+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pardanthopsis...

Sue,

The foliage and stems are approximately the same size as the Candy Lily.

The Candy Lily is a cross between the Vesper Iris and the Belamcanda. My understanding is this cross is what resulted in more colors when it comes to Candy Lilies.

According to my records, it was a Belamcanda seedling, but that really doesn't make sense. It would make more sense that one of the Candy Lilies reverted back to the Vesper since it is a parent. Don't you think?

Due to the inconsistancy in germination rates, it is possible that this one got mixed up with the candy lilies. I planted the Belamcanda first, and it was in that group, so anyway I guess that now I am confused about where the seed originated and wonder if I could have made a mistake.

But it doesn't matter! When it first bloomed, I knew it was not as labeled, and marked it accordingly. It only had one bloom last year, but this year it has many. I surely hope it will go to seed.

Rebecca,

Yes! Yes! Yes! I do feel like a lucky dog....

I have not been able to find a source for the Vesper Iris seeds, and I have looked many times since seeing that first bloom.

To me, these plants are perfect companions to my daylilies. At least for me, they bloom at a different time. And they are quite unique!

Tis FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I've been waiting almost a year to see this one bloom again. It did not produce seed last year, and I don't think I will try to pollinate it this year.

There are now two fans. The first is about the same size as second year candy lilies.

Here is a pic with a better camera...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Actually, that old video camera did pretty good, huh?

This will give you an idea of the size.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Yeah, and I'm still GREEN with envy!

Rebecca

Blog Entries
    Yeah, and I'm still GREEN with envy!

Rebecca

Rebecca,

If it produces a third fan this year, I will be sure to send one to you... You have done so much for Landspro!

I am anxious to try to pollinate it, but I don't dare take the chance until I know I will be able to watch it very carefully.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The bumble bees are working the blooms like crazy, and there have been many, many blooms on the original plant. There were only two blooms last year, I think.

Maybe, just maybe, I will have seed this year!

I don't know what the seed will produce, if it does. There are candy lilies in the front bed, and I have this one in the back yard.

MMMMMMHHHHH!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Rebecca, Rebecca, Rebecca!

There are two seed pods. The seed pods are longer and not as fat on the end like the Candy lilies. The bumble bees really worked hard on these.

And the fan that is in its second year has bloomed and bloomed and bloomed. There must have been at least a dozen blooms so far. I have not purposely tried to hand pollinate it, but I am hopeful about the 2 seed pods.

The second fan has not bloomed and there is no sign of a third fan YET! If I send you the second fan and some seed, will you have room for them this fall or would you rather than I try to start them here?

The seedlings seem to overwinter fine without protection of any kind. I noticed that the candy lilie that are in filtered afternoon shade do not have burned tips on the leaves like the ones by the mailbox which are in full sun and get less water (hard to reach with a hose). Also, the ones by the mailbox are not in soil that is well mulched over the years. That could also make a difference. There seems to be more red clay there, probably due to the construction of the road.

Isn't it amazing how some plants just intrigue you? Especially those that surprise you from seed?

I tend to be overprotective of those that are extra special, and this particular plant is one of those.... I still cannot find the seed anywhere!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann, Ann, Ann!

How wonderful! Don't you just love those busy bees!

I want to say send it NOW!, but I actually think it would be better to wait until Spring so the plant has plenty of time to adjust to a totally new climate, and any seeds you send can start life in this climate. Remember, I have real winters here! LOL!

I left a bunch of the Blackberry/Candy Lily seeds in a plastic bag in the fridge too long and a lot of them sprouted, some didn't and more just rotted! Yuck, what a mess. So as to not have to deal with it I simply dumped the contents onto the top of a bulb pan filled with mix and gave them the L/D Blessing. I potted up all the biggest ones into 6-inch pots a couple of months ago and several of the small, but strong looking ones went into another, larger bulb pan. Those are ready for individual pots now! When I planted the new mound bed, I put several of these seedlings in it at strategic locations and one older seedling, that I dug up out of the daylily seedling bed and planted it in the "Liberty" bed. That thing has at least 10 fans, probably more, and has bloomed itself silly all summer. About the time I think it's finished and I can cut most of the bloom stems off, it puts out more bloom! It must know I'm planning on cutting most of it's seeds off and not letting them develop any further! Every bloom on this plant has set a pod! I think I have enough of these started for now. I'll probably be selling several of the potted ones next fall after they bloom and I know what they are.

One thing I have learned from growing these from seed is that they totally resent being planted too deep, and if they stay too wet, they rot. I mean they rot, right now!

This Pardanthopsis will get a favored spot in the mound bed, perhaps on the back side of it where it will get some shade. Of course, the soil there is the best that my money could buy - it's nearly all 'Magic Earth' potting soil! Twelve cubic feet of it! I have a few annuals in it this year for color, but I doubt there will be room for annuals next year! I am planning on sowing a few pansy seeds in it this fall for early color since I didn't get any Spring bulbs planted in it. Oops!

Keep me posted on how those seed pods are doing and if you think of it and have time (I know time is getting scarce for you), see if you can count the bloom scars and maybe measure the scapes so I'll have an idea about how tall it will get.

All done now!

Rebecca

Rebecca,

The fans are 12 inches at the widest point and 17" tall at the tallest point. The scape is 27" tall. It forks to two branches just below the tallest leaf and then keeps forking left to right (same as the fan) rather than in all directions. It's hard to explain. If you were to cut the scape and place it on a piece of paper, all of the branches would touch the paper. None would be sticking up.

I tried to pick it up to remove it from surrounding plants so that I could get a good picture, but it has rooted through the holes of the pot and into the ground. I will wait until it is dormant to give it a bigger home.

I counted 21 past, present and future blooms. Yes, more keep emerging. And guess what?!?! There are now 3 definite pods. It's too soon to tell about some of the others, but I suspect there will be more.

FUN! FUN! FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I almost forgot. The candy lily seeds appear to remain viable for a long time without refrigeration. I just let them dry out before placing them in a paper envelope.

Of course, I don't know about this one since it is somewhat of an accident.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Correction!

There were at least 35 blooms and more being produced.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I had hoped to get some cloud cover so that the sun wouldn't be so bright, but I decided to take these real fast right before the rain started coming down. It's one of those strange rans where you still see lots of sunshine.

Here' the larger seed pod...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

This is the top of the scape...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

This is the other two seed pods...
    Attached Images