+ Reply to Thread

Thread: does anyone repot plants for sale?

does anyone repot plants for sale?

or do you leave them in the potting soil or whatever? it seems a lot of the plants I buy at the stores are so light and dry they must be in 100 percent peat?

Randy,

I repot everything, almost immediately, especially hibiscus! Many of them are already root bound, and you are right! They do not always add enough amendments to keep the soil moist. Around here, it is mostly peat moss and southern pine bark, perhaps a tiny bit of sand for drainage.

I can't tell you how much easier it is if you repot right away. The only things I do not repot immediately are succulents unless they are obviously overcrowded.

But then again, I am a late season, bargain shopper and, thus, the plants being root bound and in need of a bigger pot and better quality soil mix.

Anyone else care to share tips on this?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I usually do repot for several reasons. I try to buy the fullest pot I can and divide the plants. And as Ann said they are usually root
    bound or need a different potting mix.Some plants rely take off growing after a repot and some TLC. Most plants bought at stores have ben neglected. I also rpot plants I have bought wholesale for the same reasons.
    tennessee sue

Does anyone repot plants for sale ?

Randy I do repot my plants. Just finished a load of cuttings, but havent got to the 1 gallons yet. Were in a hot spell right now. I started potting 7o in the mornig and had to retire at 1:30.

I do agree that a lot of stock contain a lot of peatmoss, wholesalers cut that corner, cheaper Just enough that it just gets out the door. Pots with peat dryout very fast. No beneficial nutrients added to maintain a long life in the nursery all summer.

George.

+ Reply to Thread