+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: STOP! Don't throw away those Daylily Scapes--there are babies in there!

Hi, Cathy!

Shari tried to send her pictures to me via email, but for some reason, I was unable to open them.

I, for one, learned a lot from this post of Shari's. To tell you the truth, I didn't know much about daylilies at all except that I had been able to grow harvested seed while they were fresh without stratifying them.

I have learned that some daylilies go completely dormant in my climate, where others are more evergreen, still others are somewhere inbetween.

Now, I have learned from Rebecca that some are sterile, and there are two types that must be pollinated by like types.

Niether last year nor this year have any of the developed sizeable proliferations, so I have not tried Shari's experiment. Research on the net now provides just a little more informatin than a year ago. I have learned that some will produce a lot of proliferations one year, and the same plant will not produce any the next year.

I suspect that the spring droughts of this year and last year inhibited some of the production of proliferations. Most of mine are in full sun, and it does get HOT here fast. That may have some impact.

I have read where some people with very hot summers experience problems with wilting. Fortunately, I have never had that problem, but our summer heat is nearly always in the presence of high humidity and frequent thunderstorms from the Gulf as well as a cooling breeze.

I have also learned that there is a paste used by producers called "Lanolin-BAP-1 AA paste". that will increase the number and size of proliferations.

But the biggest lesson that I have learned is that now my daylilies are producing seeds like crazy. I have been spending a few minutes every day the last couple of weeks collecting pollen from some and hand pollinating others. What a difference, but then again, I have always been a seed NUT!

And WOW! Is it FUN!

Perhaps when Shari has time, she can update us with the conclusions from her experiements.

I know that I have learned an awful lot from all of you!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

Question Exactly where are those Daylily Scape EYES at ?

Shari from S.C. indicated : [Re her Grandad's advice in regards to sugar cane which she then applied to daylilies] 'He'd always point out the "eye's" at each joint and say "There's babies in there just waitin' to grow." '
    Ann I know you tried to post her 're-sent' photos and it didn't work, but as I watch my 'native lilies' and others bloom, I'm anxious to know where on the scape are the eyes. The word 'joint' in Sharis' description makes me think they are where there are branches coming off the scape(basically in the vicinity of bracts-assuming there are bracts at these junctions). Is there a good description of how to locate these eyes ?

Blog Entries

PROLIFERATIONS

Guys, I think I have something that might help explain a lot of these terms. Who's a thunk to go to the AHS's web site and seek answers from the experts! Me, dat's who! Here's the link

http://www.daylilies.org/ahs_dictionary/ImageMap.html

Now, then, if you will click on each or any of the descriptive tags you'll be taken to another page that gives the definition as well as a photo illustrating it.

You might also want to check out the daylily dictionary for other daylily terms you are not failure with. The main page of the dictionary is a list of the words and each word is linked to a page giving not only the definition but photos or a graphic as well. There may also be links to other articles that cover the topic in more detail.

Hope this enlightens the whole subject for everyone.

Rebecca

Blog Entries
    Good Morning Rebecca-- Thank you. Whereabouts are the 'eyes' ?
    Thanks !

Blog Entries
    Dazed,

If you remove the bract, you will often find an 'eye' beneath it, especially of a branch didn't form there.

http://www.daylilies.org/ahs_dictionary/bract.html

Check out this page .

Rebecca

Blog Entries
    Woo-Hoo ! Yes ! That was my guess ! Can't wait to give it a try !

Scape proliferations

Some daylilies are more prone to proliferate that others. It does not need a seed pod to do it. It is a desirable characteristic that most people who grow daylilies want in their line of plants. It is considered one way of increasing your stock of plants with out major investment in time or money.
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

I checked out my lilies the other day and there are babies in there! The lilies haven't bloomed yet but the little buds were there on the scapes. These ar 2 different double orange lilies 2 different people gave me. They have never bloomed before cause everytime the cows get out they go straight to this bed and eat them. So if the cows don't get out they should bloom this week. I can't wait.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries

Finally, now I really know what this has been all about...

Proliferations ! To tell you the truth I still didn't get it until I read back several posts and did a search on 'proliferations' instead of dwelling on bracts. I actually found a link with a picture:

http://www.daylilies.org/ahs_diction...iferation.html

Now I know enough to know that I don't have any

For whatever reason prior to looking for this info. I had decided to inspect my daylilies for "eyes" (which I guess if you have them there's no doubt what they are--I don't so I don't know what they look like).

I did yank an agreeable drying scape or two out and wondered if the 'bump' at the base would do anything for me. Would it ?

Blog Entries

Well slap me silly..I've got proliferations !

Found me some proliferations(2) tonite on one of the daylilies I rescued from the demolition project. They are aways back from the flowers and buds and the telltale indicator is a long leaf(not those little shorties up closer to the flowering action) that when gently pulled back reveals a proliferation. So maybe this lily isn't a 'ditch lily' afterall--I didn't think they came bicolor with 3 petals solid and 3 petals with markings.
    I might have another 'prolif' on one of my other daylilies but I'll have to watch it some more. Seems like the trick is to hope the flowering is done before the prolif starts to wither away. Maybe I'll figure out 'eyes' as I move forward.

Cathy!

I did a google image search on just about everything that I could think of in search of a picture for you... Finally, I did a image search on 'root cuttings', and what do you know! A couple of Landspro images were listed! Now, I have to figure out how google found those!

Sometime, in the next few days, I will be moving some of my daylilies, and I will try my best to find one that has a fleshy root with a newly forming eye so that you can see what the term means.

For now, an explanation may help. Many perennials that multiply by roots such as daylily and hosta, will do so by forming a new eye, which simply put, is a new 'crown' forming and will produce a brand new daylily.

Sometimes, when you purchase a bareroot plant, they will tell you to plant the 'eye' or the 'crown' at a specific depth. This is important if the plant is to survive for that is where the new leaf/plant growth will emerge.

In the case of numerous perennials, as Rebecca has mentioned, a root will have formed a (sometimes very tiny) eye that is developing into a new plant. If you catch it just right, and take proper precautions, you can produce a new plant from this root.

With some, like the Stokes Aster, it is easier to propagate from root cuttings than others. It is one of the most fun and productive ways to reproduce plants that do not heavily produce seeds or propagate easily via stem cuttings.

More and more, I am trying to add to my list of plants that can be propagated by root cuttings. There doesn't seem to be a single source, but I can tell you that it is one way to get a LOT of new plants without sacrificing the health of the mother plant...

AND it is FUN!

So, until I can get those pictures, keep observing! You are learning leaps and bounds!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, I have found hardy geraniums start easily by root cuttings. It is so much fun to see a new plant emerge in spring from a little sliver of root you potted in the fall. Comfrey also does well from root cuttings. If you try to dig up a patch you have to get every single piece of root or it keeps coming back. Yucca also does that.
    tennessee sue

Hey, Sue!

What can I say!!! Root and leaf cuttings amaze me, and sometimes I think, WOW! That is the ultimate....

Then I see the bulbils form on the lilum scales and new leaves forming, and I think, Oh, WOW! That is the most fascinating site....

Today, I opened the ziplocs containing the daylily seeds that I harvested not long ago... This time, I added just a few crystals of Soil Moist because, well because, I add already mixed up some vermiculite, perlite and a smidge of soil moist, and it was already moist and ready to use....

This time, I did not put them directly under the fluorescent lights as described on the main Landspro Daylily from Seed page, simply because I am out of room with all the passifloras, amaryllis, etc., but I put them near enough to get some light.

One of the bags was put in another room with no light. And guess what, the ones in the room with light have lots of sprouts in each baggie! The ones in the room with very little light has no sprouts that I could find...

All of the ones that have sprouted were put in the 'baggies' on the evening of July 5th, 8 days ago. They had completely dried up and were shriveled. I fully expected to have to refrigerate them until they broke dormancy, but I didn't have to....

I have been told by daylily growers that some 'types' of daylilies will grow without cold dormancy and some will not. I guess these must be the type that do not require it.

I really don't know, but if someone wants to send me LOTS of seeds, I am willing to give it a try! LAS!!!!

Seriously, I have so much to learn, and I don't think anyone can generalize when it comes to the complicated world of plants.

It's all simply FUN and so very Rewarding, isn't it? Such a JOY to learn and TRY all sorts of new ideas....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

Finally, I have seen an EYE

I think that the 'eye' that Shari was referring to is what appears to be a 'nubbin' just under the bract(leaf). It is a swelled green area with a 'beige' pinpoint center; hence, the appearance of an 'eye'. So, now I've got:
    8 pods a settin',
    3 'prolifs' proliferatin'
    and
    an eye
    on a
    daylily ! Everyone...sing together now

Daylily seed cache!

I noticed a few days ago on my way to visit my daughter, that at the entrance to a condo subdivision, that all their Ruby Stella Daylilies I had been admiring when they were in bloom, had all gone to seed mostly. I thought and thought about who I could ask permission to harvest some of the seeds. This wasn't on anyone's particular property, just all around the entrance. Finally, just ealy last evening, I decided to get some anyway..lol.
    So, here I am out there with a baggie grabbing some seed pods and another lady walks up to me and introduces herself and asks me what I am doing..lol. I was giving her this big speal about being a landscaper/gardener and how me removing the seed pods were not hurting the plant at all and how it was actually making the plant look better, blah, blah, blah.. Well, she happened to LIVE in one of the condos and ended up grabbing some for herself too..lol. She said that the company that maintains the grounds for the condos, just cuts all of the flower scapes down and tosses them (imagine my horror!) so I intend to go back and get some more today..lol. Anyone want some? Email me privately!
    Becki
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast