+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Potting mix

Potting mix

Hi All,

I have a significant number of bare-root shrubs being shipped to me this week.

The pots are ready, but I need a large quantity of potting mix.

There is a mulch yard local to me that grinds pine, poplar, and hardwood bark to a fine consistency, and sells it by the tractor scoop to the local growers. The yard owner tells me that the growers mix it with builders sand and sometimes perlite.

I do have a compact tractor with a front-end-bucket, so I can haul-in the ground mulch and sand, mixing the products with the bucket, on the ground.

Do you have any suggestions on how I should proceed, maybe on the correct sand to mulch ratio, and any other amendments I might add.

potting mix

gg-I hope someone else is more familiar with this type of barkmix. The hardwoods in there might make quite a difference.

I have used fir/hemlock bark, 1/2in. minus, for years with great success. Using this uncomposted bark, I add probably 25% composted steer manure, plus a dusting of dolomite/gypsum, and that works great.

I have not seen sand used in potting mixes here, as the weight and sogginess it adds are undesirable. The Ag Dept here cautions to never add more than 10% sand to a mix, it will decrease the drainage. Perlite works better, but is too expensive for regular potting mixes.

I mix by laying down a layer of both materials in the rough proportion I like, dusting on the limes, then running the rototiller back and forth until it is well mixed.

As I say, your mix of barks might work quite different than mine. Still couldn't see using sand in it, unless you needed the weight for stability of the pot/plant in wind...

Glen in BC

Welcome to Landspro, gardengym!

I visited your website, and it is quite nice. I love that dark red daylily!

Thank you for adding a link to the Landspro Forums!!!

Regarding your question.... I think the answer depends on what it is you are trying to grow and how coarse your builder's sand is. Ours tends to be very fine, and I would think that you would want to use a more coarse grade of sand.

I found an article that may help. It includes numerous "recipes" for potting mixes...

Organic Potting Mixes for Certified Production

Enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Thanks Ann B.

The link is exactly what I need.

Seems like experimentation is called for.

+ Reply to Thread