+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rooting hormone strength

Rooting hormone strength

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Olivia's rooting gel. I bought it from HomeHarvest. They listed it as their favorite. However, I've recently read that stronger rooting solutions should be used for evergreens in late summer/fall. I can see were something like Dip and Grow can be an advantage due to the ability to make different strenghts. I just don't want to stick a couple thousand cuttings over the next couple of weeks and find out Olivia's is not strong enough for the evergreens.
    Any thoughts?

no exp with olivia
    i use dip and grow or woods
    those 2 are equal.
    woods made D&G
    that is the short story.
    go online and do a comparisen of ingred...
    if they compare use it!!!!
    shepp zoned out gettin ready for the weekend.
    gonna relaxxxxx for more than 5 minutes.

P S

dont make rooting cuttings harder than it is ,
    because its not.
    take your time learn from your successes and failures ...
    above all be observant.
    that will be your best teacher.

observation.
    wind, water ,medium , turgidity of cutting. heat ,
    amount of mist . + - too much can kill.too little can
    pay attention ,,,,, be willing to adjust .
    you will do just fine.....
    Last edited by shepp; 08-27-2003 at 07:02 PM.

I use Hormodin powder. It has three strengths. #1 is .1% active ingredient and is used for soft/herbacious cuttings. #2 is .3% active ingredient and is used for softwood cuttings. #3 is .8% active ingredient and is used for hardwood and hard to root cuttings. Different plants have different requirements as well as different optimal times to take cuttings. Use of bottom heat helps also. I've heard that willow water (willow branches and leaved crushed and allowed to set in water) is very effective on rooting as well. The #2 Hormodin I find is the best all around rooting hormone to have. Hope this helps

Bob Beyer, Houston, TX

rooting gel

I trialed another gel (Rootech) last year, and was pleased with what seemed to be better rooting compared with powders...on clematis specifically.

This year I only used the gel, but noticed significant differences due to (1) earlier stuck cuttings rooted faster, and (2) a single wound seemed to initiate roots faster than unwounded.

I'm still going to play around with the wounding next year, coz these cuttings don't seem to actually root from the wound, but I suspect that more rooting compounds are absorbed from the wound area, in addition to the cut end, and that's what maybe promoted the quicker and more extensive rooting.

So my conclusion this year is it probably wasn't a significant difference between powder and gel. I will say I'm real happy with presoaking with willow water, that does seem to work well.

I actually tried dipping quickly in the gel, compared to really glomming on lots, on different cuttings in the same tray. If anything, it seemed the extra gel resulted in less rooting, certainly not more. I may try just willow water on some next year, and compare it to the commercial hormones...maybe this gel is an unnecessary step/expense...

Every plant will act different tho...and evergreens done now typically need more hormones. I found the bottom heat really got em rooting later into fall/winter, more helpful than most factors in my experience. Even in summer, I find the bottom heat makes a big difference in what roots quickly, and what takes it's sweet time, but this may be related to my cool climate here...nights go down to the mid 50's in my prop area, so the bottom heat kicks in and warms up their bottoms noticeably right thru the summer here.

Good luck, keep asking questions there's lots of people here learning right along with ya and we all pick up things from each other no matter how long we've been at this!

Glen in BC

willow water

Glen, give me a detailed insruction on willow water. What do I do with water. I suppose I let the cutting soak in the water before I use the hormone.

So do I let the cuttings soak for a while and how long. Do I use hormone afterwards.

I initially thiught willow water was a joke until you agreed. George.

using willow water

George-I make up a bucket of fresh willow water each time I'm doing a batch of cuttings (it probably doesn't last more than a few days, like any hormones unless you can fit it in the fridge!).

To soak the cuttings, I have to be creative...pour the willow water into a big rubbermaid container, then place a web tray in the bottom to kinda hold the cuttings upright, then stick the cutting stems into my web tray so the cut ends are well into the water. In your business, you've probably already got a system for soaking your taxus and other cuttings, so go with that.

My idea has been to keep them soaking for about 24 hrs to draw in the willow goodies, then take them out and dip in commercial hormone and stick right away.

I have run into a snag with using gel this way, coz the soaked in willlow cuttings are wet, and the gel doesn't seem to want to stick...probably the powder hormone would work best actually. I'll experiment more next spring.

I won't be surprised if the willow water works by itself just as well as commercial hormone, but have to do some comparisons to find out.

Glen in BC

Attn GLEN in B.C

Glen, the property lines are divided by these Willow trees. I hoped to get rid of them but slowly. An invironmently thing.

Now if Willow tree (magic) water works then the Willows will stay a lot longer.

Glen in order to make it is it like TEA. Just add willow leaves and BOIL them, drain leaves and PRESTO.

George.

making willow water

George=

Ann posted a link to a good recipe, etc., Texas Rose Rustlers I think.

You want to remove most/all leaves, I think, just use real short bits of stem, and maybe hammer them a bit to get the good stuff out. Younger stem should have more rooting magic than older, and easier to cut up ( I use the secateurs and cut em and inch or so long ).

One willow tree should give you all the stems you'll ever need.

Glen in BC

+ Reply to Thread