+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Christmas in May!

Christmas in May!

I just had to share this experiience with you all!
    I have been quite busy this past week bidding on some perennials, mostly daylilies and iris on Ebay. Talk about getting carried away! But that is beside the pojnt...tee hee.
    ANYWAY, I also purchased several daylilies from Rebecca at her plant "Yard Sale" (No, I am not advertising for Rebecca, I just wanted to make a point here and I WILL get to it in a minute, I promise!) After a long day, I had forgotten to check my mailbox for any plants that might have been delivered until 1:30 am last night and HAD to get dressed again and go check. (you know how that goes, I was so EXCITED) I had 5 boxes! Three of the boxes had come from Nurseries selling online only.
    I have never seen such sick looking, teeny plants in my life! All of the plants in All of the boxes were packaged the same way, bare root , washed and wrapped in paper. The Daylilies I got from everyone else were no larger in diameter than 3/4" in that. The Foxglove leaves were all about 6 inches tall yes, but covered in brown rotty spots, most of them mashed and broken off, in fact all of the plant leaves in everyone else's boxes were damaged just from being packaged and smashed while they were wrapped.
    THEN I opened Rebecca's box! What a difference! You could tell these plants came from a loving gardener! Every single leave was healthy, not a single rotted or damaged root and some of the fans were as large as 3 1/2" in diameter (Kwanso)
    Personally, I think it is WAY to easy for a business or anyone starting up a nursery to forget that the quality of the plants they are sending out, speaks volumes about the care they put into the entire process of digging, wrapping, and packing up the boxes, not to mention the health of the merchandise they are sending out! Once again, getting in a hurry to make that money!
    Oh yeah, I will leave these others positive feedback at Ebay because I DID get the packages very promptly, they were nice to deal with, and I guess I got what they advertised, minus the health of the plants and the condition of it after they packed it.
    BUT I won't be getting anything from them again!
    The whole point I wanted to make here, was that I wish more people selling plants on Ebay or anywhere else had as much dedication as Rebecca has for sending out only the same quality merchandise as they would have liked to have received as well!
    This has certainly been a case for me of a HUGE difference in the quality of what I received from larger businesses more concerned about money as opposed to one dedicated and loving gardener!
    Hope you don't mind me mentioning this on here, but knowing that we have many on here that do sell their products, I just wanted to bring this up, and remind them that VALUE is not always just about the price someone pays for something. For me and many horticultural enthusiasts, QUALITY will make or break your reputation!
    Becki
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

Blog Entries

Geeze Becki, ya gonna have me blushing!

I am glad you appreciated the quality of the plants I sent! But what I'm really dying to know is did you like the 'Surprise" plant?

It may not bloom until next year as it is somewhat slow to establish, but then it will take off, multiply rapidy and bloom it's fool self silly!

Gots to run back to work, but will be back on-line this evening - after I get some gardening chores done!

Rebecca

plant packing

Becki:

A lot of the big nurseries have people that work for them that sometime I think their American citizenship might be in question and some of them do not speak or understand the English language. They just want to put in their 8 hours and go to the house! They don't seem to have any pride in their work like some of the individuals we are in contact with. Something to think about!
    Dr. Jim Rhodes
    Zone 8
    SE Texas

DUH!

Gee Jim, I never even thought of THAT!
    After reading this post of yours, I went back and emailed each a friendly, short note with the FACTS (condition of the plants and packing). I also mentioned that I would STILL be leaving them positive feedback, because there were some plants that were in good condition and healthy and I DID get them all very quickly!. After all, I don't want them to think I am trying to be difficult! tee hee..
    By the way Jim, you aren't by any chance originally from Ohio are you? I graduated with a Jim Rhodes. THAT would be SOME coincidence, huh?..lol.
    Thanks for the tip!
    Becki
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

Ohio

Becki:

As far as I know, I have never been in Ohio. I do understand that there is a Cleveland, Ohio. I am wondering if it is about the same size as Cleveland, Texas (7,000).

Sure wish it was as cool here as it probably is in Ohio -- My thermometer registers @ 102 degrees even though the weather guesser says only 94-96. It is also awfully dry for a change but we are officially now in the hurricane season (June 1 -Oct 31) so we will probably get some rain. Don't need the wind tho.
    Dr. Jim Rhodes
    Zone 8
    SE Texas

How Wonderful!

I do enjoy it when Landspro members exchange and sell their plants. There is nothing like the tender loving care that goes into growing our favorites!

So, please feel free to sell and exchange on Landspro, as long as it is all in FUN...

And I have never discouraged links, as long as they are appropriate, of course!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread