+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Daylilly sprouts

Rebecca,
    I'm a little confused as their are so many different looking "named" daylillies. What about ones that are single color are they named? I supposed to have 10 named ones and only can find pics of the hyperion and halls pink. Can they be named and not registered? What are the fancy roundish looking ones called?
    Maybe I should really be asking for links with basic crash course for learning about daylillies!?
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries

Vicki,

I understand your confusion! There are between 40 and 50 thousand named and registered Daylilies. To add to that there is an unknown number of non-registered, yet named daylilies that are only available in local areas. To add insult to injury, there are those that are simple mis-labeld and those that commercial growers and sellers have re-named with their own choosen name (generally to tie in with some marketing ploy)!

"Fancy Roundish" looking ones are most often called 'hybridizers daylilies'; they are only the more modern of the hybrids. If all the petals curve backwards, they are called 'bagels', because they look like the pastry in shape.

Time for some links!

http://members.tripod.com/daylily6/Learning.html

That one link has links to all kinds of good stuff to read and learn from. Some is very technical stuff, others are the day to day things. The Daylily Dictionary' link is very good and it can take you to the home page for the American Hemerocallis Society and even more links to information, sources, ect.

Have fun!

Rebecca

Blog Entries

Kwanso Kwestion

A Kwanso Kwestion.....I read that they are Mid-Late and that one idea is to plant them amongst Native Lilies(Ditch) to 'extend' the bloom time of that bed. I am wondering just how much longer the Kwanso will put on a show. My Natives were here and gone in 3 weeks in July...how much longer could I expect Kwanso to bloom ?
    Thanks !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries

Cathy,

Going by the date on the first photo in my DL album, the FFO on any of my Kwanso plants was July 3rd. Most likely this was a clump on the South side of the house and they are now finished. The long bed on the North-East side of the house still has a good many buds left to open, perhaps another weeks worth.

You have to remember, I have a lot of Kwanso planted, so the more plants and the larger the clumps the longer the bloom period will be. Exposure plays an important part as well. The ones getting full sun all day long mature their buds and open more blooms at one time, those that get only early morning and late faternoon sun take a bit longer to mature their buds, there are slightly fewer open at one time and there are a lot more there than on the other side of my house. I might add that the blooms are bigger and have more highly saturated colors on the shady side of the house. They also get more rain fall and I don't suppliment the plantings I have of Kwanso. Seems the more water they have the faster they grow and the sooner they start roaming throughout the entire garden. Are you really sure you want to mix these two? Kwans is a very robust grower and will 'travel' great didtances to get to prime garden spots, and they don't go around anything - they go under or through! I've even heard that they will grow under concrete sidwalks. Believe me, they are big enough plants to go just about anywhere they want!

Rebecca

Photo Question

Question for Rebecca, How do you produce the border fading on the pictures you post?

Blog Entries
    Excellent Point about the judicious location of daylilies and the ability to manipulate bloom time !
    I don't know if you've had first hand experience with all 3 of these but I'm wondering, in regards to length of bloom time, what order you would put these in from longest to shortest bloom time and what you might have actually experienced. They are Swamp Yankee, Stella and Isaiah.
    Thanks,Cathy
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries

Bob,

The program I use for that litte treatment is 'MicroSoft Picture It! Express 2001', I rthink it came pre-loaded on this computer as I don't recall buying it seperately.

If you do a searh for Photo Editing Programs you may be able to find a source for it or another program that also has this feature. Not all of them have it. It is a neat little gimmic!

Rebecca

Hi Everyone,
    Tom, I don't think your "CIRCUS CLOWN" is correctly identified. This is the registered decription of it. CIRCUS CLOWN (HALL DF 1966) 34" EM 7" DOR DIP Pale peach with rose and a tangerine throat

Rebecca, is there a chance that it might be FRANS HALS? FRANS HALS (FLORY 1955) 24" ML DOR DIP Bright rust & orange bicolor w midribs. Gotta love the bicolors! By the way, I know that you don't need my confirmation about FLORE PLENO, because you are right ;o), but so many folks get it confused with KWANSO. General rule is that F.P is the organised one with the layered look or called hose in hose. Kwanso has the unkempt looking blooms Also F.P has more petals than Kwanso. Many daylily books even picture them wrong. The Encyclopedia of Daylilies has it right.

Bruce In South Georgia

Blog Entries

Hi Bruce,

Gald you could join us. Have you checked out our newly created Daylily Forum? We could use your expertise!

You're right about Kwanso, I have a mess of em! But I found a nice stand of FP on the empty lot behind me and it is georgeous! Tried getting it to set seed on Chicago Sunrise this season, but it just wouldn't take. You know me, I'll keep trying and eventually I might get it to set a pod. I think the rains ruined a lot of the crosses I did attempt, so will try again next year and save the pollen so I have it whenever CS has a bloom open and FP doesn't have usable pollen.

Kwans is a messy one, but it has it's own charm; of course, I do have sentimental attachments to the clone I have since it had belonged to my Grandmother.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries

Bruce,

About Tom's bi-color - had to go back and check the posts - You may be right, it could very well be Frans Hal and "Circus Clown" was a garden name given to it by the original owner.''I have several Frans Hall seedlings from seeds sent to me from a friend in Hollad. The pollen parent was one called "Red Precious", but I don't recall if that is it's registered name or a garden name. The seedlings are growing very well, some have even increased to three fans already and they are just 10 inch seedlings, growing in pots no less! I am hoping for early bloom next season. Anxious to see how they turn out!

Rebecca

Frans Hal

Hi Bruce & All,
    First Welcome Bruce! Glad you could join us.
    I think you are correct about the Frans Hal. I too have this daylily and was told it was called Linda. But Linda is a spider lily with marking very similar to the Frans Hal. I have Tons of this daylily and they bloom and bloom. Also set lots of seed pods.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Ann, shouldn't this topic go under the new Daylily Forum?

Yes, but that's my fault for simply copying the threads to the new daylily forum. I had a reason for doing that, and all seems well.

So, I will move this one, then remove the duplicates some time this weekend.

Thanks, Bob, for reminding me!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2