+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Top Sellers 2003?

Top Sellers 2003?

fHi,
    Was wondering what your top sellers were this year? Hope everyone is having a great year.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Hi Vicki,
    One of our best sellers has been Pieris Japonica-variegated. It is pretty all year.
    All herbs have sold very well. Basal is probably top seller.
    Perennials change as the weather does.Have sold a lot of ferns and liatris has done very well also.
    What has been yours?
    tennessee sue

hot sellers

Hi Vicki and all=

I was just thinking about the challenge of predicting ahead of time what will sell well in future seasons, sure would help to have some of those psychic abilities. Takes a while to bulk up your production, and meanwhile so are many other growers!

An example here was purple leaved phormiums, very popular last few seasons and a great money maker this year. I just happened to have lots of nice sized ones for sale when everyone wanted them this year.

However, it's getting obvious that many other nurseries are bringing in large quantities of young plants, see them everywhere right now. The consensus is getting to be, get ready for a glut of these in a year or two.

Other thought is, try to branch out into other varieties of the same plant (for this one there are tons of more fancy leaved forms, that are still very hard to get around here). So, the plan is to start propagating some of these other varieties of phormium, and keep the common ones at about the same level of production, no more for now.

In the few years I've been doing this, it's obvious that things are never ever static with plants, gotta keep eyes and ears open, always talk with anyone in the industry that has time to chat.

Being a small grower has the advantage I'm finding that you can move in and out of plants a bit easier than the huge growers. And always thinking, "niche"...gotta find something others haven't thought of or discovered just yet, orwhatever that a retailer could benefit from having...

I'm sure the plants are quite different everywhere you go, but the dynamic market is probably universal...

Glen in BC

Glen
    Aren't Phormiums zone 8 or 9. What zone are you in in Canada?Jusr thought you would be in a lower zone.
    tennessee sue

zones

Sue-I'm really in zone 7, tho lots of 8 nearby.

With unusually mild winters the last several years, there is a problem with us taking it for granted. I'm sure a lot of phormiums and other "exotics" will get weeded out in a winter coming soon!

Making a few bucks growing and selling them in the meantime...

Glen in BC

Thanks Glen. I'm in zone 6b so I guess I can't grow them although some zone 7 plants do well here if mulched and as you say a mild winter. Guess I'd better stick with things I know will live . They are beautiful plants.
    tennessee sue

Best Sellers

gotta be Red Japanese maples ,
    followed by cotinus coggygria "purple smoke bush,
    Dwf korean lilac, hakura nishiki willow.any blooming perennials.
    ornamental grasses didnt do do as well as i would have liked.
    such as deschampsia, sedges and carex's.
    some days you just dont know whats gonna sell and what you will haul back home! sometimes even the bloomin perennials.
    a new flowering shrub i took today was hydrangea nikko blue.
    sold 2 out of 3. sheppzone 5/6

best sellers-retail or wholesale?

Shepp's selections remind me of the difference in choosing retail or wholesale plants...

For retail, you certainly want to be growing the "perennial" favorites, like jap. maples. Homeowners will always be attracted to things like that...cotinus is another one. Just catches the eye, esp. in spring when everyone is doing their plant buying.

A big, established grower warned me a while back about plants like those maples, tho, for growing wholesale coz so many places are pumping them out around my way. That means a tough sell trying to get the retailers to buy from me, a new guy on the block, and relatively mediocre price to boot. So for me doing only wholesale, I have to be maybe more choosy, avoiding high volume plants that are also being produced locally in high volumes.

My solution has been to severely limit the range of plants I'm concentrating on, to only grow large numbers of hellebores, evergreen clematis and phormium at the moment. At this precise moment, these are in good demand and rather limited supply...but always watching for any change in this. Thus the comment about lots of little phormiums showing up this summer...warning flag for me!

Gonna start a new thread about the cotinus, Shepp. That's one that has always intrigued me...and the good prices don't hurt any on this plant...

Glen in BC

+ Reply to Thread