+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Relocated and planning new yard help wanted.

Relocated and planning new yard help wanted.

Well I am retired and almost resettled in South Carolina (from Ohio). Moving from zone 5 to 8, and from mostly shade to no shade is going to be a challenge but one I am looking forward to. The weather so far has been wonderful.

Anyway here is the challenge. Lot is half acre, absolutely flat. There is a medium size oak near road in one corner near road and a much smaller oak near house -- house is new -- that's it lawn is a mix of weeds and grass and there are absolutely no other plants or anykind. Daughter is next door and her lot is about the same except she has two pines and three small oaks.

Any suggestions about plants would be appreciated.

Missed ya'all

Jim Lang
    Jim Lang

Welcome to the sunny south!

Good to see you again Jim, it has been a while.

There is a much different list of plants that will do well in your southern yard, than the one in zone 5. The problem is, many of the catalogs, and the big box stores do not take that into account when "selling" their products to you, and learning on your own can get mighty expensive.

A lot of the cool weather plants such and Snap Dragons, Peony, Lilac, and a whole list of others will not do well in your new location. On the other hand, your will find a much larger list of things that will do a great job for you.

Before you turn over the first shovel full of dirt, go to your county extension service, and pick up a soil sample kit, and wait for the results. You will find that if you pick plants, especially long lived shrubs, that prefer your type soil, you can win that battle before you ever start. While you are there, they should have some information on various ornamentals that do well in your climate.

Get a true compass reading on your house, lot and tree. Even on a bare lot, there are shade/sun considerations, especially if you plan to plant any more trees. Even long time gardeners can sometimes gain advantage from a landscape designer who can give you a short and long term plan that will save you a lot of headaches down the road.

Again, Welcome back!
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Welcome back!

Jim,
    Just wanted to add my WELCOME BACK! Think of your new yard as a clean canvas to paint with all the wonderful flowers and shrubs that will do well in your warmer climate. By the way the fall colors were outstanding way up here this year!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

thanks toboth of you for the welcome. Tom, good point about the test. Soil is sand and I suspect acid without a lot of nutriants but will have it tested. Vicki -- I will miss the fall color or the leaves -- however, since there are still plenty of flowers in bloom here I think I can adjust!
    Jim Lang

JIM JIM JIM

hells bells boy i thought you dropped clear off of the edge of the earth.
    sure glad to hear you made it to so, carol.
    the buckeye state lost a good man.
    missed ya dude.
    turkey left me here if ya all really want to know.
    wind chill is 24 right now at 20:18 hrs.
    i bet you arent missing that any.
    shepp zone 5/6 cant say your north of me anymore.
    email me @

sheppsnursery@y-city.net

+ Reply to Thread