+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wave petunias

Wave petunias

I grew wave petunias for the first time this year. They did really well and still look beautiful. For the first few nights of cold temps in the 30's I drug all my potted impatiens & waves in and the house looked like a jungle. I got tired of that real quick. They survived for 2 more nights and then zap! We did have low in the 20's one night. All the new guinea impatiens, impatiens deader than dead though. I knew they would but it breaks my heart every fall. I had some tuberous begonias I forgot to bring in, and they died too. Can't wait till spring!
    Last edited by vicki; 10-10-2003 at 08:28 PM.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

vickie
    if you can overwinter your petunias and imp
    you can do cuttings in feb /march for cell packs and then into hanging baskets.
    guard for bugs and keep from freezing temps in the GH all winter.
    so far the blue waves are hardiest outdoors and all of my garden architurtures pots of waves went gang busters after moving them in to the greenhouse.with out additional heat so far.

i have more than i need for next winter.
    shepp zone5/6
    Last edited by shepp; 10-11-2003 at 07:03 PM.

Shepp,
    Never did get my greenhouse built. Nor hoophouse. Had some family problems earlier this year and things are finally settling down from them. I do have a unused 10 x 12 unheated basement room though, and a few light fixtures.

I was so disappointed in my young sons misbehavior, breaking the sliding glass door panels I was collecting to do a lean-to greenhouse. I don't think they will ever see that dang bb gun again.
    My hubby promised me a greenhouse like yours is at the top of the list for the coming spring. I already have 2 light (MH) fixtures, a big fan, and bench material.

I will bring the waves in and hang them on the 12 hooks in south facing windows until they just can't take it anymore! The dear daughter wants a big pot to set in her room. So the other 5 will just have to go to plant heaven, I suppose.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

sorry to hear all of that.
    hope it all happens for you soon.
    neccesity is the mother of invention!
    good luck shepp

Vicki, I used to overwinter my plants in a basement room. It was well insulated and never got to freezing and had a couple of small south facing windows. The plants went semi dormant but overwintered very well. I started my seeds there on an electric blanket then moved them under shop lights til it was warm enough to move them outdoors. I have a big sunny room now to bring my houseplants to but still overwinter some in an unheated room in the house. It gives them a rest and I don't have to water as often. Try your petunias in your basement room. Just don't forget to water them.
    This is also a good place to overwinter cacti. I love having them close in the winter to start new ones from cuttings. That feeds my addiction to propagate, even in the winter. It will keep you busy until hubby gets that greenhouse up.
    tennessee sue

Shepp & Sue,
    Thanks for your advice and encouragement! It is deeply appreciated!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread