+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Red Hot Poker

Question Red Hot Poker

I had a BIG clump of Red Hot Pokers in my daylilies and I dug them up. Then i just covered the roots up w/ some soil.I have a few people that want some of the fans of them but i have never shipped any and don't really know if they ship good or not can i ship them like i do daylilies? Bare root. I don't know how much to charge for S&H and I don't know the folks that want them so I don't kow if i can trust them to send the money after I ship them. Or should I just go ahead and throw them in the compost. Can someone help me out?
    John S. Wagner
    (wagsworld)
    <><
    http://wagsworlddaylilies.com
    As for me and my mouse we will serve the Lord.

Blog Entries

Wag,

Try this link: http://postcalc.usps.gov/
    That ought to get you in the ballpark at least: it's what I use and unless I really cram stuff in the box it's usually pretty close.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Mailing plants

Wag,
    I don't know about 'trusting' people to send you your postage but, I like to think most people are honest. If not then they are committing fraud.
    You can get FREE priority mail supplies from the post office. Boxes, tubes, tape, envelopes and labels. All you need to do is ask. Shipping priority gets it there in max. 3 days. Shipping instate should take 1 day. Make sure you label the package as fragile: live bareroot plants. I'm a generous trader, sent a box with 14 plants and the postage was $5.20. Which I thought was reasonable. Don't bother with insurance, because the post office will not honor it for plants. It is more economical to ship larger trades than single or small amounts.

Either dig the plant the day before you ship it and soak the roots in water overnight,or leave it in the soil until you are ready to pack it, but thoroughly soak the soil around it the day before.

Dig the plant up getting as many roots as possible (very important). Cut the growth back to reasonable amount making sure to leave adaquate foliage(not always necessary). Shake off as much soil as possible, rinse the roots. Wrap the roots in moist paper towels, (not dripping) wrap in plastic wrap, or baggie. Just the roots, no foliage. Put the roots and the damp paper towel (but not the leaves) into a plastic bag and wrap the bag snugly around the stems with a bag tie, to seal the water in. Be careful not to crush the stems!
    Then wrap all in newspaper (tube like) to protect the foliage.
    Stuff any excess with crumpled newspaper or bubble wrap, etc.
    so the plants do not rattle around. Make sure and use water
    proof labels to identify the plants. I enclose in a ziploc baggie,
    plant culture and care directions.
    Keep the package cool until you mail it. Don't let it sit in the sun in your car! It's a good idea to notify the recipient once you've mailed the package, and ask them to let you know if it arrived safely, and the condition of the plants.
    It's always a good idea to make sure you are on the same wavelength as your trading partner, what you are sending how much, etc.
    That's all I can think of for now. Anymore questions, let me know.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Thanks! i figured i could ship them like i do daylilies. Now if i can just find the time to do it LOL
    John S. Wagner
    (wagsworld)
    <><

Wags, How do you ship daylilies. I've got some to mail and I need to know the best way.
    Thanks for any advice.
    I don't Think I'll Make the auction, especially if the prices are anything like those beautiful ones someone posted on the daylily forum. Boy they are georgeous though.
    tennessee sue

I dig them the day before shipping and take the water house on full blast and wash the roots. then i trim the foliage back (i don't do root some do) then I wrap them in newspaper and package them up leaving the box in the house over night and taking then to the PO the next day shipping Priority Mail. I do go to the USPS websit and preprint the shipping form there.

As with the clubs auction. Last yr most of the plants went half eureka Avg. I have a partial list of some that's suposed to be there.

Ciel Dior, Tropical Reflection, Admiral's Braid, Flamingo Road, In Depth, Inherited Wealth, Early Honor, Masked Phantom, Joe Marinallo, Mt Delight, Hawaiin Nights, Alaqua, Painted Rose, Rouge & Lace, Sherry Lane Carr, Spiritual Guide, Joy & Laughter, great Expression, Daughter Of Destiny, Dee Dee's Baby, Showmanship, Waiting For Peace, Seaswept Dreams, Allegheny Sunset, America's Most Wanted, Alien Encounter, Orion Sky, Golden Compass, Ruffled Fury, and Jamacian Midnight. these are all ones the club bought and members grew for two yrs now. Plus what ever other plants members bring in. All procedes go to our club to help pay for next yrs Region 10 meeting we are holding.
    John S. Wagner
    (wagsworld)
    <><

Blog Entries

Plants for Postage

Mornin' All,

I've been giving away plants for the cost to ship for a number of years and have not had a problem with anyone not paying.

The premise is simple, when the postage is paid the plants are sent. I have to guesstimat how much it will be and then keep a rein on my generousity and not over-pack, which is very hard for me to do!

There have been times when beginning gardens just din't have the money, even for postage or something came up that set them back; in these cases then still get the plants and reimburse me when they are able. No one has failed to do so, ever.

Gardeners are an honest and trustworthy group.

Rebecca

I'll add an Amen to that, Rebecca. All the years I've sold plants I've never (knock on wood) had a bad check given to me.
    We're an honest bunch, us plant addicts.
    tennessee sue

Hi,
    We've been in the firewood business for 18 yrs. and only 1 time did we receive a 'bad' check. The people did make good on it 3 days later. So don't know if that qualifies or not! We don't deliver and bill though. It's a strictly cash on delivery biz. Maybe it's because people would hate to be cold next winter! But I like to think most people are honest. We've also accepted post-dated checks, and was that was fine, too.
    So Sue, I'm knocking on wood, too!

I also love to share my plants with people. Was pleasantly surprised last yr. when one (the Mr & Mrs.) of our long time customers, came over with a trunk load of plants for me. Their yard is all flowers and my husband had mentioned that I'd talked about our yard someday being like theirs. They stopped over last fall and I gave them a clump of really pretty bright orange daylillies. (Don't know the name) Each scape gets between 20-30 buds on them. They seem to me to flower for a long time.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Wag,

Have you gotton rid of all the red hot poker plants? I'd be glad to pay for any you have left.

Jodie

+ Reply to Thread