+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Portraits From My Garden

Blog Entries

I have to admit, that first view is a bit too 'blue', I have a problem getting purples to photograph right!

This is an different bloom, as seen from the side.
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries

FLOWERING 'ONIONS'

Today I would like to show y'all a couple of photos on one of my favorite flowering onions, Allium schubertii. This one is growing inthe back yard in a small corner bed I planted on the north end of the neighboring patio. There were two of these plantd, but something has happened to the other bulb. It could have rotted or a squirrel might have gotten it. This one never fails to be impressive, even though it doesn't get as tall as it should.

Enjoy!

Those are blooms on what was sent to me as 'Lavender Ice' miniature rose, growing off to the side of the Allium.

Here is a close-up of the Allium blooms:

If you look closely, you can almost see a bloom on one of the many Pink flowering Cransbills that have managed to plant themselves everywhere!

Another odd flower I have is called a 'Plume' Hyacinth; this is the first year I have had any bloom on the several bulbs that were planted as many years ago. They have blasted before or just not come up!

Thank you for letting me share my Garden Plants with you!

Rebecca

What Joy!

Rebecca!

I am surely enjoying coming inside from a long day in this heat and seeing pictures of your lovely gardens!

We finally received a little more rain, a LOT of lightning and quite a bit of wind. I still haven't manage to pick up all the pecan branches that fell last night.

It looks like more rain is on the way. I know that my landscape will enjoy that!

Thanks, and I know that I speak for everyone when I say that your pictures and your gardens are absolutely gorgeous!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

New Web Page

Thought I would let y'all know I am working on a new web page (or two) at my daylily site that will have photos of my better garden plant photos. A lot you've seen here, some were here but have been moved to the site or back to the photo hosting site.

I created a good part of the page this morning byt now muct return to my photo files to chose the remaining photos needed for page one and do a little editing on them before they are ready to be posted on the site.

I believe the url for my daylily site is posted on my profile, if it is not and anyone is interested in seing it, PM me and I'll edit my profile so it is listed.

I have a couple of daylily seedling that will be blooming very soon and I am just hoping they don't bite me when I go into the seedling bed to take their photos!

All for now,

Rebecca

What a THRILL!

Rebecca,

Your web site if wonderful!

That creamed colored one with purple ring in the throat looks an awful lot like the one that I have. It hasn't formed any seed, but I used the pollen to pollinate others that seem to be forming pods. We will see....

And wouldn't you know it! There are 5 blooms open today, and it is raining, so the pollen is wet.

What do you do when the pollen is wet? Is there a way to save it and let it dry out?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

That's My Rain You're Getting!

Ann,

I was wondering what had happened to the rain we were supposed to get last night and today - you still have it! Well, send it on up here will ya, my gardens need it! Lol!

Wet Pollen

Under normal circumstances I don't do anything but wait for the next flower to upen!

Now then, if it is the last bloom and I know rain is in the forecast and it is one I want to use, I will go out the night before and remove the pollen anthers and stamin both, bring them inside and lay them on paper toweling for several hours to dry. I then remove the anthers and place them in an envelope, write the doner name on the outside and then put the envelope into a zip-lock bag and pop it into the freezer until I can use it. You do have to let it thaw out for a bit before you use it, but it works just fine!

If you can catch the flower before it has fully opened and the anthers have gotten wet you can sometimes get it to ripen and dry out enough to use it, just follow the same storage procedures.

The DL you saw on my site is 'Siloam Ury Winniford'. It was introduced by the late Pauline Henry, from Siloam, Arkansas in 1980. The scapes get 23 inches tall, but the bloom is small, only 3.25 inches. It's foliage habit is Dormant and it is a Diploid. I have used it myself with several different cvs, 'Surprisingly Pink', 'White Temptation' and 'Siloam June Bug'. Only got a few seeds from the last pod parent listed and they all failed to germinate. I have 6 or so seedlings from the surprisingly Pink cross and my records indicat I'm supposed to have three from the White Temptation cross, but for the life of me I don't know where they are planted! I think they are in the little annex I had to add this spring to the main seedling bed.

Anyway, as long as you are using the pollen on other diploids you have a good chance of getting something decent. Eyezones are somewhat recessive so you might not see any in the first generation seedlings. If you cross those seedling sibling to sibling it will show up in the next generation.

Bet you didn't expect to get a hybridizing lesson did ya! Hope you were able to make sense of it!

Rebecca

Blog Entries

NEW ASIATIC BLOOMING TODAY!

'CONNECTICUT YANKEE'

Enjoy!

Rebecca

Rebecca your site is beautiful. Where do get the time? Looking forward to seeing more results of your crosses. Solar Flare is WONDERFUL!
    I have a small bloomer called Strawberry Baby. It is very pretty. Have you seen it?
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries

Sue,

I've probably seen 'Strawberry Baby', but I can't put a face to the name right now. It's an age thing, you know!

Thank you for the compliment on my site, have you seen the new page yet? Probably not as it has just been published and then re-published cause I didn't like the colors!

How do I manage it, easy, I have no life! Work, home, work, home, etcetera! That and my house is a total wreck! If the inside looked half as good as the outside I've had it 'maid'! Lol!

Rebecca

Blog Entries

WHITE TIGERS! OH! MY!

I've been up-loading pictures to the photo hosting site and just had to share this one with you. It's one of the last of the Asiatics to come into bloom, and so worth the wait! (I moved all the lilies to their own album.)

The regular Orange Tiger Lilies are at least a month away from blooming, in fact, the Orientals will be in flower before they are! At least with the Orientals I will finally have some fragrance in the garden - and about time too!

Daylilies are starting to pop, a third new seedling should be open tomorrow and perhaps one will (actually) open on the shy one and I'll be able to get a decent photo of it. A couple of the new ones have also bloomed; 'Hollywood Daily' and 'Hawaiian Swirls'. HS doesn't look anything like the photo in the catalog, except when it first opens. Later in the day it is just about georgeous, even if the color isn't the same as depicted. (Sorry, those photos aren't up yet!)

All for now.

Ciao!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries

Lantana

Although not hardy in my zone, I like the Lantanas well enough to grow them in containers and carry them over the winter in the basement light garden. This is a new one, just got it at Wally World.

"Texas Red" Lantana

Also new this spring is this very lovely white lantana:

I also have one that is a lovely shade of Pink, a bright yellow and a burgund red one, of course, none of them are in flower yet!

Enjoy!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Oh, Rebecca!

I have so many of these.... The red, the native one which I have to rid of when it pops up everywhere, the lavender trailing, the white trailing, yellow trailing, and even a variegated leaved one with yellow flowers that has very pretty foliage.

I now have a salmon colored one, but I haven't tried cuttings of it yet. I recently bought it as a hanging basket for 5 dollars. I don't know how hardy it is yet.

The red ones were given to me from a friend that started the cuttings in water. She is REALLY, REALLY good at starting cuttings in water!

Can I trade several for a special lily? I would have to have time to root them first because I am swamped as of late....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

P.S.

Most are hardy here, and the trailing ones can take over. I dig some of them up and give them to 'admirers', especially the lavender one. Everyone seems to really like the way it has 'taken over' my front bed. It is pretty!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

Ann,

I've not seen the variegated foliage type but it sounds lovely! Which lily did you have in mind? Daylily or true lily?

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Your choice!!!! I adore them all!

The variegated ones are not easy to find, even here, so I have not chanced leaving them outside during the winter yet.

I took some cuttings of those last week. I'll have to check to see how they are doing.

Now, if only I could figure out how to get a red, lavender or salmon colored one to have variegated foliage. Now, THAT would be neat!

Send me an email with your mailing address, and as soon as they are rooted well enough to survive shipment, I will send you some!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast