+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Storing Lily(Lilium) Bulbs over winter

Blog Entries

Storing Lily(Lilium) Bulbs over winter

Well we've covered storing Dahlia tubers to great length but now I've got questions about Lilium bulbs. I pushed my luck(or my lily addiction) has pushed me to buy lily bulbs from Oregon over the past 2 weeks. I've been concerned about them making it to me alright given the turn to colder weather(who knows where the Post Office has them between point a and point b). And then, what do I do with them once I do get them. I can't plant them now....especially the trumpets. One seller is holding the oriental bulbs until the weather gets a little warmer which she thought would be later this week which is now--she was worried about the travel here. The other seller who I'm getting Trumpets from says no problem, they have been in the cooler at 34 degrees and can send them now with no problem.
    Any words of encouragement about the odds of a safe(unfrozen) journey would be welcomed, and I would sure like to know how to store them once they do get here--fridge or hidey hole where the dahlias are or ?
    By the way, as I write, it is snowing big time--accumulating fast--one weatherman says 4-6 inches ; the weather channel says 8-10.....time to make cookies !
    Thanks,Cathy
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

I am assuming that these are dormant bulbs. Most lilium and trumplet lily bulbs will survive freezing temperatures in the ground whereas Dahlias will not...

In the meantime, I would think that all you would need to do is to store them in a cool, dry place until spring. Normally, they are planted in the fall and allowed to remain dormant in the ground until spring. At least that is the way it is here.

They do sell some of these in the spring, and I have to assume that those sold in the spring have been kept dormant over the winter.

I have successfully propagated scales in the fall without giving them a dormant period, but I can't say that is the BEST thing to do. Sometimes, it is simply more convenient for me since I often purchase them in the FALL!

You are definitely giving me propagation fever. I bought some bulbs on sale a couple of weeks ago, but I will not have time to propagate them or plant them until after school is out for the holidays at the end of this week.

Has your ground begun to freeze, yet? I can't imagine snow even though it seems bitter cold here. It is raining today, and supposed to get down to 35 degrees tomorrow morning. That means a frost/light freeze in my back yard.

Most of my landscape plants have gone dormant, but I do see a few up against the north and west sides with some green leaves on the branches right next to the house.

And to make matters worse, the mail came and the new Park's seed catalog is here. Dare I look at it now?

Enjoy and have FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

Un-mulched trumpet lilies

Well guess what my little elkhound was busy doing last night...remember we had 9 inches of snow and it was in the teens last night....this morning I noticed that she had removed 6 pots, each with a trumpet lily, from their winter location. She left 3 others. Best I can tell she was probably after mice in the mulch material or she was wondering why the same straw that fills her house is lying on the potted lilies. Nonetheless, I now have 6 pots of trumpets on my basement windowsill which is exactly what I was trying NOT to do by keeping them outside. So, the experiment takes a turn: 6 in and 3 out. And one elkhound who will be getting a lump of coal from Santa.(not really, she's got me wrapped around her paw)
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 12-14-2003 at 10:06 AM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread