+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tiger lily bulbils

Tiger lily bulbils

Hi All,
    O.K. I'm a little confused. . . . . I harvested these bulbils 5 days ago, and put them in a zippered bag with moist soiless mix, on a south window sill. They have now sprouted. I thought they would need cold stratification, but apparently not! Since Tom lost his that he planted in the ground. I will pot them up, so I know where they are.

I have 2 nice sized ones, and a little one that is about 8 inches tall. The little one even had some bulbils (6) on it, but no flower buds. The flowers haven't opened, yet the bulbils were just sitting there.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

I hope you have better luck than I did with them. The ones that I did do in containers. are just setting there, with one little leaf on each one. The "Bulb" is about as big as the end of my little finger, after a whole year!

Keep good notes and let us know how it turns out.

Last year, my neighbor let me dig some of his tigers out from among the weeds, and shade. The bulbils were very small, just about the size of a green pea, and the plants only got about 2' tall. The bulbs I brought home were really nice sized, and I planted about 15 in this one spot out front, in full sun, and lots of compost. They got about 5' tall, and bloomed really nice. They were loaded with large bulbils, some really big ones. Something came along and broke one stalk, and the bulbils on that one got quite large.

If I had known you wanted to try them I could have collected some for you. I planted about 100, (some in cell packs, and some in the ground, again) and probably that many more dropped off. There may be a few still out there if you want them. Let me know and I'll check.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Tom,
    Thanks anyways but I'll just go with these 30 or so I got for now.

Maybe you planted them to deep?

Thanks!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

You may be right Vicki, I was out yesterday looking around the plants and started to pick one that had fallen on the ground. There was no indication on the top, but a root had formed and pushed it's way into the ground, so I just left it.

I picked a few more and planted them in one of the large trays that I use for tree seeds. I simply pushed them slightly into the mix, and then sprinkled sand over them enough to hold them still. So now I have three tests going.

I have noticed that they put on a lot of really fine roots. It appears that they cannot stand to be pot bound, and will stop growing once they are. That may be the reason for such little growth on the ones from last year. I'm going to move them into slightly larger containers and see what happens, but for this year I think most of the growth is over.
    Last edited by Tom; 07-26-2003 at 08:19 AM.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

bubil update

Hi,
    Just thought I'd drop a note and say that the bubils are just sitting there. They still look nice and plump, not shriveled or anything. I just barely pushed them into the top of the soil and been keeping them moist.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Hi All,
    Almost all the bulbils I planted now have 1 little teeny leaf sticking out. I checked around the tigers that I have planted in my front bed and have 3 little leaves sticking up also. Must've been the ones that fell off before I harvested the other ones. I also didn't know they are on the endangered list here.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread