+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pardanthopsis...

Pardanthopsis...

I've not been able to find this seed anywhere!

But quite by accident, one of the Belamcanda chinensa seedlings that I sowed produced a Pardanthosis, and I was in awe... I remember writing Shari of SC about it because it was not at all the bloom that I expected...

So, why am I mentioning it?

Well, it is because of a spectular and easy plant to grow from seed for your gardens. The foliage looks identical to a miniature Iris, but the bloom is more delicate, smaller, and it produces seeds like you would not believe!

It is called the 'Candy Lily', and the botanical name is Pardancanda. Most of the common ones will be yellow or orange, but if you are lucky, they are reds and purples.

These are a cross between Belamcanda chinensis and Pardanthopsis, the hard to find one.

Belamcanda seeds are somewhat expensive, but the Candy Lily Seeds (Pardancanda) are not. I purchased 25 seeds for 97 cents at Walmart, and I assure you that all of the germinated.

Parkseeds has some that they claim to be more colorful. I haven't tried those, but I encourage you to give them a try.

They are quite FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, I have some candy lilies growing in my perennial bed. I would be glad to share seed with everyone. Mine are mostly yellow and reddish-orange spotted. They are finishing up blooming now so seed should be ready in a couple of weeks.
    Anyone wanting some please send me a private message with your address.
    tennessee sue

Sue,

You are wonderful!

These are so very pretty and neat and so very easy!!

Thank you for offering seed to Landspro members...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

BTW mine grow much taller than a regular iris, or this has just been an exceptional year for them.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries

Ann and All Reading Along,

I collected seed heads from what I thought were all Blackberry Lilies growing in a Garden at my local park. Some bloomed last year at only a year old and more have bloomed this year. Unfortunately, most of what bloomed last year did not survive the spring rollercoaster ride and died out. They may have been planted too deep.

Anyway, I have managed to get a couple of nice images of the two different ones that have bloomed this year. I call the dark spotted one a "Blackberry Lily" and the other a "Candy Lily", the reproductive parts on these look the same to me so I am not all that certian either is a bi-generic hybrid.

Take a look and see if you can notice any difference.

Rebecca

Well, I was going to say that one has specs and the other doesn't, but then I looked at the Burpee seed package, and it shows a picture of some with specs and some without.

So, I turned the package over and read the back, and sure enough, it says some have specs and some do not.

Other than that, I don't see much difference except for color...

So, I give up!

What's the difference?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

Ann,

Actually I was looking for any differences in the reproductive parts! I haven't been able to detect any, so these are both either 'Blackberry Lilies" or Candy Lilies", although the seed pods are the very same as for the "Blackberry Lily", which when fully ripened look like (giant) blackberries, hence the common name.

I have read and seen photos somewhere on-line discribing both the Belamcanda chinensis and the Pardanthopsis, the reproductive parts showed different structures. Of course the bi-generic hybrids' structure was, if I remember correctly, somewhere inbetween the two, or it looked like the Blackberry lily. (It's he(( when the memory fails!)

I guess what I'm really wondering about is what are these two? Are they the bi-generic hybrid or is the spotted one a Belamcanda and the non-spotted one a Pardancanda, or are the both the latter?

Either way, they are both lovely additions to the perennial border and very easy to grow from seed and I highly reccomend them!

Rebecca

PS

I took new images today and one I get them up-loaded from the camera and onto the hosting site I'll be able to share them with y'all.

Honest to goodness, Rebecca! The flowers and the plants look the same to me with one exception, the flower color... Everything I have read tells me that the Belamcanda is orange with red spots whereas the Candy Lily comes in a variety of colors with and without the spots.

Other than that, they appear to be very similar in shape and size.

The 'Vesper Iris' which was crossed with the Blackberry Lily and resulted in the Candly Lily has a smaller flower and looks much more like a very tiny, miniature iris bloom. It is a light blue with an ever so light touch of lavenderish tinge in it.

I hope that the one that bloomed first that is identical to the Vesper Iris will bloom again. I will be certain to get a picture of it this time. It is VERY different and seems to be a plant that is hard to find on the market.

Let me know if you find out differently and/or more....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

Seed Source

Ann and All,

Here's a seed source for the Candy Lily as well as other interesting plants that can be grown from seed. Prices are most reasonable too!

http://www.tsflowers.com/seeds.html

Rebecca

Nice seed site, Rebecca!

Have you ever ordered from them? Know of anyone that has?

I noticed that they have Belamcanda. They are calling it Belamcanda chinesis 'yellow', but according to my bulb books, that is actually a different variety of Belamcanda called B. flabellata which is closely related and has solid yellow blooms. Looks like a nice variety to have, but needs a little less sun and more water, and water I seem to have as of late...

I'll have to do some more poking around their site. A $1 for a package of seeds is 'goodness', isn't it?

Thanks so much for sharing that with us!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Nope, haven't ordered from there, just ran across it while searching for info on the Vesper Iris. Nice find, wasn't it! I think I'll make the site available off line so I can brouse around at my ease!

Rebecca

Candy Lily Seed Pod

I've been watching this one for awhile. I plan to harvest it late this afternoon. See the crack?

Candy Lily Seed Pod:

There are more seed pods forming, and quite a few Candy Lilies still just now starting to bloom.

FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Here you go, Rebecca!

The SURPRISE...

I have been watching these flower buds develop for a long time now. They don't open for very long, so I checked again an hour or so again, and guess what?

It opened!

The Vesper Iris...

Definitely NOT a Candy Lily...

Isn't it pretty? I am thrilled!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, How beautiful. Definately not the candy lily I have.How tall does the plant itself get?
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries

Ann,

I am possitively GREEN with envy! You lucky dog! Your image is better than any I've ever seen of the 'Vesper Iris' and such a nice job of photographing it too!

Rebecca

Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast