+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: sand beds

Rooting conifers

Shepp and all--tho I've not tried the spruce, I did find the dwarf balsam fir rooted easy in winter with some bottom heat.

Like Shepp mentioned, trying to keep em moist when you're pumping heat under the sand in winter is tricky, the higher you try to go with the bottom heat, the quicker the moisture gets driven up and out the top of the sand bed. Worst thing I found was the bottom of the sand, near where the stems were supposed to be rooting, would be toasty dry while the top still looked kinda good, and you would have killed another one.

I think the best temp would be much lower than what you're using during summer and fall, maybe just 50F or something? Also would depend how cool you kept the greenhouse, my low tunnels would be just above freezing a lot of the time giving about 20F difference from top to bottom. Much more than that and you're really drying that sand quickly, and I don't know that the conifers really respond well to much higher bottom temps than that (?)

Like to hear from somebody who does lots with success!

Glen in BC

Its been a while since Ive been to the board, noticed theres a lot of action I missed.
    It appears that a lot of you guys are into bottom heat. Unless your going to stick thousands of cuttings, the end results dont benefit from the expense.

Someone whos has a few heat pads mentioned something about lighting being a factor. I would strongly recommend the lighting. I would prefer to have the lighting on a timer but that function would keep me lazy. I like to be on my toes every morning I turn the lights on I like to check for cuttings that are not doing good and need to be removed before problems start.

I have my collection of yews this fall. 1000 Hills yew alone. thats one variety that Im very short of.
    Today was the first day that we started to take shrub cuttings. Ive been to busy closing the nursery. Theres always something to do. Was suppose to dig some B.B spruce from the field but rained so much that the fields are too wet.

Take care George.

Shepp,
    The cuttings I took were 31/2-4".I would say they probably
    did dry out being that near the surface.They were in between little leaf boxwood and dwarf english boxwood.Almost 100% of these rooted.I'II not fool with the D.A.Spruce anymore too many other things to grow thats faster to finish.
    Thanks William B.

Tony, I tried Alberta spruce in the past but havent even thought of growing them anymore. Their a pain in the butt. They just take too long to grow to a salable size.

Ive got about aprox 25 2g Alberta Spruce that arent more than 4" tall. They should of stayed in the 1g but the roots were growing out. A lot of root not much upper growth.

Im strictly buying Alberta Spruce. Less worry. Faster profit. George.

i agree george
    why waste the space.
    i wil try a few just to see if the mist will cure the problem
    BTW who are you buying from and whats the minumum?
    and if nothing else i will tinker with a few.
    no 1000's
    thats out of the ??????
    thanks for your input everyone.
    shepp

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2