+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stargazer lillies

Stargazer lillies

Ann & All,
    I got a 1 gal. pot of stargazer lillies at our local Meijer's for 3.36.
    It had four (plants) bulbs in it! I've decided to remove the outer scales of one bulb and try propagating them that way. Can I use seed starter mix instead of vermiculite? That's my big question!
    As always, thanks!
    Almost forgot, how many scales do I remove?
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Yes, you can!

How many to remove depends on the size of the bulb and how many scales there are....

Since this method is new to you, I wouldn't remove more than two layers. You will be surprised how many 'babies' will form!

How does that sound?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Vicki, It is really easy. We ordered some bulbs and some scales had come off in the bag. We ended up with a big bunch of babies from them! My daughter also had luck with hers and she is new to propagating. She was thrilled. I think she is hooked now.
    Good luck.
    tennessee sue

Cool Cool

Thanks Ann & Sue,
    Did it this afternoon. How exciting! I really really wanted some of these and was tickled almost pink when I found them!

I also got the seed starter mix for .50 a bag at wally world! Bought all 6 bags they had left!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

bulblets

Ann & All,
    Well just now checked my scales and was surprised to see little bulblets on them? It's been 2 months and I had really forgotten all about them. They have been in the dark under the kitchen sink. How big should I let them get before I remove them? Then what pot them up and put them on the window sill?
    Maybe I should read Cathy's thread and see if the answers are there.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Vicki- I don't have an answer but always have a question. Please tell me about how often you watered the scales and how you decided when to water and how you figured on how much to water. (I'm thinking I was too liberal with the water or else I wouldn't have mold).
    Thanks
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,
    Well I only misted them 2 times when they seemed drier than when I put them in there. I have them in a 1 gal. ziploc, just opened it up and misted with my handsprayer. Not so it was soaking just so it was moist. Hope this helps.

Merry Christmas!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread