+ Reply to Thread

Thread: size of green house

size of green house

Hi;
    The size of the green house i want to build is 14'w x ?L.
    I made my own bender for the pipe works good.
    I would go larger but i have only 1"OD. pipe outside measurement galvanized pipe.
    I can bend the pipe to fit the green house film.
    I need to know how much shorter the pipe needs to be to give me a good air bag effect for insulation this only needs to be faily close,but close enough to work.
    I have 24' film for the green house.
    Thanks All
    Sincerly
    John Sweaney zone 8
    Last edited by J SWEANEY; 11-29-2003 at 07:57 AM.
    jsweaney
    yelmtel.com

The standard length for tubing is 21 or 24 feet. A hoop house is, roughly, a half circle. The circumference of a circle with a 14 foot diameter is about 44 feet, so the house ( circle) would be 22 feet, ground to ground. You could use one 21 foot length for a bow for this size house. Normal method of construction is to drive ground posts into the ground, at four foot intervals, along each side. The ground posts are tubing that has a slightly larger diameter than the bow. They are 30 inches long, with 2 holes drilled through them at 3 inches and 9 inches from the top, and are driven into the ground 18 inches, leaving 12 inches sticking up. The drilled holes are aligned at right angles to the sides of the house. A 1 X 12 baseboard is bolted to the outside of the ground posts. The bows are then slid into the ground posts, resting on the top bolt, 9 inches above the ground. This gives you a ground to ground distance of 22 feet, 6 inches. You will have a house that is 14 feet wide, and slightly more than 7 feet high at the center. The 24' poly will allow you 9 inches clearance at the bottom of each side. If you want the house higher, you can use longer ground posts and a higher baseboard.
    You can use the tubing that is used for the top rail on a chain link fence. This is about 1 inch, OD. You can find this at places like Lowe's or HD. They are usually 10 feet, 3 inches long, with 3 inches, on one end, made slightly smaller, so they fit together, and connect. Using two of these for each bow, would give you a house slightly less than 7 feet high, at the center. (You could make it higher, by using longer ground posts, as mentioned above.)

If anyone would like instructions/diagrams on bending tubing and/or installing the inflation fan, please send me an e-mail.

John_NY
    John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

extrordinary explanation john_ny.
    very well done sir.
    hopefully others will benefit from the decription you so eloquently took the time to post.
    others will just need us to put the Ghouse up for them.
    good job at explaining
    shepp zone 5/6

Thank you. Trying to help.
    John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

thanks John NY.

Thanks John NY.
    I will put the cold frame green house together in the morning.

Sincerly
    John Sweaney zone8
    PS.
    Very well exsplained.
    John Sweaney Zone 8

+ Reply to Thread