+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Here's info on caring for your Poinsettia

Blog Entries

Here's info on caring for your Poinsettia

I couldn't resist buying one today; they were just a buck a piece. Got a creamy yellow one with pinkish blush down the center of the "petals". Found this helpful info. on the internet(probably should have known this before I bought it):

Selecting One:

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/poinsettia/selecting.html

(I 'violated' many of the Do Not Do's- oh well, it looks good right now !)

Care:

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/poinsettia/care.html

Trying to get it to reflower(this has got to be just for fun given their low cost):

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/poinset...flowering.html
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

My Mother-in-Law is good with this plant. Every year, she buys a new one or is given one. She measures how much water she gives it, and she waters it on a fixed schedule. Anyway, they do great.

Then, when she leaves, she gives it to me. But I am afraid that I do not have the patience or something, for they never seem to survive the heat of the summer.

Fortunately, they are very inexpensive here. The wholesale nursery next to my subdivision grows them. The nursery own tells me that if he hadn't already purchased the nursery with an established clientel, he would have never chosen poinsettias.

They are beautiful, but they can be a lot of work. They have done a lot of studies on them at the local Ornamental Research Station. One of the problems that was mentioned is using growth retardents.

If I were in the business, I am sure I would learn to use growth retardents, but I am not. So, I haven't...

I don't want to discourage you, but Poinsettias seem to be one plant that I am really good at killing. I really love the new variety that has the doubled, red, rose shaped flowers, but until I have time to figure out what I am doing wrong, I suppose I should pass...

They are gorgeous, aren't they?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Back years ago, I tried to "save" some of them from year to year, and like Ann says, they generally died. Then I met this woman at work who was famous for her green thumb, and ability to hold over poinsettia’s from year to year. But then I got a look at one of these saved plants, with it's bushy, long stems, with small pale leaves. They matured at the wrong time with bracts that were really small and funky looking. That is the day I started treating the poinsettias as a long term cut flower, to be discarded once they fade. Enjoy them while they last and then give them to someone who has not learned this lesson yet, or toss them.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

My Favorite...

by far is the old fashioned red one.

But I really do like this one!

They are so very pretty, and if I knew I could keep it looking this good, I would invest in one.

Happy Holidays!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread