+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Veronica incana(Speedwell)/Blue Sapphire Salvia

Blog Entries

Veronica incana(Speedwell)/Blue Sapphire Salvia

As I mentioned in the Rudebekia post, I've been shopping. I read those little plastic tags and believe them. Then I get home, search on the internet and wonder if those plastic tags are just leading me down the 'primrose path'
    So, now I look up Veronica Incana and see that it likes 'Full Sun'. The tag said full sun to partial shade. I'm holding off planting them till I hear from you guys.

The best I can offer these plants is 'partial shade'.

The plastic tag on the Blue Sapphire Salvia says full sun to shade. Should I believe that one too ?
    I'm off to plant the others........

Thank you, Cathy

Cathy,

Based on a google search using the plant name and the word 'shade', example 'Veronica Incana shade', you should be fine with part shade.

Have FUN digging! It's too hot to dig here at the moment... Hot and Sticky! 50-60% chance of rain this afternoon, so maybe some clouds will come this way and a little breeze would help!

Enjoy...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Cathy,

I have both plants. The veronica that gets the most sun, is looking much better than the other, but neither gets "Full Sun". They get morning sun, and a little bit of late afternoon sun, thats it. The first year I really worried about them because they just didn't seem to be doing well. The next year they did a little better then this year, they look about like I expected them to. I will not be propagating or buying any more.

The Salvia is in full sun, and is almost as tall as me. I know it's over 5' tall, and has really spread in the three years I've had them. I have short red salvia in front of the blue, but its new this year, so it's not showing up as well as I'd like. The other Salvia that I purchased at the same time expired at the end of the first year. It was in a clay soil spot and WAY too much shade.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    Thanks Tom. As I was making my selections, I had to consider that these plants had been in the Kansas environs for up to 2 months and if they looked bedraggled, that may not be a good indicator of their vitality in this weather. The Speedwell looked healthy but on the small side--your post sounds almost like my assessment of them--I'll give them the best treatment I can and see how they do.
    I'm excited about the Blue Sapphire Salvia--they were so healthy looking and tall already--one had flowers on it(couldn't resist--OK, it was more like if hubby asked what the heck is that(looking at the one without flowers) , I could say look at this one(the one with flowers)--see the pretty blue flowers).
    I also really like the Moneywort--I really like yellow-green in shady areas. It sounds like that stuff spreads and can be divided(my kinda plant).

Tom--how wide do those Blue Sapphire Salvias get ?

Thanks,Cathy

Cathy,

They are not, like, out-of-control or anything like that. In the three years they have been there, They have expanded to around 5' wide, just because I have never done anything to restrict the spread. I guess that is what you mean by 'wide'. Otherwise, each individual plant only gets a foot wide or so. But as Ann will tell you, and you will see from some of my pictures, I prefer to have a mass of the same plant. and this and the yellow spreading Lantana under it are perfect for that. It has been pouring rain here for the last few days, and most of the flowers have been beaten off but as soon as I can, I'll get a picture for you of both beds and post it here.

I'm thinking of taking a few root divisions next spring and trying to get them established in a couple of spots around the lake. I hope they will be dense enough to shade out the weeds under them. If not, I may just let them compete until one or the other wins. ;-}
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries

Blue Sapphire Salvia

Tom or anyone with this plant- My 2 Blue Sapphire Salvias have 'made it' thus far. Interestingly, one ended up in a pot(had to get it out of the way of tree trimmers) placed on the north side of my house right before the front steps along the walkway to the door. The other is at the end of my driveway(north) with tree braches overhead. So which has done best ? The one along my walkway currently is in bloom(what a vibrant color!) and has grown. The other one is alive not as tall and not in bloom. I would say that the one in the pot has had more opportunities to get watered than the one at the end of the driveway. Currently, the plan is to move them to the west side of my house. They will get beaucoup sun in the afternoon there and it will get downright hot in the summer--is this OK ?
    And my number one question is this.... They are somewhat scraggly right now, they are not full, their branches have turns in them--what can I do to get fullness---I guess they will be dying back anyway in the winter and start over in the spring, huh ?
    Thanks,Cathy
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

I am hoping to get a pic of mine sometime this week. It is also in too much shade. It is on the north side of my home, near my patio and under pecan trees. It is just now starting to produce sizeable blooms.

It is leggy, and some of the limbs are touching the ground, trying to root. It looks healthy, though. It's in a large pot, 3-5 gallons or so. It is sitting exactly where I put it when I took it outside after overwintering it.

It actually is doing better than a similar variety that is in full sun and in a bed that is protected from the cold north wind. Obviously, they are different varieties.

I am not really anxious to put this potted one in the ground until I can manage to root cuttings. I like the blooms and the foliage better, so I don't want to lose it.

Tom obviously has more experience than I have with the perennial salvia, so I am anxious to hear what he has to say.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The extent of my "experience" with the salvia is that three years ago I bought 2. One of them died and the other is growing like gangbusters!

I was visiting a local small nursery one day and they had several growing along a fence, and they were in full bloom. They told me they were perennial, so I planted them out in the yard.

In the early spring they came up from the ground, from the roots, and had spread to about a 3' base, but I hesitated and they got too large to take divisions before I got around to it.

Last month, while I was doing some deadheading, I took several cuttings (about 3" long) stuck them in light rooting medium and plopped them down in the mist system. The are still in there, and all are still doing well, some are starting to bloom. I'll probably transfer them to 4" or 6" pots and over winter them in the garage. I don't mind if they go dormant, just feel their roots may freeze outside.

I think they must be naturally sparse growing, and have a tendency to lean over, especially when it rains, and would suspect the less sun they get, the more sparse they would be. Next year I intend to keep them pinched back, or pruned somewhat to see if they will fill in a bit. But it sure is hard to clip out what you know will be those early, full flowered spires.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

I have this relatively small plant that I think is perhaps a perennial salvia, but it is not tall at all. It was a seedling from one of those seed packages marked 'mixed perennials', and all I know is that it comes back every year, is not much more than a foot tall and blooms from spring until frost.

Beside it is the pink cornflower that has such wonderful foliage when it is not in bloom. It was also a seedling from the same 'mixed' perennial seed package and quite a treat. It took me awhile to identify it, and all I know is that I want more of them. Since that time, I have purchased seeds for a blue/purple variety that I hope to get started soon.

Tom, I think your salvia is similar to mine, and perhaps you can tell me more when I manage to post some pictures of it. There is no doubt in my mind that if it were placed in more sun, it would have bloomed much earlier.

Anyway, I do like it!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Salvias

Hi All,
    I grew from seed last year, 'east friesland' salvia. They didn't get very big last year because I started them late. But I must have 30+ nice sized plants this year. I love them! They have bloomed now since late June and they are still blooming. A very pretty dark purple. I have some planted in full sun, hardly ever water them, and they are really bushy & pretty. The ones in part shade and shade get more water and they are leggy and the blooms are no where near as nice. I found here they are quite drought tolerant.
    Planted them in a bed with garden phlox (br. pink) and they look good. Should not have planted dahilas along one side as they want more water. Live and learn I guess!
    BTW I literally couldn't give them away last year, but when those same people seen them this year, they wanted some!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries

Propagation Methods for Sapphire Blue Salvia & SOTM

I think that I've read on this message chain two methods for propagating the Sapphire Blue Salvia: Root and Stem.
    I guess I would have thought stem but root was a surprise. I'll try anything just wanted to verify.(By the way has anyone ever seen a seed on this plant).
    Also, as I was wrestling(because of those extensive roots) some Snow on the Mountain into a pot for a give-away, I wondered if it might be a candidate for the root propagation method--does anyone know ?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 09-14-2003 at 07:55 PM.

Blog Entries

Snow on the Mountain

I think that there might be a number of plants called Snow on the Mountain. I am enclosing a link to show what one I am wondering if it can be propagated by root cuttings. It is a ground cover with roots that travel far and wide. Thanks.
    http://www.stratsplace.com/gardendiary/snowonmtn.html

This plant is also known as Bishop's Weed. The other "snow on the mountain" is a euphorbia I think. We divide our bishops weed. I really don't know if it can be started from root cuttings.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread