+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Daylilly sprouts

Daylilly sprouts

OK, here we go again. I know this must have been discussed before, but I don't find anything specificly pointed at my question. Below is a picture of the old stems of the daylilly flowers. There are new little plants comming out of the leaf axle on some of them, and I would like to know how to make new plants out of them. One or two of them appear to be sending out little roots.

If you say cut them, my question will be cut them where. If you say plant them, I will ask where. Some of the stems have already died, and the new little plants with them. If I can make new plants with these I need to do it like - right away!

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tom; 08-06-2003 at 02:42 PM.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Wow! Tom!

You have lots of proliferations!

Although I have read and studied about how to do this, I have never done it because none of my daylilies have ever produced proliferations...

So, I will let our Daylily experts tell you about their techniques....

Good Luck and Way to GO!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    OOOO, a chance to provide first hand knowledge ; I'm usually the one full o'questions. Also, as you may recall I couldn't even figure out where a 'prolif'(that's the 'in the know' lingo for it ]was.
    But all that has changed. OK, there is no doubt that you've got prolifs. They are big and healthy and they are gonna grow some big 'ol healthy daylilies true to the parent ! Here's what you need to do now. Cut the scape about 2 inches below the prolif and cut off the extra scape about 1 inch above the prolif. Place the prolif in potting soil, lay the scape horizontally that should position the prolif vertically, and water lightly. That is it ! I'm telling you they will take off like rockets and just treat them like , well, daylilies. Congratulations on the new additions to the daylily collection!!!!!
    I could also give you a link regarding handling of prolifs but you've got mega prolifs and they really don't need much special attention. Here is the link anyway:
    http://www.daylilies.org/ahs_diction...n_article.html
    For folks without such obvious growth, look for bracts(tiny leaves along the scape). Gently pull back the bract(leaf) and see if there is some hint of growth-it will be very obvious if it's there even if it is tiny. Not all bracts have prolifs. Also, look for swelling under a bract that might indicate an eye that could sprout a prolif--you can cut the scape around it and stick it in potting soil, too. I wouldn't count on seeing prolifs on Native Daylilies(orange ditch lilies). I found mine on a 'rescue' lily that had a bicolor flower(who knows what it is but it taught me what the heck a prolif was). I also found a nubin of prolif on a Sea Gold Daylily.
    Happy Prolif Hunting !!!
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 08-06-2003 at 07:00 PM.

I like it!

Thanks, those are some good, straight forward instructions!
    There are also some very small proliferations up near where the flowers were. Right on the little stems that would have held the seed pods. This plant did not produce the first seed, but it's broken out in proliferations, and has produced several new plants under ground.

Here is a picture of the mama plant:
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Proliferations

The parent flower looks like the the triple form of Kwanso. The plants it is sending up are called increase fans. If you need more information on daylilies please check out the American Hemerocallis Society's website at www.daylilies.org
    Attached Images  
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

What a pretty Moma, Tom. Do you know her name? I have this lily and I think it is so pretty. Need to know what to call her.
    tennessee sue

Thanks. We must have been typing at the same time. I wondered if it was Kwanso.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries

Tom,

What you have is NOT 'Kwanso', but its' cousin from China, "Flore Pleno', which is also a varient of Hem. fluva. It, along with 'Kwanso' is a triploid and as such pod infertile and only occasionally pollen fertile. They do not produce female gamates so no seeds or ovums are ever present. In fact, one rarely, if ever, finds anything other than a deformed pistol/style.

The biggest difference between the two ssp is the arrangement of the petals; in "Flore Pleno' they are very organized, each row setting neatly inside the other and properly called the hose in hose effect. 'Kwanso', on the other hand is very haphazzard with petals going every which way, some twist, some turn, I've even seen some that are pinched and quilles. Very flamboyant.

Growth habit is similar to bloom habit with them both; FP tends to remain in a nice, thght clump with out too much roaming, whereas 'Kwanso' will spread itself far and wide by producing underground runners or rhyzomes. It will even travel under concrete and asphault to get to the other side if there is no where else for it to go!

Contrary to popular belief, they also produce proliferations. Where on the scape depends only on where there are bracts, FP does produce some at the top of the scape, near flower buds, but also farther down the scape.

I would like to add this about proliferations; leave them on the plant for as long as possible. The ones you pictured were at the perfect stage to remove and either pot up or plant out on their own. I have found they do much better when allowed to stay on the scape until it begins to turn brown and die back. If left to their own devises, these scapes would be bent over by hard rains and or strong winds placing the proliferation in contact with the soil where it would, very qiuckly, strike roots. By the next spring it would be a seperate plant and may have increased to two or even several fans.

'Flore Pleno' is a very nice species to grow as an accent plant; a large, well grown clump is a breath-taking sight!

Dazed - Great instructions! Couldn't have said it any better myself!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  

Thanks Rebecca

You are correct on the size of this one. When it was in full bloom it was at least 5' tall. I normally put my hand in the picture to give some indication of the size of the flower, but didn't this time. The flowers are very large. A lady down the road gave this one to me and it took two years to get it to flower.

I know very little about daylilies, but then I don't have to as long as I've got Landspro and all you experts to advise me. I really like them a lot, but I only have a few different ones. I'm one of these folks that will plant hundreds of the same plant in a mass. I don't have enough of this one to do that with yet, but at this rate I soon will have.

One of my favorites is one someone called 'Circus Clown', that has hundreds of seeds on it that are just about ready to harvest. I was thinking of trying to start a few, and will share with anyone who want some (if I can figure out how to package them for mailing).

Here is that one:
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

mailing seeds

Tom, if you can find some little plastic bags the zip up, put seeds in the bag, label the bag as to what the seeds are and pod parent and place in a padded envelope and mail. Seeds will survive the trip thru the mail in the padded envelope. I have received seeds from an auction that were mailed that way and they surived just fine.
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

Blog Entries

Tom,

If you would like to try growing daylilies from seed let me send you some seeds from my hybridized stock.. The resultant plants would be much better that the plants you would get from open pollinated seeds and you'd have a much better chance of getting something really nice out of them.

The seed from your "Circus Clown" will not come true to the parent palnt and, in most cases, would be inferior to the parent.

PM me and let me know if you are interested. I expect to harvest around two thousand seeds this fall and I won't have space to grow them all anyway!

Rebecca

Tom,

I remember your posting that picture before. It is so very different and unique from any of my daylilies, and I LIKE IT!!!!

I would love to have some seed if there are any left to spare. You know I will do my best to grow them, and judging from the size of my seedlings started last year about this time, I don't think it is going to take more than 2 years for them to be blooming size. I think these will bloom next spring or summer. We'll see...

Thanks, so much, and I love the name 'Circus Clown'!

How FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

P.S.

My double orange is not nearly as well defined as yours, and the blossom is about the size of the palm of my hand. It also grows tall if given just a little shade, but not quite 5', more like 4' and perhaps 3' in full sun.

Keep us posted on our your proliferations do...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Hi All,
    I was very pleased today to see I also have the 'Flore Pleno'!
    I received them from my Mom-in-law last fall. Six clumps of them!
    They sure are beautiful.

I had a daylily given to me as 'Linda', every other petal is ruffled light rust (yellow stripe down the middle) and solid smooth yellow. Looks ALOT like Tom's 'circus clown' but not as bright. trumpet shaped blooms, not round. Did searches for pictures, there sure is alot of them! One site had 600 pictures of named daylillies. It was purchased from Michigan Bulb Co. about 7 yrs. ago. Sure wish I had a digital camera!

I'm going to search to see if I can find pics of the other 'named' daylillies I also received.
    Last edited by vicki; 08-11-2003 at 09:35 PM.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries

Vicki,

If you really want to see photos of named, registered daylilies check out this Canadian site, it is in French, but still easy to navigate! I use it a lot! http://kricri.com/ You will find more than 8.300 photos there, all arranged in alphbetical order. It is mind boggling!

Rebecca

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast