+ Reply to Thread

Thread: winter gardening

winter gardening

Hi, I have a collection of about eight groups of Maryland native plant seed that I am looking to stratify/germinate/propogate this winter (03/04) - includes foxglove beardtongue, cardinal flower, blue flag iris, yucca, coreopsis. I would really appreciate any advice on the subject as I'm just starting out...

Blog Entries
    Welcome 'Lisa' !
    Well seeing from your profile that you are 'a gardener for an organic farm and education center', you already have one up on me. Short of looking up the requirements for each plant listed, I'll assume they are all wild and require stratification. I have seeds that are considered 'wild flowers'(purple prairie clover, mexican hat and red yarrow) and plan to just scatter them per wildflower directions(soil should not be 'too' worked;don't cover with soil) once the weather turns cold for good. The winter will take care of stratification. I'll hold back some seeds in the fridge(which is where they all are now) just in case this turns into a boondoggle, then I could try again in the spring either broadcasting them or starting them in trays.
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 10-05-2003 at 06:32 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Welcome to Landspro! I am going to try a little winter sowing this year for the first time intentionally. From all I've read this taakes care of the stratification requirements of most perennials, esp. wildflowers. I also have a great love for natives. What zone are you in?
    What I am going to try is to plant the seed in flats after it turns really cold. I would like to leave them out in the open but will not due to haevy squirrel population. Little buggers like to plant in all my flats and displace or eat my seed. The flats will either be in an unheated greenhouse or in a covered frame. Might try covering with sometype of wire so nature can do her work and keep pests out.
    Let's both keep journals of what and when we plant and what method. Then we can compare notes in the spring when hopefully we will have all sorts of little seedlings.
    I am looking forward to trying this as it will take a few tasks away from the spring season. Have enough tender and annual plants to start that need all our attention at that time of year.
    Good luck and we'll compare in spring.
    tennessee sue

Welcome to Landspro, Lisa! I am glad that you found us. We have some really wonderful members here.

What a great idea, Sue!

I started some Foxglove despite being told that they wouldn't do well here. I started the seeds under florrescents in late August/Sept in plug trays. In 6 weeks, I transplanted them to cell packs and moved them outdoors.

They grew so fast, I transplanted them once again to 4" tray cells. I overwintered that first year in 4" containers outdoors. Due to a broken toe, I never did get them planted in the ground. They rooted into the ground via holes in the 4" pots, and I decided not to disturb them.

Being beinnials, they didn't bloom the first spring, but a search on the Landspro forums will show you pics of the ones that did bloom this spring.

What a joy! And I harvested lots of tiny seeds.

I want to try again, but this time I will transplant from plug trays to cell packs, then directly into the ground.

Like Tom said, the trick in our heat is to make sure they get plenty of sunlight and yet protect them from that hot noon sun. For those of you further north than the Gulf Coast, you probably don't need to worry about that and will plant them in full sun. They will probably self seed for you. I haven't tried that yet because I was always told they won't grow well here, but they do!

And I adore them!

Again, Welcome Lisa!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread