+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winter - Close Call...

Winter - Close Call...

The weather has been truly mild here, and we are in a drought of sorts. I have never seen it this dry in the fall. Yet, I have so little time to water my plants, so some are suffering .

We had a close call yesterday with the cold front that came through. I get up normally at 5 AM. I went outside to check for frost and the top of my car had a very light frost. I was discouraged for the temperature said it was 41 in my back yard.

Well, houseplants and all would have to survive for I had to get to school early to make copies for exams for 2 classes.

By the time I got home, it was almost dark, but I checked anyway and all seemed fine.

It appears as though all will be okay during the next week, and I surely hope so as I am preparing for evaluations of ME in the classroom this coming week.

Meanwhile, my yard is full of blooms, and even though it is a rare moment that I even get a chance to take a peak, I do thoroughly enjoy this time of the year.

I am doing my best to take pictures of late fall blooms. My inner self smiles as I recall the sites of blooms today.

Hopefully, I will get chance to put them on line sometime soon.

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, Can't wait for you to get them on line. We had a good freeze this week and all ou blooms are gone.
    tennessee sue

Sue,

I face losing my blooms so very soon, and I dread it for I have not had time to enjoy them as I usually do...

For such a very long time, I have concentrated on plants that bloom in the Fall. Most do very well in the spirng or so I thought. As my collection grew and my focus on fall made it progession, I have come to realize that most of my perennials, shrubs and and vines bloom best in late fall. This is my time of the year.

I am constantly reassured that next year will be less effort as a new teacher, and I surely hope so.

I miss my garden, and most of all, I miss Landspro and all of you!

Thanks for hanging in there with me!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann- Glad to see you taking time for yourself to smell the roses ! Sounds like perhaps things are smoothing out a bit -at least with some of the routine of work.
    I chuckled when you mentioned that it was almost dark when you got home because ever since the time change I have been grumbling about how I have even less time to work outside. And believe me even in Zone 6 the work goes on. I've often wondered if they make a hat with a light on it for gardeners ! Maybe like a miner's hat. I swear I've been out there trying to hold a flashlight in my mouth(even though I have a big mouth that doesn't work--too heavy) and also propped under my arm. Yes, a box light would be helpful, but that's not what I've got.
    Still planting mystery lilies from the rescue mission this summer as well as from my boss's wife. For the life of me I can't figure out how I could move 5 tons of soil with a wheelbarrow with no aches or pains but my back has been tensing up after planting.
    It was 60 degrees today and just great. Should be the same tomorrow. More planting--got to get my dianthus and shastas out and moved and stellas in their place and a list of other moves and plantings. Bought some oriental lilies on-line today. Hubby thinks I'm nuts. I just got the idea that I'd go for the grand slam of lilium (got asiatics, trumpets, will have orientals, not keen on LA hybrids). Hmmm, maybe I am nuts !
    Take care and remember to pamper yourself now and then !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Oh!

I suddenly realized when you said smelling the roses that 'smelling the roses' for me is starting to begin to understand my students, their abilities, their struggles, where they have been, where they are going and what is keeping them from progressing...

Strange how we take some things for granted, and when we suddenly are faced with delimnas, we seek answers. I find my self not only at a loss with the answers, but struggling to determine the best way to overcome some of the hurdles my students face.

Unfortunately, their learning to achieve by cheating and making excuses seems to be my biggest hurdle to overcome. That's a hard one to understand unless you realize that my classes primarily consists of those that have failed many times.

My gardens await me, but my kids need me more even though they do not know it. That is my challenge, and I suppose the very reason I am so very glad that I chose to do what I have done.

A thought occurred to me yesterday as a student in the hallway was chanting and yelling in my face. I didn't understand her at first, and I just smiled with my normal morning greeting. As she passed on by me, and I managed my way through the group of students going down the hallway, I realized what she was chanting. "I hate whites. I hate whites."

Oh, my! Despite the fact that I only have one or two whites students, I never really pay attention to that. It's just the way I was brought up.

People are people. We are all the same in some ways and different in others. It's not the race or color that makes us different. It is who we are and what we do....

These are all my kids, my students. I care about each and every one. I simply do not give it a second thought about their race.

Life and the world is so very beautiful. I wish that all could see that and take advantage...

I can't wait to share the pictures I am taking!!!!

Enjoy, and Thanks again for your Patience!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    It's 65 in Nashville today and plenty of rain.I'm thankful for this mild weather as I'm 2 or 3 weeks behind on getting the plants ready for whats coming.
    Thanks William B.

Blog Entries
    Tony(William B.)- Ditto on the cold weather reprieve. Sixty here yesterday and today. Bit the bullet and dug out my dianthus and shastas and replaced with Stellas. The ones removed are in plastic grocery bags and I just hope that this warm weather continues long enough to replant elsewhere and/or giveaway to co-workers.
    Planted nearly 25 rescue daylilies yesterday(don't quite know what they are going to be so that should be fun next year-I hope).
    I had been thinking I was behind schedule but now I'm thinking that I just enjoy this so much that the only thing that is going to stop me is a snowstorm (I 'knocked on wood' when I wrote that)-LOL
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries

Ann and All Y'all!

It is most definetly fall here in central Indiana. Several hard frosts and a few hard freezes as well. Nearly all the leaves are off of the trees and narry a bloom of any type left to be enjoied, not even Mums!

A few of the mini roses are still trying to bloom in the cold frame and I find I have to keep a close watch on that cold frame as the sun can really heat it up on those warmer days. We'll be back near 60 in the next few days, but the nights will be in the mid to upper 30's. A very trying time of the year for the plants and for me!

All the daylilies are ready and waiting for their winter balnket of pine straw. Most of the other beds have been mulched lightly with the pine straw; my, but I do like the look of it!

My Christmas Cactus have come into bloom early this year; not many blooms, but nice ones. One plant, a spring cutting actually, had one lovely golden bloom on it

The hibiscus have just about finished blooming, well the doubles have anyway! The single red and the single pink are just now setting buds and after they finish I will have to prune them all back.

The seedling hibiscus are all growing well. Had a mishap with the one I was training to standard form and it won't be as tall as I wanted it. I have another one being groomed to standard, perhaps it will get taller before I accidentally snap the top out of it!

Tried to carry over several of the amaryllis without forcing them into dormancy, but they died back anyway! Bought three new ones, and, yes, I'm trying another "Clown"! The other two are doubles; 'Elvas' and 'Promise'. 'Elvas' is already showing 4 nice buds and 'Promise' is waiting in the fridge to be planted in another week or so. I will try to get good pictures of them as they bloom and post them to my House Plant Album on PhotoBucket.

Gotta go!

Rebecca

House Plant Images
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread