+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Signs of Fall...

Signs of Fall...

Thanks to a cold front, it is only 81 degrees. It feels great outside compared to what it has been. For the next few days, highs are going to be in the upper 80's with lows sometimes falling just below 70. It's amazing how much difference a few degrees and lower humidity makes....

I am certainly looking forward to cooler afternoons, and I know that they are just around the corner. The leaves on my pecan trees are starting to turn brown and fall. Although, I'm not looking forward to raking them, I don't mind when it is not so very hot and humid.

We still have a few more months until it gets constantly cold here, but my friends in Wisconsin tell me that frost will be knocking at their doors pretty soon.

I have at least a few more days off, and I looking forward to them. This is the time of the year that I start perennial seeds and start making cuttings of tender perennials and herbaceous shrubs.

I hope to make at least one more presentation to a garden club before frost arrives and my shrubs die to the ground.

I do like this time of the year...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Amen to that Ann. We are having the same delightful weather break in Houston, Mid 80's to 70 at night and low humidity, with refreshing breezes. Wonderful followup to a week which produced 10" of rain in total at our house. Going to have a private plant sale Oct. 4th, am in charge of our Church Fall Festival plant booth October 11th, so digging, potting, and propagating plants like crazy these days. Will prune, dig, and pot tropicals for placement in the greenhouse in mid-late November. Fall is always an incredibly busy time of year for us gardeners, wherever we live.

I've gotta admit, no 10" here this week. I think perhaps we have had somewhere between 2" and 4" depending on which area in the county you live.

I haven't really kept track of it this year, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that we were behind in our normal rainfall. Even though we are getting the usual 1-3" per week, the long drought we had last spring put us behind. And, thank goodness (knock on wood), we haven't had a tropical storm, YET!

You know how that goes... The season is far from over!

It is nice, though, to know that the worst of the heat of the summer is most likely over and things will be cooling down somewhat soon.

I am truly hoping for a very wet spring next year, but don't get me wrong.... None of those 100 year floods in March! We can definitely do without those!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

my favorite time of the year next to when winter is over

we had 11 + inches of rain in august i think it set a record.
    temps are 75 day
    52 at nite past 4 days .
    welcome as far as i am concerned.
    i only have 5 cords of firewood ready, cut split and stacked.
    havent had a campfire or roasted a weenie outside for 10 weeks ,either due to pouring rain or downrite hot and extremely muggy.
    unusual for here !
    gotta get 5 more cords ready for winter.
    and repot a whole bunch of shrubs before winter.
    btw last nite i had a campfire cooked some weenies and made my award winning chile and a few friends over .
    everyone left with a smile on there face and a full belly.
    and cant wait to do it again.
    i was given another award for my chili soup.
    they said
    that was good.and a pat on the shoulder!!!
    award enuf for me.

locust trees are dropping leaves along with black walnut trees.
    nuts are dropping . hickory, black walnut, butternut, acorns. etc.
    peaches are almost done . apples are in there prime.
    and pumpkins are turning orange.
    gourds are starting to plump up but they better hurry.
    jack frost is nearly here.
    kept the campfire going all day and cooked more hotdogs this morning for breakfast.
    yummie.
    leftover chile again tonite.more yummie .
    did i mention this is my favorite time of the year.!!!

shepp zone5/6

Fall, what's fall?

Shepp, Loved your description of your seasonal events
    About the only tree that shows fall color along the TX Gulf Coast is a tree we are trying to rid - an abnoxious introduced pest, the Chinese Tallow. We did have a very unseasonable 65 degree low temp. 25 miles inland from Galveston on Sept 7th and loving it. Spring and Fall are our best seasons and we are feeling Fall weather a little early this year. During the heat of summer, we hibernate in our air conditioned houses from 10 AM till 6 PM. In Spring and Fall, we spend as much time as possible outdoors doing our gardening things as these are our best weather seasons with moderate temps and lower humidity. In winter, we worry about the chance of getting a rare freeze and cover our remaining outdoor tender plants in blankets when the blue norther's come through. We are in a "tween" zone for certain plants - between tropical and temperate. Many would make it some years but not every winter if left outdoors. I have many plants in that category and just don't take chances. The Greenhouse gets stuffed to the point there is wiggle room only between Dec. 15th thru March 15th. A stack of blankets and covers stand ready to protect those that don't fit into the GH.

Bob,

I had to smile when I started reading your post. I knew before you said the 'Chinese Tallow' that you would be desciribing that tree. I have mentioned it before as an invasive plant, a problem for me.

It is commonly known as a Popcorn Tree here. My neighbor planted several in their landscape and recently announced that they had dug up a few seedlings for their daughter.

People like them. They are a pretty tree.

So, what can I say?

Unfortunately, it has started taking over some of our woodlands and become quite a problem.

We do have other fall colors in some of our native trees, but nothing like the display you see up north in the fall. The northeast is a great place to visit when the leaves start to change colors.

Absolutely, gorgeous! But the only 'Popcorn' trees in my yard will be the ones I haven't managed to get rid of yet. Needless to say, I have many, and one is absolutely huge desprite being cut back several times.

Have FUN with the chili and the campfires, Shepp. Gotta admit that Hunter thinks that my chili is the best anywhere. He called it tacos for a long time, but now he knows it's chili with a twist....

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Fall Signs

The sure sign of fall is here in Lakeland, raintree blooms. All the trees around town are covered in the yellow blooms and a few are already sporting the begining of pink seedpods. Another sign of fall was the regional meeting of my AHS , of which my club is a division of. The meeting was a big success and I won three auctions at the meeting for , two daylilies and a floral centerpiece that had been on the tables where we had lunch. The daylilies I won were Secret Delight and Black Briar Bay.
    I took the floral centerpiece over to the nursing home where my mom is and gave it to my mom. You should have seen her face when she saw it. She was sitting in her wheelchair when we arrived with her back to the door and I walked up behind her and slowly brought it around and in front of her to see it. She looked good but I can tell she is getting weaker everytime I go to see her. She complained that the nursing home always fixes the same veggies to go with the meal and she was tired of them. She doesn't have any teeth in her upper gum and so can't chew very well . I have brought her some things she could eat without having to chew very much, like a salad she really wanted. I am going to take her a fruit salad that she wants and maybe a piece of fruit or two, but nothing more than that due to them taking it away from her. They say it goes in the refrigerator for later but she never gets any of it back so I suspect that the aides are getting it.
    It was a rainy day today but we took her outside on the porch and sat out there for about anhour talking and letting her get some fresh air. We sat out there until she started getting chilled and then we took her back into her room. We could see she was getting tired so we told her that we would see her tomorrow .
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

high of 60 next few days.
    days are gettin shorter
    fall is here.
    besides according to the calendar it was a few days ago.
    happy halloween.
    its time to pot from 1 gall to 3 gall.
    BOO

+ Reply to Thread