+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Seed bug bit me .

Seed bug bit me .

we cleaned the potting shed and smaller of the 2 greenhouses over the weekend.
    72 hours of rain thats all that it was fit to do.
    after the benches were straightened up and the floor clean we planted Clethra "ruby spice"
    callicarpa dichotoma , white coneflower, purple "magnus"coneflower ,white spruce seeds, fraser fir seeds,
    blackeyed susan " R.goldsturm,miscanthus sinensis" eulalia grass"
    crazy daisy" leucanthum X superbum"
    i just couldnt stand it any longer. i had to be growing something.
    lots of seed left if it doesnt make it.
    if they do i will need to add on to this Ghse.
    and i also put out mouse bait.
    thats why last years germination rate was so low.
    winter temps will be down in the single digits i hear come thursday.
    oh well.i can still be in a t shirt and shorts inside the Ghse this weekend.
    wish i kept a tomato plant growing .
    i need bug spray.i may get bit again !
    shepp zone 5/6

Blog Entries

So, Shep,

You wanna try growing daylilies from seed? I have a lot of leftovers from this past summer's hybridizing that I just don't have garden space for.

Let me know!

Rebecca
    Last edited by Rebecca; 01-05-2004 at 05:38 PM.
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Shepp, That bug sure does travel fast. It got me a couple of days after Christmas. I planted 16 flats of seed. I think it will be an interesting experiment. I also have a seed catalog here with my order written up ready to go. Plan on starting herbs in a couple of weeks.
    I have a hypothetical question for you Shepp. If you found a great variation of a plant on your property what would you do?
    Possibly a new variety.
    Happy seed starting everyone.
    tennessee sue

i dont know

i found a tree on my property this late fall early winter . the bark is like no other i have seen similar to faux spray paint that does that granit look, and berries i have never seen.
    i know trees , by the bark ,leaf, stature, etc , but this one is knew to me.
    hmmm what would i do. lots more studying first.i guess .
    and observing and taking notes.
    shepp

Thanks Shepp. That was my inclination,observe,research,study. And try to see which way it propagates best.
    It got down to about 8 degrees last night. Never reached freezing today. Br r r r .
    Keep warm.
    tennessee sue

huh, we call 8 degrees

we call that freezing 4 sure.
    snow is falling here ,
    i knew what you meant sue
    these low temps are killin my woodpile.
    my only source of heat.
    100 days till milder temps
    at that rate i need 3000 pieces of wood .
    rebecca i might try some. if you dont have a problem with me sellin them when they grow up!
    shepp ,shivering in the north,

Blog Entries

Shepp,

Contact me via e-mail at hemmaholic@netzero.com about the seeds and how many you'd be able to grow as well as other aspects of growing daylilies from seed.

Rebecca
    Last edited by Rebecca; 01-08-2004 at 06:13 PM.
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Cool i see green today

crazy daisies germinated and 18 are poking their heads above dirt today.i see GREEN.a little touch of green surrounded by a white outdoors. i can imagine the sounds of stirring fertilizer for a feeding soon.
    i jumped the gun a little i know but when i am in the greenhouse
    My World is sunny and 85*... my futures so brite i gotta wear shades.
    the boston fern and staghorn fern needed company besides me.

Blog Entries

Re: i see green today

my futures so brite i gotta wear shades.

Shepp,

I love it! And you answered a question for me too! Before too long those ferns and dasies are gonna have lots of company!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Plants are still germinating

despite the arctic temps and minimal sunshine.
    140 daisy's have germed and this morning 6 of the red heart rose of sharon .with many more swollen ready to set roots.
    a few nites in the past week the temps were very low for my little GH. i discovered a place where the polycarbonate had gapped open by 4 inches the screws have been snapping or shearing off .they dont make them like they used to.
    and the outside woodburner was low on wood and the air temps dropped to 44* but the bed temps remained 56*.
    when the temps are forcast for lows of 20 above down to 5 above like this morn i have been adding heat with a small kerosene heater. i dont want to take the chance of losing what i started.
    also i need to heed my own advice and pay closer attention too the weather .
    the ornamental grass hasnt germed yet in can take 3 weeks or more before that miracle happens. patients it will happen.
    shepp, tryin to stay warm!

Shepp and all those north of the Mason-Dixon line,
    I won't complain too much about our cold weather. We sure have it better than you guys and gals.
    I am getting ready to send in 4 seed orders tonight, one from a site I found in Canada that has a lot of perennials, many that are hard for me to find. Tomorrow I'm going to try to set up for seed starting.
    Hope you all stay warm up there, and hope it warms up soon.
    tennessee sue

Do the catalogs have websites ?

and do they have commercial catalogs likes johnnys does.
    whats the name of the canadian catalog?
    thanks shepp

seed sources

I'm working on a few seed orders now as well.

A couple of my favourites...www.jelitto.com
    This is an awesome perennial seed supplier, one of the best known sites for commercial growers. Gotten a beautiful strain of lewisias, plus lots of hellebores from them.

www.sandemanseeds.com
    One of the best shrub and tree seed suppliers. I'm germinating some of his chilean fire bush right now (embothrium coccineum), a nice small evergreen tree for zone8ish, covered in red flowers in late spring. Looking at a few more of his exotic things for the future, must be midlife plant growers crisis, need a new face or many faces in the garden!

Shepp, those cold temps make real men and women out of us. We were doing the record cold thing a week or so ago, then sent it over your way. You're welcome, don't mention it!

Glen in BC

If i remember correctly

Glenn you did that to me last year, and the year before that ,and the year before that.i think your the one who put the stop to EL.neeno. no global warming happening here today.
    i will check out those catalogs thanks
    shepp

coneflower magnus

first one germinated last nite.
    and the grass has started by this morning.
    the rose of sharon have increased by more than double.
    started some fresher black eyed susan seed a little while ago.
    i am using scotts with coir soiless mix this year for seed starting.
    i will know how well it does when i transplant to pots if its worth it. so far so good.
    later folks.
    shepp
    ps
    sleet and freezing rain coming down right now , every step you take is dangerous.
    give me some sunshine please.
    gh is 60* air temp beds 67*
    Last edited by shepp; 01-17-2004 at 11:11 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast