+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: dahlias

Question dahlias

Hi All,
    What do I do with these dahlias tubers I have? When should they be dug up? I hope it's not to late! It's getting into the mid 30's - 40's here at night. Help!
    Thanks!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Great link

Hi,
    Thought I'd post the link to this very informative site. http://www.dahlias.net/dahwebpg/Prop...ropagation.htm Hmmmm! Don't know if I did that right or not!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

WHEN TO HARVEST

HI;
    HOPE THIS HELPS YOU?
    I WAIT TILL THERE IS A GOOD FROST THAT KILLS THE TOPS DOWN.
    THEN I DIGG WHITH IN A WEEK TO KEEP THE TUBER FROM GETTING FROSTED.
    I DIG THEM ALL AND HANG THEM TO DRY OUT THE SURFACE MOISTER THEN I TREET THEM WITH A GOOD FUNGASIDE AND LET THEM DRY FOR A WEEK OR SO IN A PLACE WHERE THEY WILL NOT (FREEZE) VERY IMPORTANT. A COOL ROOT CELLER BEST PLACE OR SOME PLACE LIKE THAT.

SINCERLY
    JOHN SWEANEY ZONE 8

Thanks!

John,
    First welcome to landspro. There are a bunch of nice people here. Thanks for your experiences with these tubers. As this was the first year to grow them (only been gardening for 3 yrs.) I was very surprised when I dug them up, what started as 3 or 4 are now 10 or 12! I got some cardboard boxes and a couple bags of shredded guinea pig bedding and dug them up, dried them for a few days, dusted with fungicide and put them in the boxes covered with the shredded bedding. Storing them in my unheated basement room that stays about 40-45 when it's cold here. Hope they make it.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Re: Thanks!

Originally posted by vicki
    John,
    First welcome to landspro. There are a bunch of nice people here. Thanks for your experiences with these tubers. As this was the first year to grow them (only been gardening for 3 yrs.) I was very surprised when I dug them up, what started as 3 or 4 are now 10 or 12! I got some cardboard boxes and a couple bags of shredded guinea pig bedding and dug them up, dried them for a few days, dusted with fungicide and put them in the boxes covered with the shredded bedding. Storing them in my unheated basement room that stays about 40-45 when it's cold here. Hope they make it.

Dahlias

Hi Vicki;
    Looks like you are going to have lots of good dahlia tubers nexst year.
    The celler or cool basesment you used will do the trick.
    I hope you marked the tubers so you know what you have when you go to plant nexst year.
    You sound like you did a good job storing the tubers.
    I store mine in barrels of saw dust in my garage with a heater there thats set to come on just be for it freezes. I have not had a frost yet this year.
    Good gardening
    John Sweaney Zone 8 Washington

Blog Entries
    Well, I've figured out that I am indeed talking about Dahlias(I had had some doubt). They have some parts that are browned from the cold but some new green growth --if that can be believed. The temps are yo-yo'ing--don't think we've had a killing frost yet. The nights have been cold. It's been down to 30-35 at night , but tomorrow it will be in the 60's during the day. Can they be dug now or is it imperative that all foliage is browned ?
    Thank you !
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 11-14-2003 at 06:57 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,
    I waited until the tops were killed by frost and then the temps soared here and were in the 50's for awhile. When I dug them up they had new growth starting and I rinsed them off then let them dry. Then dusted them with fungicide and stored in pine shaving. Oh yeah, I trimmed the new growth and the roots off, too.
    Last edited by vicki; 11-14-2003 at 07:28 PM.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Dahlias...

Cathy,

When there is still a bit of green in the stems, they are not yet truly dormant. I face that problem all the time. Most of mine are hardy here, but I tend to dig them up and move them.

I try to wait until mine are totally dormant, then I divide them.

Many, I will hold in dry storage until spring, then I will transplate them where I want them.

If they are not dormant, the only caution I have is to make sure they are allowed to dry in cool darkness until you plant them in the spring. When they are not dormant, they will still have live growth which is subject to fungus and decay, so it is important to let the go dormancy or provide them with the ability to dry out in cool conditons.

I guess what am saying is to make sure they are dry before overwintering out of the ground.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    John- Thanks for the info. My goodness you sure have quite a lot of Dahlias ! 4 days of work - gee whiz ! And I'm sure it's cold wherever you are. I'm going to have to watch these Dahlias closely as they are actually in a flower bed at work. I spied the Dahlias when they were in bloom. I have permission to dig them but I have to get to them before the people who tend the bed--every year they just clear the bed; they don't save anything. I think one Dahlia might be Normandy Orange Fluff, but I'm not sure. I just know that when I brought a dried bloom to a local nursery to make sure it was a Dahlia that the woman said that is a beautiful flower(and it was dried up!).
    We'll see how things go...might check back with you in April '04
    Thanks,Cathy

Blog Entries

A How To with Pix !

Blog Entries

refrigerator storage ?

Any reason why they couldn't be kept in the vegetable crisper in the refrigerator ?
    Thanks,Cathy

refer. crispper

Hi;
    never tried it.

Sincerly
    John Sweaney
    jsweaney
    yelmtel.com

Dahlias

Hi;
    I had my dahlias mulched about 6" to 10 "deep and planted in about a 1" OR 2" of dirt the frost just kills down the tops,the frost gets down an inch or two in my area.
    It did not seem to bother any of the new shoots for some reason ?
    A lot of gardeners here just leave them in the ground all winter.
    A local landascaper dumps all his grass clippings and organic matter in piles in my garden.
    Then i grind it up for mulch and spread it 8" to 10".
    I try to use Ruth Stout method of mulching and no tilling method of gardening.
    I think i over did it this year!
    But i enjoyed every minute of it.
    I built a 6'x6'x30" highbox this year will layer the tubers in 3"to 4"of sawdust as they dry out.
    I have mixed dahlia who knows what there names are but they
    are nice when they are in bloom.
    I want to thank every one for there input and help.
    I learned alot in a very short time thanks to all of you nice people!
    Now i wonder how my poor dahlias ever made it !
    Will use my new learned skills right away.

Sincerly
    jsweaney
    yelmtel.com

Blog Entries
    Whew ! Got 5 Dahlias dug, washed, and stems clipped further.
    Am going to use a hair dryer(on cool) to make sure they are dry.
    Then it's off to the fungicide treatment and then..I do not have anyplace between 40-50 degrees ! AUGH! My basement is finished and warm in winter cool in summer. I am seriously considering the garage(the walls are not finished), it is attached to the house. I have a large enclosed metal shelving unit with a roll down front(which would roll down better if hubby hadn't run the truck into it) ;-) It will definitely get below freezing here. Do you think it's possible if I store the Dahlias in a box, lined with newspaper in well--I'm actually leaning towards cotton hulls, inside the shelving unit that they'll keep from freezing ? I've also thought about placing a thermometer to monitor temp. Gee, then on nights below 32 degrees I can explain to my Elkhound that the Dahlias get to sleep in the house but she doesn't since they aren't made for the cold but she is
    Any thoughts on the garage storage ?
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 11-22-2003 at 08:30 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast