+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trumpet Lilies-Location for Winter

Blog Entries

Trumpet Lilies-Location for Winter

I just separated 10 trumpet lilies which are a year and a half old. They each now have their own 1 quart pot. I like the idea of being able to move them around in the summer.
    My question is this...where do they spend the winter ? They haven't indicated that they'd like to go to Florida so their options are:
    On the south side of my house sunk in the ground against the house and somewhat protected and mulched over or leave them on the north side(mulched over) where they have been or bring them inside ????
    Thanks !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Trumpet lilies are very winter hardy, and I would think that the larger the bulbs are, the more likely they will survive hard freezes.

You could put them in either area, but I would make sure that no matter where you put them, they have good drainage and protection from hungry varments looking for food in the winter.

Even here, I have problems with rats foraging for food, and they will shred some plants to pieces for making nests for babies, I suppose...

Squirrels are also a problem here, but they tend to leave my bulbs alone. There are plenty of acorns and pecans for them to bury for future use. My landscape can attest to that. They love to store them close to a fence or similar structure... I still have many to dig up when it is not so very HOT!

Just don't forget that when they get large enough, you can remove some outer scales to start new ones. It's fascinating to watch this happen!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann- Thanks ! About scales--Funny enough in the potting process, some leaves came off. One came off with an outer scale attached. I remembered what I read on Landspro and stuck it in one one the pots :-)

Blog Entries

Cathy,

If these are the 'Easter Lily' type Trumpets I'd be putting them on the South side of the house, next to the foundation, sunk to the lip of the pot and heavily mulched. They aren't as forgiving as the longifolium lilies, especially when grown in a pot or their first year or two in the ground and they really need the extra protection a think layer of mulch will provide.

I learned this the hard way and lost all of the Madonna/Easter Lilies I had gotten last year and had growing in pots. I put them with all the other potted lilies and daylilies, on top of the ground and mulched only with leaves. I have new bulbs this year and will be planting the bigger bulbs in the ground, but bringing in the little bulblets and growing them on in the basement light garden. I also have a couple of pink lonifoliums waiting to be planted (got them from my Dad back in May). I do have an ideal location for all of these as well as all the rest of the lilies that I have had growing in pots this year.

You know, I am glad you asked this question because I had totally forgotten about the lilies and where I was going to plant them! Guess I had better had that to my ever-growing list of things to do on my next day off from work!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Whoops!

I think I may have answered too fast and not asked the question as to which type of 'trumpet lily'.

So, let me back up....

There are 8 Divisions of Lilium, so like every other family of plants, the hardiness can vary from one variety to another. One can't always assume as Rebecca is saying. It's a lot to type, and life has been somewhat hectic as we speak, so please forgive me for any typos...

Here they are:

Division 1: Asiatic Hybrids

Early flowering, compact plants with Upright/Outward/Pendant flowering. These are stem rooting meaning they will root above the bulbs.

Division 2: Martagon Hybrids

Bloom in late spring and are 3-6 foot high and they are also stem rooting.

Division 3: Candidum Hybrids

Bloom in spring and early summer with often larger flowers.

Division 4: American Hybrids

Blooms in late spring or early summer and are 4-8 foot tall with potentially larger flowers than Division 4. These are hybrids of North American natives.

Division 5: Longiflorum Hybrids This is what I know of as the typical Easter lily here or the white trumpet lily. They are forced for sale at easter, not easy to do, but normally bloom in midsummer.

Division 6: Trumpet Hybrids
    Blooms in summer and are about 4-6 foot tall with the largest blooms ranging from 6-10 inches. Included are Aurelian and Olympic hybrids which have trumpet shaped blooms. Some members of this division may have starlike, pendant, open or flat blooms.

Division 7: Oriental Hybrids

Bloom in late summer (mid summer here) and can be 2-8 feet tall with blooms as large as 12 inches. My favorite, the Stargazer featured on the Landspro logo is one of these. The stargazers in that pic are from my Dad's funeral, and I have to tell you that my Dad was my biggest supporter and believer when I decided to create Landspro. The logo is in his honor and memory. He would be proud, as I am of him...

Division 8: Species Lilies
    Species native to North America, Europe and Asia. This type includes the Regal Lily which is often caterogized as Trumpet and one of the most familiar in the 'trumpet' category.

Hope that helps! It's long overdo that I explain that life is not simple when it comes to lilium, and knowing that I should not have made any assumptions....

Sorry!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Not to worry..mine are Division 6 Trumpet Hybrids. I'm glad that Rebecca reminded all about Easter Lilies as they require specific care. I'm also glad that you mentioned varmints as I can just see the mice chowing down on my Trumpet Lilies placed next to the house in what I would assume to be a protected area. Since, they appear to be hardy I just might leave them on the north side of the house, and mulch well. At first I was thinking perhaps in an area where they are more likely to get max sun but then again I wouldn't want them getting confused during a warm spell and thinking it's showtime !

Blog Entries
    Well yesterday we had wind, rain and a wind chill of 36 degrees. I worried about my Trumpet Lilies which were still out in the open in pots. When I got home from work, in retrospect, I did my best impression of the robot in the old 'Lost In Space' shows.."Danger, Danger, trumpet lilies". And quickly scooped the pots up and took them into the garage for protection. Well today it was in the fifties and when I got home from work, I took them back out to where they were. What a hoot ! I'm still wrestling with sinking the pots into the ground or bringing them in to the basement daylight windowsill. If I do sink them into the ground, based on yesterday's episode, I can just see myself out there at the first frost warning gathering them up and bringing them inside
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 10-01-2003 at 06:51 PM.

+ Reply to Thread