+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beauty Berry

Beauty Berry

For some reason, the Beauty Berry plant just seems to love this area. They grow wild everywhere they can get a few inches of space, and a little light. During the spring, they have these almost invisible little flowers all along the stem, then develop large dark green leaves, which make them fairly attractive shrubs, if you can keep them just a bit under control early.
    Right about now, at the end of Oct, the dark green leaves turn to yellow, and the small green berry's turn purple to make a very striking view in the fall. But, as with many other plants in our country setting, you have to enjoy them fast, before the deer feast on them.

So, for our friends in those parts of the world where the Beauty Berry does not thrive, I've got a picture for you.
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    Wow ! Thank you ! How nice to see a forest in the background.
    In case you can snag a few berries before the deer come(and of course, I certainly wouldn't want to take food away from them), here's a recipe for Beauty Berry Jelly:
    http://www.nolawn.com/beauty_berry_jelly.htm
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Wow!

Tom,
    Wow! I knew I wanted to grow this one too! Along with all the rest of the beautiful shrubs and flowers out there. LOL! Unfortunately some of the prettiest only grow in warm climates, and that is certainly not here! I seen some nice plants I'd like to grow but they are not hardy to my area. I know beauty berry are, but have not been able to find them in my area. Just might have to order one.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Thanks, Tom!

My American Beautyberry has already started going to seed. Somehow, I missed seeing the berries when they were in their glory. I have been swamped with school.

Things should start settling down soon. A t least I hope my life will get back to normal.

Calicarpa Americana is truly a gorgeous plant. I do not see it as much around here as Tom does up there, but it is definitely one of my favorites!

The cuttings were easy to propagate, but it does take a couple of years for them to mature. It's well worth the wait...

Have FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    Earlier this week when I took the pictures, the dark green leaves had tuned to a pale green/yellow and were beginning to drop. Today they have lost almost all the leaves, but the berries remain and as I recall, usually do for several weeks into Nov., here in my area. By Next week they will be leafless, with just the berries left.

Vicki,
    They can be grown from seed, but may take several years to produce berries (I'm guessing that all these started from seed). They can be started from cuttings, which would be a little easier to get them to blooming stage. If I knew how to do it, I could dig and send you 1 or a hundred. I know if they are pruned back hard (like run over with a bush hog) they will come back strong, and usually produce berries that same year, but I don't know how well they would do as a bare root transplant.

We have a walking path that is a little over 1/4 mile around the lake out back, and I'm trying to establish planting pockets with other understory shrubs to go along with the beauty berry's. But the only deer resistant native plants that will thrive on neglect are the native azalea, oak leaf hydrangea, loripetilum, and ligustrum, and dogwood. Most anything else I've tried have just added to the deer salad, but I'm still looking and trying.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

+ Reply to Thread