+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Sherry from Missouri !

Blog Entries

Welcome Sherry from Missouri !

Welcome Sherry- I see you are in Missouri; I'm in Kansas. More experience sharing from the central midwest will be a welcome addition. I'd like to hear about your gardening interests. What's growing, or going to grow come Spring, in your Missouri garden ? .......

-Cathy
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Welcome!

Indeed!

Welcome to Landspro, Sherry!

Cathy,

It's hard to believe that winter is already here. Somehow, I seemed to miss out on the Fall.

Most of my plants have gone to sleep for the winter, but I ventured around today and took note that there are still green leaves to be seen on some.

Of course, most of my tropicals and tender perennials are either covered or in the greenhouse or my temporary "leanto" for the winter.

Two more weeks, and I will be "off" for the Christmas holidays!

MMMmmmmm... I think I am going to hibernate and sleep really late every day!

Enjoy, and Again, Welcome, Sherry!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

christmas vacation!!!!

i'm a school bus driver and i'm looking for christmas vacation! I have a small greenhouse and grow annuals and some perennials.last year i sold my plants at yard sells to friends and family but looking to really get started on shurbs and perennials. maybe wholesale and some retail. 2 business have asked me to sell to them and we have a wholesale market. I also have 4 kids so time seems to fly by. always looking for more info and all you can give.
    sherri

A school bus driver with 4 kids?

My hat goes off to you!

Sherry, what kind of shrubs and perennials do you find in demand in your area?

I think this is what the majority of Landspro nursery members ask at some point or another.

If I propagate it, will it sell?

Take advantage of those golden opportunities, and please share in what you have learned with us...

Feel free to ask questions. There are many knowledgeable people here, and the forum will get busier as we get past the holidays.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

thanks for the welcome!

Is it spring yet? lets skip the snow and ice and have spring. can someone tell me how to root purple passion? i bought a big plant and want to divide it for spring sale this year.and root cutting has anyone tried this? is it better than stem cutting? back to work tomorrow the only thing good about ice and snow is the day off! Ann i think i'll move by you !!!
    sherri

Sherry,

A few days ago, I was thinking that instead of Spring Fever, I always seem to get Winter Fever, and I get the urge to start growing from seeds and planning new garden areas.

As to your 'purple passion', if you mean the passion vine, Passiflora Incarnata, there is a page on Landspro that describes how I propagate them.

There is also another page that tells you how to dig up the ones that 'pop' up and start news was from them.

Here you go...

http://www.landspro.com/page18.htm

They are easy to propagate from cuttings. Just keep them moist....

You might want to do a search on this forum for Passiflora. This is one vine that I truly enjoy, along with several others.

Good Luck and have FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Sherry- By any chance is this your Purple Passion ?

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/i...gynuraaur.html

I don't know how to propagate it but if we identify the plant, we can go on from there.

I have a mystery plant that I took as a cutting from one at a local 'tourist site'. When you wrote Purple Passion, I thought that must be it. But upon seeing the pix, I know it isn't. I think it could be a begonia of some sort. I'll try to post a picture soon and maybe someone can ID it.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Sherry and Cathy,

The purple passion plant in the Aggie picture is extremely easy to propagate, even without rooting hormone. I have even seen it root in water.

I have a variegated one in my greenhouse. They grow fast, but can become leggy if not provided with enough light.

The leaves and stems are somewhat thicker, almost succulent and they are very 'hairy', sort of velveety-like hairs.

Is that it?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

jew????

Ann/Cathy it looks more like a jew. purple on bottom green on top but compact and with bigger leaves. I bought it at a garage sale and she said it was purple passion. but looking at it to me it looks like a jew any ideas?
    sherri

Could it be a 'Purple Heart'? The botanical name is Setcreasea purpurea. To propagate them, simply break off a section of stem, remove the lower leaves and stick them in moist soil.

They are drought tolerant, go dormant here in the winter and if not given enough light will turn greenish rather than dark purple. They have thick stems which break easily when 'snapped'.

They are normally a house plant and sometimes used in hanging baskets.

If it is, this is one of my favorite landscape plants because they are hardy here.

Here is a link:

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...a_pallida.html
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, These are only supposed to be hardy zone 9-11 but we have had them come back in the spring here. I love the little blooms. Some call them Moses in the cradle.
    tennessee sue

I have heard of Moses in a Cradle and always wondered what that was...

They can actually become invasive here, but not quite as bad as ordinary green wandering jew.

Still, I love mine!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

looks like it!

it looks like the pic but the leaves are darker green and the plant is more compact. maybe because its in a hanging basket? wish i had a digital camera to send a pic maybe for christmas. thanks for the help!
    sherri

How long is each leaf?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

4 inches

the oldest about 4 inches it's light green on the new tops.
    sherri

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast