+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How Dried Can Canna be and still be OK?

Blog Entries

Angry How Dried Can Canna be and still be OK?

I'm a little miffed right now as I am looking at canna bulbs purchased on Ebay that look nothing like the other canna that I got and planted this past weekend. The 'good' ones were nice and white and fleshy with feeder roots looking the same; also, some evidence of foliage. I didn't have to look for eyes because I could see where the foliage was cut.
    Compare those to the 6 I'm looking at that are brown and have been cut into T shapes and the cuts are very dry which make me feel like the entire bulb is dry. The feeder roots are dried. 5 out of 6 have at least one eye. 3 out of six have reddish green on the eye-the only sign of health. Am I needlessly concerned because they look dried--some more than others ? How dried can canna be and still be OK ?
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 10-16-2003 at 07:46 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Dried Canna Bulbs

Cathy,

All of the bulbs/rhizomes that I have started with are dried. Once dormant, these are very forgiving. Just make sure they do not remain dormant for too long.

They are fairly forgiving...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Took them to a local nuresry to be looked at as I told the seller that to be fair to her I'd have them looked at. She offered to replace the ones I thought weren't good. Well, I was soundly chastised by the 'horticulturist' for attempting to plant canna in the fall. He said, "WHY(strong emphasis on 'why') are you planting cannas in the fall ?" I felt like Lily Tomlin when she plays that little girl in the gigantic rocking chair and was able to muster, "Yes, I know, there are people who think that the canna will survive the winter in the ground and others who take them out." He said,"well, we are right on the 'border' for that, but spring flowering bulbs are planted in the fall and summer flowering bulbs, which these are(oh, duh, I didn't know that-LOL) are planted in spring." Whew, a horticulturist with attitude. EEk ! Anyway, they are all going back. I do have some nice ones in the ground that I planted last weekend. The ones in the previous threads above. They have wilted a bit but I figure it's probably just their time to go dormant.
    What I did learn from the "Bulbinator" at the nursery is that what you want to look for is evidence of future shoots. That is not the protruding pointy eye but rather small pointy bumps along the rhizome-these will be the future shoots.
    Well, remember that 5 tons of topsoil--it came yesterday and that's my weekend gig ! Let's hear it for caffeine and ibuprofin !
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 10-18-2003 at 06:46 PM.

what type of canna did you buy from ebay? I purchased 6 city of portland earlier this summer and only 4 produced foliage.

Since it is winter here in Michigan, everything is in vermiculite for the winter storage.

I have extra canna that grow tall, with deep purple leaves and ting of bright green. The flower is red. If you would like a few rhizomes, I'd be happy to share them with you.

Jodie

Everythings brown

Blog Entries
    Jodie- Actually I'm not sure what these ones were. I had just got some beautiful Florence Vaughn's on Ebay. Here's a pic from another site http://www.playlandgardens.com/Produ...nceVaughan.htm and was kind hoping that these were them as well. The picture was blurry and when I tried, indirectly, to find out if they were Florence Vaughn this is how they were described they "start out yellow with an orange bloch in the middle and maybe few spots and as they mature they turn more orange then yellow. The largers blooms are about the size of a grapefruit." They were described as being dwarf. I next suspected that they could be orange punch http://www.karcheskycanna.com/orangepunch.htm
    Boy, that would be a lucky shot if they were. But I won't know 'til next summer assuming they will survive the winter.
    I'm so unsure of what I'm doing with these canna as far as actually planting them now. The Florence Vaughn's were clearly non-dormant and quite hydrated(plump and fleshy), but these other ones---I did receive replacements today--have leaves attached for sure, but the rhizomes are fairly dry. I really really don't understand. Anyway I planted the others and of course since they can't tell me how they are doing(soright ? soright !) I have to wait about 7 months. I don't even know if I planted them right--since they had been viable and some had their foliage I just kinda figured about where they had been in the ground depth-wise and planted accordingly.
    It's so nice of you to offer the canna. I think right now I'll see how things go with these. I may not be a canna person. After all, I am the only person in recorded history who managed to kill varigated liriope(you know the plant that's an invasive weed for everyone else)-LOL !
    thanks again !

Dazed Lily,

Thank you for the links and good luck with your cannas! The extra canna I have are called Redbirds.

I'm planning on making a new area for all of my canna collection next spring and hopefully will add a few more new varieties. I also have Florence Vaughn, Firecracker, Portlands, and Bangkok Yellows.

The only problem is having to dig them up and store for the winter.

Two years ago I gave away over 100 rhizomes of the Redbirds. So if you decide you like cannas, I'll be happy to share them.

Jodie

Blog Entries
    Jodie- Thank you. I will definitely keep that in mind

Blog Entries

Say Goodbye to Cabin Fever !

Isn't this a beautiful canna ? I just ordered some:

It's called Princess Di. It's Dwarf and supposedly more flower than foliage (goodbye cabin fever !):
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 02-01-2004 at 01:33 PM.

+ Reply to Thread