+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My School!

My School!

Well, I have survived 3 weeks, and I am actually looking forward to the 4th. I must say it is a struggle to be a new teacher coming into the system 5 weeks after school started. It is even harder being in graduate school at night. It is online, but a lot of work.

I thought you might want to see a picture of where I am teaching.

The rooms that you see on the second level on the right are being renovated. The math department will be on the second floor, so I will be moving to one of those rooms.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    3 weeks already ! Time certainly does fly by. Didn't know you were also taking grad school courses. Wow..what kind of vitamins are you taking ? Although we all know about the restorative powers of gardening !
    I think that's great; remember to pamper yourself now and then !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Yeah! Time is flying too fast. I need to catch my breath and get my feet on the ground.

The graduate courses are a requirement because my degrees are in traditional scientific computing and math. I don't have a degree in education, so I need to take the graduate education courses. I am finding them most helpful, but wish I could have completed these two before I started.

They are Effective Classroom Manaagement and Reading/Writing in Math.

I am feeling overwhelmed priimarily because I was assigned and one week later started these online courses. Also, the kids are quite a challenge. That is putting is nicely...

I seem to be gaining the reputation of 'Don't mess with her, she'll suspend you". I don't have the power to suspend. I reported them. The powers to be decided on the action.

I have a wonderful principal. And he is standing behind me 100%. He knows my heart is in the right place, and he trusts me that I am good at what I do.

I cannot allow ANY students to disrupt my class with misbehavior. That is bottom line, and the rampant cheating will stop.

The students now have the message, and we will see what happens from here.

Now, does that sound like a teacher?

Actually, as hard as it is to get a late start, I am still confident that I have done what is right for me. The students were confused at first. I teach differently than their former teacher. I teach to understand, not to memorize, and when I started hearing, "Hey, I get it" more and more, I know I am making progress!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

The Starfish Story

Ann,

I think the best message any teacher can get from their students is when those students utter those three words,"I Get It!", with excitment and awe in their voices. A real "WOW!" moment, for both student and teacher.

I know you will be hearing those three simple words very often!

So very often success comes in snippets that adhear together. With teaching, the small successes that accumulate in the class (room) of one teacher can and do carry over to the students other classes as they reailize that the lessons learned in one class can be applied to all others.

You may not be able to reach every student, but you will have least made a difference in the lives of some.

"While walking down the beach, a man saw someone in the distance leaning down, picking something up and throwing it in the ocean.

As he came closer, he saw thousands of starfish the tide had thrown onto the beach. Unable to return to the ocean during low tide, the starfish were dying. He observed a young boy picking up the starfish one by one and throwing them back into the ocean.

After watching the seemingly futile effort, the observer said, "There must be thousands of starfish on this beach. It would be impossible for you to save all of them. There are simply too many. You can't possibly save enough to make a difference.

The young boy smiled as he picked up another starfish and tossed it back into the ocean.

"It made a difference to that one," he replied."

Note: October 24, 2003

Well Ann, How is everything progressing?

Rebecca
    [
    Last edited by Rebecca; 10-24-2003 at 10:57 AM.
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread