds.com/

these are liner sources i use on occasion.

mussers in pennsylvania are wholesale and retail
    www.musserforests.com

Appalachian nursery inc strictly wholesale

http://www.appnursery.com/

hoffmans strictly wholesale
    www.hoffmannursery.com

Thanks Shepp,
    I have requested a Hoffman's catalog. We haven't done a lot of water plants but I have been hoping to get one of the kids interested in them. And I do need dome orn. grasses. The rest I have used or have a catalog.
    Do you use liners for trees and shrubs a lot?
    tennessee sue

i would say i buy in 16 flats of 18 per of grass a year.with all 16 being different varieties.
    and 3 flats of liners per year.
    like last year i purchased different hydrangeas.
    and grew them on in 1 gallon pots and transplanted to 3 gallon and took cuttings from them.that allowed me to get many cuttings.
    and maybe triple that this year of cuttings.
    this year its gonna be pjm rhododendrons and something else or 2 yet undecided.
    i am going with some spruce liners and container grow them on starting this year. the B&B biz aint for me.
    i spent a lot of time this weekend looking up tree liners.comparing pricing ,sizes etc.
    i also buy in some RJmaples and kousa dogwoods.
    i propagate some viburnums , and other shrubs to numerous to mention.
    i grow my own oaks 2 var, buckeyes,walnuts ,butternuts, etc.
    i have started my own rose of sharon this year ,with 1/6th of them germinated.
    a few perennials.
    i cant seem to pick the right herbs so i am not doing them any more or untill i put up a mucher bigger GH.30x96 maybe.
    grass propagation i have dabbled in that for 3 years now ,getting more serious with that. again i need a larger propagation area/gh.
    somethings stay some go , i just do what works for me.
    shepp

BRRRRRR!

Yesterday, we had a HI of over 70 degrees.

Right now, the temps are around 36 at the airport which means colder here.

It is supposed to go down to 24-25 which will be our low for the year so far.

Right now, I am 'snowed' under with graduate courses and a new semester at my high school. What a challenge I have undertaken! I enjoy my courses, and I enjoy teaching, but I miss my plants, landspro and master gardening.

Stay warm, Shepp! I am glad I don't have to take the long hike into my school on slippery ice pulling a book bag and wrapped in heavy clothing like your teachers up there have to do.

Seeds! I hope to get some started soon. Two more months of potential freezing and frost here, and whatever survives, survives....

Thanks, everyone for hanging in there with me. It's kind of different to watch from the other side for a change, but it looks like it will be that way for awhile. Just know I am here and watching, learning and smiling all the way...

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

And i thought we were having cold weather

Hold on .
    its gonna get down to the single digits
    with windchills in the minus double digits. maybe thursday and friday.
    if this keeps up i can kiss a bunch of stuff goodbye.
    so far the weeds in the pots in the cold frame are surviving just fine.
    shepp zone 1 and 2 for a few days.

It managed to get up to freezing today for the first time in ages. and the sun actually showed his face for a while. Hopefully will be starting seeds next week. Indoors, I know winter is going to be here for a while longer. We really haven't had much snow yet so I know we always have a good snow or two. I would gladly forgo those any year. I didn't even like snow when I was young...er I mean younger. I will feel 10 years younger when spring gets here. But my body will remind me how old I really am after lifting,stooping and carrying in the nursery the first week or so.
    We need to start a countdown to spring.
    tennessee sue

it did get down right cold.

it has been misserable weather the past week.
    dangerous driving weather for attending the C.E.N.T.S. trade show. www.onla.org monday thru wednesday. But i did make it.
    the temp yesterday morn was - minus 5 windchil -15.
    today i woke to just -5 no wind.
    i know there are places like upstate newyork that has it rougher than i do . with 6 ft of snow,never the less i hate this weather.
    and i dont want to trade for theirs.
    greenhouse temps this A.M. were 46 air temps and the heated beds were 66 with backup keresene heater set on low.
    its 10 a.m. now with the sun shining bright.supposed to get to 36 today. yea . what did i just say ?yea i will take it after the past few weeks.i dont have a choice anyway.
    well the seeds i planted have managed to survive.
    first the daylilies are getting to be 4 and 5 inches tall.
    over 210 out of 300 rose of sharon have germinated various hieghts.both coneflowers have germed all pots are full.
    the miscanthus grass has germed and all pots are full.
    double daisies and mexican hat have germed also.
    i sure i have missed mentioning something!
    in the mean time the past week i added 16 different flats of
    ornamental grass 2 flats of spruce 1 blue 1 norway, grey owl juniper and olga rhododendron. and a real good deal on a flat of northern bayberry and burning bush in quart pots 15 each of those. not much room left in my small greenhouse.
    when the temps get above freezing today the staghorn fern and the elephant ears are coming in the house that i have been overwintering in the greenhouse.
    in the next few weeks i will be starting cuttings of petunias for hanging baskets for the farmers market.
    thats enuf of my ramblings on for one day.
    stay warm folks.
    shepp zone5/6
    Last edited by shepp; 02-01-2004 at 08:38 AM.

six weeks untill spring

There you go Sue the countdown is started.
    shepp

Spring Fever BUG....

Shepp,

It's my turn now! It is miserable weather here. Wet, drizzly, cold, but nothing compared to your cold... No ice, no frost, but down right nasty!

The seed racks are FULL! The bulb racks are full! Bareroot roses are on the racks already, and it won't be long before perennials, shrubs and annuals fill the markets.

I never seem to have a minute to spare, but every day gets easier as I become 'not so new' at this school.

One thing for sure, it sure will be nice when it doesn't dark before 6PM.

Less than six weeks left before last chance of frost and counting...

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Lots of perennial seeds!

Hi All,
    I am going to try and winter sow all these perennial seeds I have. Most are collected from my friend and neighbor Nancy and myself. I'm waiting for Sam's club to get the big bags of soil again! It was a good deal. I do have some but they are froze solid and underneath all my pots, which I have managed to collect quite a few (like 500 or 600). The snow here is quite deep, even for Mich. It has snowed all but 7 days since it began on the 3rd of Jan. Jan. was in the top 20th snowiest ever (at least since 1904!) The temps have also been quite cold, too. We usually get a warm-up, sometime about now. Which we could surely use.
    Stay warm everyone!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki,
    I have winter snowed a lot of perennials this year for the first time. Mine are in the greenhouse (unheated) I would have rather left them outside but I figured the squirrels would have had a good time digging in them. Let me know how yours turn out.
    tennessee sue

from north to south

that is Vickie , Sue, Ann.
    that covers how many zones?
    i started cuttings last weekend of my petunias for hanging baskets . six flats full ,324cuttings total.
    i also recieved enuf plugs to do 26 baskets last saturday , from trailing snapdragons to calibrachoa and impatiens.
    hopeing to do a few cuttings from them.
    they were fifty cents each.
    i have to figure out a heating system for the bigger GH.
    gonna try to pack them in it this year again.
    i keep thinking every fall i wont do any hanging baskets in the spring ,but here i am doing them again.
    i hope it funds a 30 x 96 ft GH this year.
    and switch the small GH to a plug propagation room.
    only time will tell.
    what are you three using to heat your GH especially vickie up in the land of snow bound gardeners?
    i am thinking of going with propane in the big house if i put it up.
    temps are moderating here a little 25 nite 35 day.
    shepp zone5/6

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast