+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Daylily Collection

My Daylily Collection

Hello Everyone!
    Gosh, I 've missed yacking with you all! I am still unemployed so have had to make trips back home a few days a week to work for my old landscaping employer. When I am home it seems all I am doing is watering and taking care of plants..lol.
    Anyway, I finally got a photo album together of all the daylilies I have purchased from Rebecca or on Ebay. Of course, these are all photos of what they SHOULD look like when they bloom..lol.
    Several have bloomed or are in the process of it, even on tiny one fan plants..lol.
    Some of the pics are not that great but what were provided with the auction sale, so bear with me as I get them improved a bit..
    I am experimenting with an idea I had, with one nice clump of a group of 10 unamed, unknown varieties that I got for around $3.00 (no big loss if it doesn't work out!) I actually cut out 6-8 big fat roots, dusted them all in rooting hormone powder and replanted them in a big pot a couple of weeks or so ago.. I just dug up a few to see if anything was happening. They are all growing more roots and root hairs but no green growth yet. Has anyone ever tried this as a way of increasing their stock?
    Will keep you posted on it!
    here is the link to my photo album:

http://hyperphoto.photoloft.com/view...cano&u=1768536

Becki
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

Becki,
    They are all so pretty I had a hard time picking a favorite. I do like that Double Grapette.
    I really enjoyed the slide show feature. You have a beautiful collection. I only have 5 or 6 different daylilies, so far. I have a bunch picked ut to order this fall.
    Enjoy all your beauties.
    tennessee sue

Thanks Sue!

The Double Grapette has not bloomed yet and I am very anxious to see it myself! It looks pretty small, more like a seedling but it does have a scape on it already, so we will see! I didn't even realize the photo album even had a slide show..tee hee.. thanks for pointing it out, now I will have to go look at it too.
    I have a long list of wanna orders for Fall as well, but first I gotta get a job..lol. I HAVE GOT to stay away from Ebay, it is soo addictive, but you sure can get great deals there!
    Thanks for looking at my babies..lol.
    Becki
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

Blog Entries

Becki,

If there is a bit of the crown on those roots they will eventually srpout a new plant. Try to not disturb them though as this breaks off the tiny feeder roots and sets back any chance of getting the root to produce a new fan.

I've done this with chunks of old root ball from the center of crowns that were divided and have has some success with getting them to produce at least one new fan. I've also had piesces of root with just a tiny bit of crown sprout new fans. Roots won't generally grow if there isn't a bit of crown there so if those roots are showing some growth there is a good chance they will sprout a new fan, just don't be pestering them!

On the lines of experimentation, I decided to plant some seed from pods I got fom work. They weren't anywhere near being ripe or mature, but decided to try anyway.

I was a bit lax in getting the pods opened and the seeds planted so they dried out for a couple of days and some of the seed did turn black, which generally indicates it is ripe and ready. Anyway, about half were still white and the other half had turned black when I planted them last night. Tonight I will put them under a light in the basement and leave it on 24/7 until they sprout or don't.

Just FYI, the seeds came from plants labeled as 'Fragrant Treasure' and the other plants blooming in the same group were 'Burgundy Lace'. Since BL is a Tet, there are probably self-pollinated. Have thought aboput what to do with any seedlings that might result, guess I'll give them away since I really don't need any more selfed seedlings!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca!

This is a question that I have answered in numerous emails about daylily and hosta root cuttings, and my answer has been pretty close to yours except that I had to say, 'I suspect' because I have never tried root cuttings of these before.

I didn't think about taking part of the crown, though... That works for dahlia stem cuttings, if you take the cutting at the bulb and include a tiny slither of the bulb.

There are so many things that I would like to try, but so little time to try them. You don't know how much it means to me that all of you are so very willing to share in your experiences and ideas.

Thanks so very much!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

Sharing

Ann and All Reading Along,

If it were not for those gracious individuales who shared their plant knowledge and plants with me when I was frist starting out on this wonderous adventure I probably wouldn't be a gardener today.

Like with any other advocation in life, half of the joy we get out of it is in the sharing of what we have learned with others. Some little tidbit of information may not mean much to the one who passes it on, but it can and does make a, sometimes, huge difference to the one(s) who receive that little tidbit!

Trivial bits of information are not always so 'trivial'! I am glad my small contributions have been able to help.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread