+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for these Plants

Looking for these Plants

Does anyone by chance have and could spare a cutting of Brugmansia "Peaches and Cream" or another variegated cultivar of Brugmansia (not Datura). Another plant I am in search of include Zingeber mioga variegata (a ginger). If so, I would love to do some trading with you from plants in my collection.
    Last edited by Bob Beyer; 09-02-2003 at 08:28 AM.

Hey, Bob!

The Brugsmania 'Peaches and Cream' is on my list of wanted plants also. I know where you can purchase it if you don't find one for trade, but it is $9.95 plus shipping and only a very small rooted cutting.

Is it true that this one is hardy to zone 8?

Let me know if you locate one for trade...

Otherwise, I am planning to purchase one.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Also on my wish list is a tri-colored strawberry begonia!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Saxifraga sarmentosa, the Strawberry Begonia (not a true begonia - problem with common names) should be fairly easy to find. Bet someone on Landspro has it. The tricolor one is very popular. It gets too hot in Houston for this plant. I found a mail order source for B. 'Peaches and Cream" for 7.95 but they have a $20 minimum + $10 shipping!. They also have the native Hawaiian white hibiscus and a variegated Carissa grandiflora I am looking for but believe I can get the latter from another source in Houston. I like you first try the trading approach - more fun that way. If you have a network of plant friends, it is often more economical to develop joint orders to save on shipping cost. I have done this often. What else is on your "wish list"?

Bob,

I have the regular 'Strawberry Begonia'. I grow it in a hanging basket. It does well on the mantel of my fireplace in the winter (near windows) and thrives under the shade of my old pecans the rest of the year. It doesn't get a lot of rain because it is also under the eaves of my home which are quite wide so it only gets rain that is blown in from the north. The rest of the time I have to hand water it.

It doesn't seem to need much water. The roots are quite fine...

I'll have to look up the names of a few others on my wish list. I'll post as soon as I find them, but right now the ground is dry and I desperately need to mow!

Till Later!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Bob,

Perhaps you will know the name of this one....

I took the picture at Bellingrath Gardens last August. One of the employees told me that it is tropical so they dig it up and overwinter it in one of their greenhouses. It is about 5' tall and the leaves are about 6-8" long.

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Another plant that I want is Allamanda 'Chocolate Cherry'. They had one at a local garden center ( "Betty Jo's"), but when I inquired, they said it was not for sale. I offered to purchase a cutting but they wouldn't sell a cutting either.

Win some, lose some, but it doesn't hurt to ask... I haven't had a chance to go back this year to see if they now have them for sale. I hope to get a chance to do that this week.

I'm sorry, but I don't have a picture of this one...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, The photo you posted was a Plumeria. The exact cultivar name is an open question. See my Plumeria page at http://www.houstongardening.info/plumeria.htm .

I have seen a mail order website recently that had that Allamanda along with other pretty need ones. I will try to resurrect it for you. I have had no luck growing Allamanda here in Houston. The plant grows vigorously but never blooms. Hope you have better experience where you are.

Thanks! I suspected the first was a plumeria. It's a really nice plant. I liked these blooms in particular because of the rainbow like effect of the color.

I know of one source for the Allamanda, but the plants are small. The yellow variety blooms like crazy here. Taco Bell has them in their landscape and when people see them, they all want one.

Let me know if you come accross another source.

Thanks!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

plant craziness...

Ann, I laughed when I saw your plumeria picture, because I have had plumeria fever for several years now! I tried several times to root cuttings, but was never successful. I now believe that I was trying at the wrong time of year in Oregon, and there simply wasn't enough heat or light to bring them out of dormancy. I finally bought 2 rooted cuttings from Teas Nursery in Texas. They're on the web. The "cuttings" came rooted in 1-gal pots, and one was a single 18" tall stem. The other was about 20" tall with 3 branches. The price was astoundingly reasonable. I haven't decided yet whether I will try to keep them going indoors over the winter, or let them go dormant.

Check around the web, plumeria people are almost a cult!

I also chuckled about the unintentional misspelling of brugmansia. By spelling it "brugs - mania", it just highlighted how that is another plant that has a crazy bunch of enthusiasts. I have 3 tiny rooted cuttings of an unnamed yellow, will have to overwinter them to see the flowers next year. If you can find cuttings, they root like weeds.

Susan

Guilty as charged! I mispelled Brugmansia. Gotta quit doing that Plumeria can only be rooted in spring. I have a cutting that has produced small foliage but no roots because I took it too late, but it will root when spring comes again. Has anyone tried the dwarf Plumeria (Singapore Pink, Singapore White, and Singapore deciduous)? I have the first two and they stay so small and compact (easy to grow in a GH) as they don't go dormant like other Plumeria. They are slow growing, thus cuttings of them are expensive, but bloom when very small.

Hey, Bob!

I know this thread is old, but I had to giggle when I read it again. You see, I not only spell brugmansia wrong, I pronounce it like I mispell it. After all, they are brugs!

You see, my school is one mile from the nursery with the Allamanda 'Chocolate Cherry'. For some reason, I decided to stop by and take a look around. In about 30 seconds, I spotted it. The plant is huge and covered with blooms.

Once again, I asked if he had any for sale. He said no, not yet. And again, I asked if I could by a cutting. He said that he had some cuttings that were rooting and would be ready in 3 to 5 weeks. So, I said, "OH! I can take care of it until it finishes rooting. Would you sale me one now?"

Well, about 5 minutes later, I was the proud owner of 3 cuttings which were, by the way, well rooted and showing new growth.

I am soooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread