+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First Frost Of The Season

Blog Entries

First Frost Of The Season

Well, we not only got our first frost of the season last night, but our first hard freeze as well.

I had one potted daylily in bloom so I brought it indoors for the night. Others that are also in scape but in the ground seemed to have faired fairly well, this time; unfortunately, more cold temps are in the forecast for the next several days. The one I did briong in is one Wags had sent to me just under a month ago, it is one of his own seedlings. I did get a picture of it when I got home from work, but it didn't open very well, no doubt it doesn't like cold nights!

I don't have many annuals and most of what I do have weathered the frost and freeze pretty good. The coleous, however, didn't do so well.

My Mums are just starting to color up really well and a frost or freeze doesn't seem to affect them too much. They all will get a reddish blush to them, but that's about all.

Here's a pix of one of the pale pastel mums I have.

Enjoy,

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Frost, Hard Freeze ?! Say it isn't so. I'm not ready--aughhh!
    I still have so much to do; 5 tons of dirt coming tomorrow followed by lots of planting and apparently winter mulching !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries

Geeze GF, it IS October, you know! Still, it is too early for it to be getting this cold! I think I'll have to blame it on Isabelle or what ever that Hurricane's name was! Our first frost doesn't normally hit for another two to three weeks!

I wasn't ready either! Had to do some hussling to get all the house plants moved inside on MOnday and Tuesday and then, I'll be switched, I forgot one! Didn't even see it until this evening after work. Lucky for me, it was unscathed! I guess 'Violet Squill' is a tough little bulb!

Now then, what on earth are you gonna do with 5 TONS of dirt? And where can I get some? How much does it cost? and do you wanna come help me build a mound bed in my front yard?

Rebecca
    Last edited by Rebecca; 10-02-2003 at 06:57 PM.
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Whoa! Pretty Mum!

FROST?

That would be hard for me to get used to...

Our weather HAS taken a sudden change for cooler. We are having highs in the upper 70s and lows in the upper 50s as of late.

I see that the forecast calls for a low in the upper 40s in a few days. That's going to be a shocker. I am not at all prepared for cold weather.

I did manage to remember to turn off the air in the room this afternoon so that the students wouldn't freeze in the morning. I hesitated, though. They seem to curl up in their seats and settle down more when they are chilled.

The thermostat doesn't work, so I loan one of the students a pair of scissors to switch the unit off or on. They are good about returning them because they know they will need them again the next day.

I haven't managed to get my feet on the ground yet, but I am working very hard on it and gaining everyday.

Hopefully, everything will settle down in time for me to get MY plants ready.

It would help to have some rain.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I woke up this morning to a white gound. Very heavy frost for this time of year. I worked the other day taking things into the greenhouse and bringing things into thehouse. Still have more to bring from the greenhouse to the house. My special tender babies.
    Hang in there Ann. Things will get easier when you get adjusted a little bit.
    Everybody bundle up. Fall is here. Almost as much to do in fall as spring in this business. Tucking everything in for the winter. I am getting flats and seed ready to try winter sowing of a lot of perennials. Been reading a lot about it and am excited about trying it. Any experience with it please give me advice?
    tennessee sue

how about 3 frosts so far

but this morn was extremety heavy frost.
    so heavy it looked like snow. north of me by an hours drive did see snow yesterday and this morn!!!
    gourds vines are done in. along with hydrangea's
    i didnt get to look around the nursery tonite very much after work because i went to cut firewood asap again.
    i was told by my significant other that there was a lot that got nailed last nite.
    ornamental grasses look un touched.
    the leaves on the trees havent turned into there FALL colors as of yet.looking forward to that. field planted shrubs look good and healthy despite all of the rain we have had this year and are continuing to get tonite , along with rain in the forcast for sat and sunday.
    if you dont like the weather in this part of the oountry just wait an hour or 2 it will change.
    shepp zone 5/6
    Last edited by shepp; 10-03-2003 at 09:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    Shepp- You must be up north some. My sister lives in Morris NY near Oneonta and said they had blowing snow. Said it was like a tornado(now she wouldn't know about that but 'ol sis here in KS knows) as the tree tops and snow were just whipped up together-everything was white. It didn't stick though.

Oh please let's not talk snow yet. I'm waiting for a warm spell. Still have a lot of perennials to divide, a lot of plants to get where they need to be before really cold weather.
    Shepp there is an article about railroad gardens in the latest isue of Garden Center Merchandising & Management. Thought about you when I saw it.
    tennessee sue

Hey!

Let's not even talk about frost! Just kidding! I am learning from all of you.

I am feeling overwhelmed as of late, but that will get better...

Thank goodness, frost for me is at least a 6 weeks away, and the norm is 8 weeks from now.

For those of you that are getting it already, I feel for you. One thing for sure, you are better at getting ready for it than I am! You are used to it. It seems to me that you go from summer to what I call winter awfully FAST.

In the mid 80's for highs here right now. Lows in the mid to upper 60's. That feels nice for a change...

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

sue i dont get that periodical.
    sorry i missed it.
    as far as temps go 72 for a high and 60 for a low year round would suit me just fine.
    i hate hot and i hate cold.
    wind blew so hard and cold thursday my face was windburnt that evening.
    its 44 here now .
    woodburner is full for the nite.
    akron and cleveland had snow thursday and friday.
    i expect to see it anyday now.
    shepp zone5/6
    just now gettin warm in the caboose. balmy 78 in here. after workin out in the elements all day.
    i have a door open to cool it down a little in here.

Shepp, It is a publication of Branch-Smith Publishing (same as GMPro). Subscribe free at greenbeam.com. Ask them to send you the Oct. issue.
    tennessee sue

Woodburner time again, huh, Shepp? I don't envy you...

Highs in the 70s and lows in the 60s are sufficient for a perfect climate for me with one exception. It sure would be nice to get 1-2 inches of rain per week. Not 5-10 for weeks at a time following by none for weeks.

We are now experiencing a drought, and I am moving sprinklers around as I can.

Good news is that once watered, so very many plants are in bloom. They always do best here in the fall and the spring here!

The Purple Smoke tree looked sad all summer because I didn't prune it, but it is filling out and turning such a beautiful color. Seeds are ripening as we speak. It appears to bloom several times here, but best in the Spring and the Fall.

My dwarf cannas are showing off right about now. The sun loving coleus is hanging in there even though I have been letting them go to seed. They are a definite must for making cuttings to overwinter. These things are huge, not the hanging basket kind. They add more constant color than any other plant in my garden.

The passifloras are in their glory...

Enjoy! I am not ready for frost!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Today was beautiful here in Wichita sunny and warm. October is usually cold and wet(particularly at the end of the month). We had so much rain Thursday night that the dirt company called and said they couldn't deliver the 5 tons of topsoil. If they hadn't called I would have called them as we had very little sleep the night before. Got a call from Lifeline at 11:15 PM that my Mom(85) had pressed the lifeline button 3x with no reply. She's in Florida; I'm in Kansas. Long story short-she had fallen -ended up with stitches in her arm. Friday was a complete blur for me-calling sister and brother, calling the floor nurse. Mom says she feels much better now and is going home tomorrow.
    So, today was extra beautiful. I did mange to plant 50 Ivy plugs along my fence under the trees bordering the fence. It was quite peaceful sitting under the trees, and I'm sure quite comical for anyone who would catch a glimpse of me crawling under the trees trying not to get snagged on the very low branches and trying to find an opening to get in and out.
    I still have much planting to do and keep feeling like I'm a week off 'schdeule'--meaning I just know I am going to get caught planting in the cold and wind.
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 10-05-2003 at 07:05 PM.

+ Reply to Thread