+ Reply to Thread

Thread: retired moving to SC.

retired moving to SC.

Well the best laid plans. . . . . . .

Selling out in Ohio and moving to SC.

Started selling my plants -- mostly japanize red maples and burning bush -- about 300 each in trade gallons 2 weeks ago.

Auction planned for mid august to sell the household nursery containers the two 6x8 greenhouses (sunshine gardenhouses) and what ever is left. Also selling house and 5+ acres.

Relocating near Manning SC on Lake Moultrie.

Retirement was a few years earlier than I had planned but Adjusted to idea.

Now here is the question and request for help unlandscaped property in SC starting from scratch and I am not sure what will grow there besides southern pine. I have hundreds or perieniels and don't know if I will try to move any as they would have to be dug in August.

All suggestions appreciated
    Jim
    Jim Lang

Jim,

You will find that many of your plants will relocate, but as you mentioned, the trick is going to be the heat. You might consider potting them up now before it gets too hot.

Fall is probably the best time of the year to plant hardy trees, shrubs, bulbs, perennials, etc. in zone 8.

Do you have any weigela? Mine are growing beautifully. If you can get them potted up in 3 gallon containers, you can either plant them in the fall just before winter or leave them in the pots outdoors, unprotected until spring to have them planted.

I'm not sure about your azaleas. Some varieties that do well in the North are said not to do as well here, but you could try them in the shade.

Rhodo's are definitely a trick here, as well as clematis, but they can be done!

Can you give us a better idea of what you have that you might want to relocate?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

PS

Japanese Red Maple will definitely grow well in zone 8. They are grown in full sun here, and they grow fairly fast.....

Can you list your perennials?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread