+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mist bed set-up

Mist bed set-up

I just completed setting up my mist bed and wanted to share a few hurdles that I came across. Hopefully this will help someone who has yet to set a bed up.
    1. Sand. At first I couldn't find a course blend. Then at a gravel yard (Southern NJ) I found what is called Grit Sand. Its coarse with little stones in it. It seems to drain very well.
    2. I didn't know how much sand to get. I built a 4' by 8' raised bed out of 2" by 10"s. I found out that it took 1.6 tons of sand to fill the bed to the top.
    3. Ordered all of my parts from one place, http://www.mortonproducts.com/
    Timer: Intermatic Cycle - C8815 15 minute timer
    Transformer: the only one they had $19.00
    Orbit 57200 1" Solenoid Valve
    The only thing I couldn't find on their site was the "dramm sticks"
    So I called and they were very helpful. I got Mist heads that are listed on their site: Mist Sprayer-327122-CR
    And then they sent mister assemblies (36" steel poles with the tubes and fitting for where the mister heads screw in. These were $3 each for the whole assembly.
    I already had 1 inch PVC laying around which finished the system up.
    4. Wiring the Intermatic was tricky with the lame diagram on the timer door. The transformer also comes with no directions. But Shepp bailed me out (See Shepp's post with picture)
    5. The only other issue I had was that at first the mister was just spitting water, not misting. I noticed a little leakage around the mister head. I then unscrewed the mister head and put teflon tape on the ribs, wahlah mist.
    6. The mister assemblies came with tubing that have little hard plastic "T" looking ends. I took the ends off and inserted the tubes straight into holes that I drilled in my 1" PVC manifold. I emailed Mortons to see if there were some kind of female assemblies that can be stuck on my PVC manifold so these would stick into the manifold tighter. I'm getting some leakage out of these holes, so for now I duct taped them and I plan on using a little silicone to slow the leak. I have well water and Iam trying to have my well pump go off as little as possible (especially if the misters are going of all day) My holding tank for my well pump is not that big so my pump goes off alot.
    The only thing left to do is assemble a 2 by 4 frame so I can hang some shade cloth. I'll be sticking cuttings tomrrow.
    Ann thanks again for this site, It would of taken me much longer to set-up the bed without it.

2. What color nozzles are you using and how are they working for you? I can't decide between the red, black, and whites.
    Thanx,
    Jennifer

They are red. They seem to be doing fine. I put up shade cloth and with a little breeze, the mist drifts slightly but all of the cuttings are getting wet. I guess only time will tell if they are the best ones to use.

I too have order all my parts from mortons I use the red mist heads that just screw into 1/2 female threads my up rights are 1/2 pvc pipe painted black . Be sure to buy a filter to hook in your line before your seloniod valve and have a GFI receptacle also.Oh don't forget a drain line for this winter.
    Gene

Gene, thanks for the recommendations.
    I found out from a electrician friend of mine about GFI breakers. The GFI outside outlets seem to be tempermental and usually need to be replaced every 5-7yrs. So my whole run is protected by the GFI breaker (they cost around $30) but then you can use regular outlets on the whole run. What kind of filter do you have? Iam sure those mist heads can clog easily. Thanks

I got my filter from mortons it fits on 3/4 inch pipe its listed for $14.95 . I don't know the screen size tho. At the bottom of the housing is a valve you can flush your filter out ,and you can hook a short water hose to the bottom to catch the waste water from cleaning the filter. You can also unscrew the canister and pull out the screen and inspecked it .This one is made out of stainless steel wire instead of plastic also.I'm sure Home Depo or Lowes has them. Have fun with your mist system.
    Gene

Thanks Gene, I just ordered the 1" filter from Morton's

+ Reply to Thread