+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ladybugs!

Ladybugs!

After a short week of cold temps, have had nice weather in the 70's and the ladybugs are swarming. At night they disappear, I'm a feared my walls are filling up! Yuck!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

call your county extension agent and ask for info on what to do about asian ladybugs.
    i was bit 3 times today while at work .
    and when you mash them they STINK!!!
    shepp zone 5/6

What to do

Hi All,
    Read an article in the newspaper and they said the best thing is to vacumn them.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Vicki- This is interesting. Are you dealing with regular 'ol lady bugs or this new Asian strain that Shepp mentioned ? What's the story with this new strain ? (any internet links?)
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Asian ladybugs

Cathy,
    They are asian ladybugs. I don't have any links. but I remember reading that they keep spreading west. First had a problem with them here last year. Yesterday was in the 70's and they were at it again. They do swarm and BITE! Other than that, was told to vacunum (sp?) them and dispose of the bag. Kinda like you have to do with fleas.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/hse-fact/1030.html
    Eek ! Iíve seen some funky ladybugs that didnít fit the generic red with black spots over the years but always by themselves. Iíd sure hate to erradicate the wrong ladybug. Hereís a link I found. Since they are moving west, Iíll have to research this some more. Right now, our biggest fear is West Nile virus which just about makes you think you have to be a prisoner in your own home at night. Although I douse with Deet and go for it. I figure that by now if I was suceptible Iíd have had it.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Good link

Cathy,
    That is a very informative link you posted. They do love to swarm especially my DH light colored pole building/garage. I took my screens down to clean the windows before installing the storms and that is the day, they swarmed ME! I didn't realize they did controlled releases of them. Can't imagine what they said about them not colonize well. They sure seemed to have here. But maybe for the trees and shrubs they are a blessing!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread